CMP M1 Carbine.

Service grade M1 Carbine manufactured by Quality Hardware (Feb 1944).

Got this a few weeks ago, but was waiting on the bayonet and birch hand guard (rifle came with a walnut one), before taking and posting pictures.

The finish on the hardware is better than I had hoped for.

The flame/tiger striping on the birch stock was too nice looking to leave the stock "as is", so I did refinish it (I admit... maybe a tad too much [wink]).

c5s.jpg

c3s.jpg

c2s.jpg

c6s.jpg

c7s.jpg

Last edited:
Is that one of the FAT stocks?

It looks like the M2 "fat" stock to me - you can see the lower bulge start to dip down right in front of the mag well.

I am pretty sure all the Italian returns that CMP has been sending out have the "fat" stocks on them. All three of the carbines I got from them have the fat stocks.

The parkerizing on that rifle looks really good - I got one of the Winchester service grade carbines and the metal and barrel all look almost brand new. The two rack grades I got (Inland and Winchester) both have some pretty good wear on the parkerizing and the stocks have seen better days.

Very nice rifle. The marbling on the wood is pretty interesting. Give the gun a unique look.

At first I was a bit disappointed as I was really hoping for a walnut stock, but after I cleaned up the decades of gunk, grime and cosmoline and saw what was underneath, I realized that there was some great looking wood that just needed a bit sprucing up.

AWESOME! It was pretty when you started and you made it gorgeous!!! Nice job! [bow]

Thanks.

I used the foaming Easy-Off, hot water, scrunge pad and steaming out dents, nicks and gouges method. A couple of applications of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil really brought out the luster and grain.

Is that one of the FAT stocks?

Yep.

Other than the FAT and "S" stamp underneath the hand guard, there are no other markings/cartoches.

Holy Milsurps 4 Me, Batman! Great picture! You got a winner there.

Hope she shoots as good as she looks.

It shoots nice and light. Accuracy isn't anything to brag about (not that I was ever expecting it).

Ammo is at least affordable and the platform itself would be a nice introductory or step up for a novice shooter.

It looks like the M2 "fat" stock to me - you can see the lower bulge start to dip down right in front of the mag well.

I am pretty sure all the Italian returns that CMP has been sending out have the "fat" stocks on them. All three of the carbines I got from them have the fat stocks.

The parkerizing on that rifle looks really good - I got one of the Winchester service grade carbines and the metal and barrel all look almost brand new. The two rack grades I got (Inland and Winchester) both have some pretty good wear on the parkerizing and the stocks have seen better days.

From reading the CMP Carbine forums... it's hit or miss with these.

Some have gotten gems, some have gotten diamonds in the rough, some have gotten lumps of coal.

Luck of the draw I guess?

I've gotten two rack grades (Underwood and Rock-Ola), a barreled receiver (QH), and currently have two stripped Plainfield receivers in processing and will be trying for an S'G' rack grade (or NPM if the S'G's last less than ten minutes) at the end of the month.

The Underwood came with a USGI (Saginaw) walnut stock that had the usual handling marks and was a little beaten and dented all over. It had some really bad sticky crap on it, so I stripped the finish and refinished it in a dark but nicely contrasting stain.

The Rock-Ola came with a USGI walnut WRA stock in very nice shape but with a mismatched color handguard. Both of them are in perfect mechanical order from what I can tell, and the finish is solid although the Underwood still has cosmo residue on nonworking areas.

The barreled receiver had a very worn finish on the barrel but otherwise was in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom