• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collectable Firearms & Ammo: different treatment for MA customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share an unfortunate experience that I had here yesterday. So I'm up near Merrimack, NH about once a month because my wife shops at the outlets there. I usually drop her off and make a quick stop at Collectable Firearms and Ammo to pick up some .22 ammo if they have any. I've never had any issues before buying multiple boxes, but that all changed yesterday. They had about 10 boxes of 500 count Remington Thunderbolts, so I grabbed 4 of them to check out. Here's the exact dialogue.

Clerk: "Are you a New Hampshire resident?"
Me: "No."
Clerk: "Then I'm gonna have to restrict you to one box."
Me: "Really?"
Clerk: "Yeah, I don't wanna get cleaned out. I wanna have some for local customers."
Me: "Okay then."
Clerk: "Yep, sorry, tough world."

I'm not a confrontational guy, so I don't bother arguing about my previous purchases there. As I'm driving back though, I get more and more annoyed at the arbitrary implementation of this, in my view, unequal policy. I may not be a "local customer", but by his definition, it didn't matter how far away you lived, as long as you came from somewhere in NH. I'm also a repeat customer there, it wasn't like it was my first time going in there, looking to neckbeard and clear him out of 22 ammo, the prices of which weren't even that great. I understand restricting ammo, so many shops do it for 22lr, even Shooter's Outpost, and I don't mind if it's clearly stated and enforced for all customers. What annoyed me was that it was just set forth based on a very vague idea of where you're coming in from, and that there are different sets of rules based on where you live. I left with my one box and ended up just driving another 20 minutes up to Riley's, plenty of ammo, no restrictions [grin].

This is not a dig at Collectable Firearms and Ammo. Like I said, I go there often, and in the past, I've always been treated nicely. No nonsense with checking my LTC or anything, just carding me to make sure I was of legal age to purchase (Asian genetics...) I'll probably still swing by out of convenience when I take my wife shopping, for my allotted 1 box as a MA resident. I just wanted to share my experience with this new policy. What do you guys think?

I think it's pretty much subjective..
I live in MA so I think this policy sucks.. But if I lived in NH I'd probably love it... Then again, if I was the Governor of NH I'd probably pull a Donald - and build a f*ckin moat around the entire NH/MA border.....

Just sayin' [emoji6]

Not stopping me. I'll continue to shop there. Bought my last handgun there, going to buy a rifle there soon. But I'm local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I'd have a discussion with Keith or Alexi about that policy. They should post it if that is going to be their policy.

On the other hand, they may have saved you aggravation. I wouldn't give away Thunderbolts to my worst enemy. It's the only .22 ammo that has leaded up my Wife's handgun (S&W 622) so bad that I bent a cleaning rod and destroyed 2 brushes cleaning that crap out. I had serious problems selling off all that crap I still had at $1.50 (what I paid for it) per box.

I live in MA so I think this policy sucks.. Bit if I lived in NH I'd probably love it... Then again, if I was the Governor of NH I'd probably pull a Donald - and build a f*ckin moat around the entire NH/MA border.....

Just sayin' [emoji6]
Their policy DOES suck. We love the Mass cash that comes in to the state's economy along the border towns and helps keep NH in the black and the payroll and sales tax demons away. NH businesses should NOT do anything to piss off the Mass people. It's a win win for everyone. They save taxes shopping here and we get to ingest their money into NH businesses.

Last time I was there I bought 2 cases of G.T. My beard game was pretty strong and I had a flannel shirt on so maybe they thought I was local.

I've bought a ton of ammo and mags there over the years, and they have never asked me where I was from. Never asked me for ID. And they have always seemed to appreciate my business.

This policy does suck, and if it happened to me, it would keep me out of the store permanently.

Methinks it's not so much about where you're from, but what you were buying.
.22LR isn't falling off the shelves due to excess surplus.
Not excusing your treatment, just offering a possible reason for the limit...

I live in MA so I think this policy sucks.. But if I lived in NH I'd probably love it... Then again, if I was the Governor of NH I'd probably pull a Donald - and build a f*ckin moat around the entire NH/MA border.....

Just sayin' [emoji6]
Then how would they get to work

They should post it if that is going to be their policy.
Yep. If I made that drive and it wasn't posted and they pulled that on me, I'd be royally pissed. And now that I know their policy, no point in me ever stopping there again.

On the other hand, they may have saved you aggravation. I wouldn't give away Thunderbolts to my worst enemy.
He did you a favor, Thunderbolt is crap ammo, dirty & duds
This and this. [wink]

Ugh. Part of me says at least he sells to you... any policy is better posted.

Last edited:
On the other hand, they may have saved you aggravation. I wouldn't give away Thunderbolts to my worst enemy. It's the only .22 ammo that has leaded up my Wife's handgun (S&W 622) so bad that I bent a cleaning rod and destroyed 2 brushes cleaning that crap out. I had serious problems selling off all that crap I still had at $1.50 (what I paid for it) per box.

He did you a favor, Thunderbolt is crap ammo, dirty & duds

Haha, noted. I'll try to stay away from Thunderbolts, they've been running okay in my dedicated .22 AR.

Last time I was there I bought 2 cases of G.T. My beard game was pretty strong and I had a flannel shirt on so maybe they thought I was local.

I had the flannel covered, but Asian beard game = super weak [grin]

Methinks it's not so much about where you're from, but what you were buying.
.22LR isn't falling off the shelves due to excess surplus.
Not excusing your treatment, just offering a possible reason for the limit...

Oh I know, it was definitely the fact that it was .22lr. But as I said, never restricted before, even when I was grabbing the last couple boxes from the shelf.

Oh they are rationing .22lr, boo hoo.

Like I said, I get restricting .22lr, almost every place does it, I'm used to it, only ever cried the first time I found out it was the norm [smile]

Last edited:
I do recall a sign in that shop a year or so ago (last time I stopped there) limiting sales of .22LR, however it was a limit for everyone (according to the sign).

Yeah, I wouldn't have been annoyed if they did have a clear sign posted, enforced for every customer. I've been going there for a couple months now, always purchased multiple boxes if they had any, never an issue. It was just yesterday.

Yeah, I wouldn't have been annoyed if they did have a clear sign posted, enforced for every customer. I've been going there for a couple months now, always purchased multiple boxes if they had any, never an issue. It was just yesterday.

If you want 22 just go to SO and Rileys. They had a crapton last time I was there buying powder and primers. And it wasn't shitty thunderbolts either.[laugh] They had tons of CCI and Federal.

I think it's pretty much subjective..I live in MA so I think this policy sucks.. But if I lived in NH I'd probably love it... Then again, if I was the Governor of NH I'd probably pull a Donald - and build a f*ckin moat around the entire NH/MA border....

Then how would they get to work

You make a great point!
+1

22's at four seasons cases up to your armpits . occasionally restricted to 2 bricks , but mostly all you can pay for and carry :) and not crap like f'ing thunderbolts .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom