• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Carbine has arrived!

yeah I'd be using Krud Kutter on it to clean it faster but that is pretty aggressive so you don't want to practice on a real valuable stock first. Murphy's will get you there slowly and gently.

I have gently washed greasy stocks in the bath tub with Dawn dish-washing liquid and a Scotch pad. You can also wrap it in paper towel and 'bake' in in the over at 150 degrees and 'sweat' out the oil.

The early Winchesters had a separate tube that slid into the hole in the receiver that accepted the spring and spring rod. That feature was later deleted as it was deemed unnecessary. There should be a small retaining hole in the back of the receiver where the little 'nipple' of that tube settles in and sticks out when you slide it into the receiver. That tube under the spring in your picture is the early unique part.

T

Gotcha. That damn oiler is a bitch. Maybe a different oiler would fit? Don't want to dremel the notch or anything like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I have gently washed greasy stocks in the bath tub with Dawn dish-washing liquid and a Scotch pad. You can also wrap it in paper towel and 'bake' in in the over at 150 degrees and 'sweat' out the oil.

The early Winchesters had a separate tube that slid into the hole in the receiver that accepted the spring and spring rod. That feature was later deleted as it was deemed unnecessary. There should be a small retaining hole in the back of the receiver where the little 'nipple' of that tube settles in and sticks out when you slide it into the receiver. That tube under the spring in your picture is the early unique part.

T

Maybe I'll try that. Wife won't like that in the oven LOL.

Here's a picture of my Winchester receiver. Note the spring slides directly in with no tube. Am I correct on yours that the tube goes in the receiver hole first and then the spring?

Flat bolts are early bolts; round bolts are late bolts.

T

Here's a picture of my Winchester receiver. Note the spring slides directly in with no tube. Am I correct on yours that the tube goes in the receiver hole first and then the spring?

Flat bolts are early bolts; round bolts are late bolts.

T

Yes you are correct. Good eyes.

Didnt realize there were different bolts. I really need to do more research on these...

- - - Updated - - -

Put the oiler in the stock first then thread the sling through. Don't force it in, that's not how it works. And all oilers are the same. Switching them won't solve anything.

Ahhh good call. I'm retarded. I'll give that a try.

Did you put the Winchester stock on the inland?

Ya.

- - - Updated - - -

And sell the other one to me, cheap!

Haha no already got a friend lined up to grab it.

- - - Updated - - -

Real simple keep the one that shoots better....

Right. I'd be surprised if there's a huge difference in accuracy between the two but we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that a reproduction sling? If so, they are thicker than original.

Yeah thats a repro that came with my Inland. The oiler is marked BK.

Put it back. Inland is the most common stock. $90 or so and get one off eBay. Winchester stocks are $$$.

T

Last edited:
Last edited:
Now you know. Put it back.

[rofl]
I think you guys misunderstood me. I'm keeping the Winchester stock. Just trying to decide on which rifle to keep. Really like my Inland even though it's not as desirable...

Ill make up my mind at the range...

Keep it on the Winchester.[slap] If we can't get our own, we'll live vicariously through you. Sweet early feature Winny and stock. You couldn't have gotten a better deal for $685.

T

By the way. The hammer is IBM ( AM B) and the bolt is Quality Hardware (EM-Q)

Good?

My inland has a underwood bolt and matching inland trigger group if I recall. Don't have it in front of me.

Keep it on the Winchester.[slap] If we can't get our own, we'll live vicariously through you. Sweet early feature Winny and stock. You couldn't have gotten a better deal for $685.

T

[rofl] You guys kill me. Range will have the final test.

Even with the W having more wear on the barrel, bolt and trigger group than my Inland?

Last edited:
Both are parts guns. Parts were made to be interchangeable, and as such the carbines should function within specs. I had three different stocks on my first IBM mix-master; shot no different between them. Its first stock was a post war SA M2 potbelly. I like the feel of the slimmer M1 stock. Tried repairing a correct but damaged birch stock. Didn't come out too well. Found a used walnut one that I kept on it.

T

[rofl] You guys kill me. Range will have the final test.

Even with the W having more wear on the barrel, bolt and trigger group than my Inland?

The wear on your finish is typical of a rebuild that didn't see repark tank. The muzzle and throat wear is low. If you want a pretty stock buy a new production one. Complete new stocks are like 125$
Get some of that red stain the gent sells on cmp forums then give a good tung oil rub.
Or get one of these
http://www.fulton-armory.com/triggerhousingpin-1.aspx

As for accuracy it is possible to shoot better than 4" groups with a carbine just un likely. Their accuracy standard was set pretty low to begin with. Like I said I posted it on nes while back and lost the info on my PC crash but in a nut shell if a carbine could keep 5 out of 7 shots inside a 12x 16 target at 100 yards that was good enough for GI

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom