Collectable Firearms & Ammo: different treatment for MA customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many times I have been asked for my MA LTC in NH. Always with a CC purchase because I refuse to sign my CC and write See ID. They ask for my ID, see I am from MA and ask for my LTC. Now I just show them my LTC when they ask for ID. Not a problem from my perspective.

If you are from MA and buying ammo in NH and get asked for your LTC cut them some slack. They are just following the law and trying t stay in business. It is nothing personal.

If you are from MA and buying ammo in NH and get asked for your LTC cut them some slack. They are just following the law and trying t stay in business. It is nothing personal.

There's no law though, that dictates that specific action. There's no federal or state law in NH that applies geographical predjudice to the sale of ammunition. There are some vendors like SO, and border-town walmarts in NH though that do it, probably as a result of some kind of lawyerism that they cobbled up, but that isn't "the law" as it were, though. I don't get bent like others here do about it, but it is important to know the difference between the law and what I would call "vendor self feel-good games" [laugh]

-Mike

Can you cite the law you are referring to?

As for the OP, I have never had an issue at Collectables, as a MA resident or NH resident. Sorry your experience wasn't what you were expecting. Have fun shopping in MA, pay your sales tax and be merry.

I never stated my "experience wasn't what" I expected. I made absolutely no statement of expectations.
Gratuitous comment that was uncalled for.
OP == Original Poster, #1 in the thread, ie: Not you.

No, it's statement of fact. If anyone has issues shopping in NH for whatever reason, there is nothing requiring a person to leave their state of residence to make a purchase of ammunition. There are several MA shops that apparently have 22lr stocked (see previous posts). I'm sorry your ... feelings? were hurt.

No, it's statement of fact. If anyone has issues shopping in NH for whatever reason, there is nothing requiring a person to leave their state of residence to make a purchase of ammunition. There are several MA shops that apparently have 22lr stocked (see previous posts). I'm sorry your ... feelings? were hurt.

Sorry, my bad. I am batting 0 today and should just STFU.

22's at four seasons cases up to your armpits . occasionally restricted to 2 bricks , but mostly all you can pay for and carry :) and not crap like f'ing thunderbolts .
I was there yesterday and they had a shitload of .22 stacked on the floor. All different types. I picked up 500 CCI mini mags & 2 bricks of CCI Quiet. [smile]

Last edited:
Seems the issue is that they were setting limits for Ma buyers. Pretty pathetic. Never shopped there, but being a 30+ year NH resident, that pretty much sucks. Seems some of the previous posters have a problem with reading comprehension, the OP was pissed about being limited for their residency, not the ID check that is ..oh so Wal Mart. Also, I wonder how many of the "move to NH" simpletons , are Massho11e transplants????

I'm from mass and I don't really care . They been nice to me . Gave me a free tool kit to go with my nagant pistol after I told them I've been trying to find one for sale.

I was there yesterday and they had a shitload of .22 stacked on the floor. All different types. I picked up 500 CCI mini mags & 2 bricks of CCI Quiet. [smile]

how much are they charging though? Even Cabela's now has Mini Mags and SV for $9/box. Not sure if they have them in the Berlin store.

If the policy is only made public, and only verbally, when one goes to the register that is a shitty way to do business.

how much are they charging though? Even Cabela's now has Mini Mags and SV for $9/box. Not sure if they have them in the Berlin store.
$8.99. But I did ask Carl for a discount on the dozen .50 cal ammo cans I bought and he gave me $40 off, so I'm good. [smile]

*sorry for the thread drift guys

You had to show you ltc to buy pants ?

+1 were you naked or something?

Stay tuned, gents...

IIRC wasn't this because of a credit card being used and they wanted ID? [laugh]

...winner, winner, chicken dinner!
(Although I didn't realize it was just for credit card verification until after the transaction completed).

Me: [Slaps down Master Card]
Clerk: May I see some ID, please?
Me: Sure.
Me: [(Having been LTC-checked for ammo purchases there) passive-aggressively produces NH P&RL]
Clerk: That doesn't have a picture.
[BTW, that's false. It has a picture - but of some Old Man, not me].
Me: [Slipping the P&RL next to the Mass. LTC, prior to fishing out a Mass driver's license...]
Clerk: [Pointing at the LTC, ] Oh, that has a photo!
Me: [Fishes out LTC]
Clerk: [Compares LTC photo to my face] Yep, that's you, thanks.
Me: [The guys on NES are gonna love this one.]

