• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Carbine has arrived!

DW357

NES Member
Well guys, the wait is finally over lol. The carbine has arrived.

It's a Winchester with what I believe to be GI wood. Muzzle reading of +2 and throat is +1. Metal needs to be cleaned of grease and oil.

You guys will know more about this than me. Let me know if there's more photos you want to see. Forgive my crappy iPhone photo skills...

View attachment 158790View attachment 158792View attachment 158793View attachment 158794View attachment 158795View attachment 158796

Now here are some comparison photos with my Inland. The metal seems to be in slightly better condition than the Winchester. Though maybe after cleaning it could brighten up? The wood on my Inland isn't GI but isn't that bad looking.
View attachment 158797View attachment 158798View attachment 158800View attachment 158801

W = Winchester Stock. Lucky Doggy.

T

lol. Are the Winchester stocks harder to find or? I like the wood but it's really dark. I was hoping for a lighter colored stock like that fancy reddish colored one you have.

I'm leaning towards keeping my Inland due to condition. Although the GI wood would be nice. Maybe swap stocks?

Hoping the weather holds up this weekend so I can test fire to compare.

My Inland rings 8" steel at 120 yards consistently from a bench so we'll see if this shoots better. Need to try on paper. Do any carbines really shoot much better than 4-6" groups at 100? Lol

Nice! i kinda like the patina on the metal at least on the muzzle end. The receiver end would probably clean up a bit. Try some diluted murphy's oil soap and a terrycloth towel to see if that's just grime making the stock look so dark. You may be surprised at what's underneath. Wipe it with a clean damp terrycloth occasionally to remove what murphy's takes off. Go slow.

[party] all by yourself..... nice looking gun. Personally I would just give the wood a nice good rub with some lint free cloths. Clean the barrel and action well enough for function.
You LSOAB

Nice rifle, and the USGI walnut will be nice once you clean some of the grime and soaked in cosmoline off. I have some extra Winchester marked parts and magazines if you need them.

lol. Are the Winchester stocks harder to find or? I like the wood but it's really dark. I was hoping for a lighter colored stock like that fancy reddish colored one you have.

I'm leaning towards keeping my Inland due to condition. Although the GI wood would be nice. Maybe swap stocks?

Check the other side of the stock; should have a WRD next to the ordinance wheel.

T

Nice rifle. Does it have a Winchester barrel? Winchesters coming out in this batch seems to have them.

If it were me and I could only keep 1 it would be the Winchester all day long. Mostly because winchesters are more desirable just because of the name.

[party] all by yourself..... nice looking gun. Personally I would just give the wood a nice good rub with some lint free cloths. Clean the barrel and action well enough for function.
You LSOAB

Haha. Yeah I really like the GI wood.

You have an IBM trigger group. I can't make out the bolt wing.

Here are pics of my Winchester stock. This is where you can win the lottery on CMP. You're out the door with a Winchester and "W" stock for $685. Mine cost $850 at Amoskeag; add hammer fee, stock on eBay ($65!), sling, pouch, and oiler I'm out $1100.

T

Last edited:
Nice rifle. Does it have a Winchester barrel? Winchesters coming out in this batch seems to have them.

If it were me and I could only keep 1 it would be the Winchester all day long. Mostly because winchesters are more desirable just because of the name.

Yes it has a Winchester barrel.

Good of point on the desirability of the Winchesters. I'm not a collector just a shooter. But I'm sure if I were to ever sell, the Winchester would fetch more $.

You have an IBM trigger group. I can't make out the bolt wing.

Here are pics of my Winchester stock. This is where you can win the lottery on CMP. You're out the door with a Winchester and "W" stock for $685. Mine cost $850 at Amoskeag; add hammer fee, stock on eBay ($35!), sling, pouch, and oiler I'm out $1100.

T

Damn I guess I did aright then lol. Here's a photo of the bolt wing and the hammer.
View attachment 158833

Stinks the cleaning kit won't fit in the notch with the sling attached. Really liking the GI wood.

the grain is starting to show on the stock now! May want to use a soft brush with the murphy's to get through more of the grime.

As I recall with the oiler, it took some finesse to get it in.

the grain is starting to show on the stock now! May want to use a soft brush with the murphy's to get through more of the grime.

As I recall with the oiler, it took some finesse to get it in.

Yeah this stock has potential! I'm definitely keeping this stock I think...

I don't want to damage the stock trying to jam the oiler in the notch. Forgive my ignorance, not sure why I was calling that a cleaning kit...

Back
Top Bottom