Can you cite the law you are referring to?

As for the OP, I have never had an issue at Collectables, as a MA resident or NH resident. Sorry your experience wasn't what you were expecting. Have fun shopping in MA, pay your sales tax and be merry.

Damn dude, are you just in a bad mood, personally know the owners, it's your favorite shop, or you hate us MA serfs[smile]? Either way, it seems like you didn't read the entirety of my original post and just decided to start being a badass, because you missed the actual issue that everyone's been discussing. Correct, the experience wasn't what I was expecting, because it was a complete difference from my previous times there; I've always been courteously treated, which is why I'm a repeat customer. It's also not an issue of sales tax, because as I stated, it's a convenient stop from when I'm up there in the area anyway, not because I only buy ammo in NH.

On the subject of Thunderbolt. Dick's used to have a special $10 a brick back about 10 years ago, it wasn't worth the $10 then and it sure isn't worth whatever they are charging now. But the real Thunderbolt is coming up in less than a month!!! The backcountry ski race down Mt Greylock on the historic Thunderbolt Trail and the Thunderfest afterwards in downtown Adams, in my opinion the best winter event in MA, and its free! After the race there is a chowder contest, bonfire, local beer and live music.

So was the limit just for .22 or just for Mass residents or just for Asian Mass residents? On a side note, I bought multiple boxes of Winchester white box .22 a couple months ago. Happy at the time, but now seeing CCI mini-mags everywhere is very annoying.

I would never go there and would discourage other people as well. Are you in business to make money or in business to be communist? If there concerned about locals getting pissed that there in business to make money then have customers get put on a list for when ammo comes in. If its on the shelf its for sale. Buy 1 or buy it all, thank you sir/ma'am have a good day and "thank you" for your business (my opinion).

Stay tuned, gents...

...winner, winner, chicken dinner!
(Although I didn't realize it was just for credit card verification until after the transaction completed).

Me: [Slaps down Master Card]
Clerk: May I see some ID, please?
Me: Sure.
Me: [(Having been LTC-checked for ammo purchases there) passive-aggressively produces NH P&RL]
Clerk: That doesn't have a picture.
[BTW, that's false. It has a picture - but of some Old Man, not me].
Me: [Slipping the P&RL next to the Mass. LTC, prior to fishing out a Mass driver's license...]
Clerk: [Pointing at the LTC, ] Oh, that has a photo!
Me: [Fishes out LTC]
Clerk: [Compares LTC photo to my face] Yep, that's you, thanks.
Me: [The guys on NES are gonna love this one.]

*yawn*

You make it sound, based on the store, that they specifically wanted to see your LTC for the purchase of pants, and then drop this bullshit story? FFS.

*yawn*

You make it sound, based on the store, that they specifically wanted to see your LTC for the purchase of pants, and then drop this bullshit story? FFS.

You're reading too far into his post. Waaaay too far...

I think it's pretty much subjective..
I live in MA so I think this policy sucks.. But if I lived in NH I'd probably love it... Then again, if I was the Governor of NH I'd probably pull a Donald - and build a f*ckin moat around the entire NH/MA border.....

Just sayin' [emoji6]
Then how would people that live in southern NH get to work?

Collectable Firearms & Ammo: different treatment for MA customers

Not everyone who lives in S. NH has stooped to employment south of the border. Plenty of work up here. Fidelity, Raytheon, BAE, L-3, Decca, Sig Sauer, etc., etc... Small business is cheaper up here, too.

Last edited:
Personally I'd have a discussion with Keith or Alexi about that policy. They should post it if that is going to be their policy.

On the other hand, they may have saved you aggravation. I wouldn't give away Thunderbolts to my worst enemy. It's the only .22 ammo that has leaded up my Wife's handgun (S&W 622) so bad that I bent a cleaning rod and destroyed 2 brushes cleaning that crap out. I had serious problems selling off all that crap I still had at $1.50 (what I paid for it) per box.

I agree with everything Len said here. 1) if this is indeed their policy, it shouldn't be arbitrary, but rather posted in plain view in the ammo area. 2) that guy absolutely did the OP a huge favor by not making him waste his money on crap .22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom