• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Carbine has arrived!

I have a 1917 that is all Winchester except for the stock having an E (Eddystone) on it. Doesn't bother me in the least. If it had a beat-up W stock on it...meh, so what?
Looks better with the nice Eddystone wood.
The 1917 wasn't re-arsenaled either and still has a nice blue finish. Lots of guys put lots of money and time getting "correct" parts for an old war horse, but when it's done, really, how "Correct" is it? Collection of parts with the same mark struck on each. Cool to see 'em, as for me, as long as they are fun to shoot...[laugh]
-Mike

The wear on your finish is typical of a rebuild that didn't see repark tank. The muzzle and throat wear is low. If you want a pretty stock buy a new production one. Complete new stocks are like 125$
Get some of that red stain the gent sells on cmp forums then give a good tung oil rub.
Or get one of these
http://www.fulton-armory.com/triggerhousingpin-1.aspx

As for accuracy it is possible to shoot better than 4" groups with a carbine just un likely. Their accuracy standard was set pretty low to begin with. Like I said I posted it on nes while back and lost the info on my PC crash but in a nut shell if a carbine could keep 5 out of 7 shots inside a 12x 16 target at 100 yards that was good enough for GI

Ohh okay. I don't want a "pretty" stock as I like the GI wood and I think this will clean up nicely.

I have a 1917 that is all Winchester except for the stock having an E (Eddystone) on it. Doesn't bother me in the least. If it had a beat-up W stock on it...meh, so what?
Looks better with the nice Eddystone wood.
The 1917 wasn't re-arsenaled either and still has a nice blue finish. Lots of guys put lots of money and time getting "correct" parts for an old war horse, but when it's done, really, how "Correct" is it? Collection of parts with the same mark struck on each. Cool to see 'em, as for me, as long as they are fun to shoot...[laugh]
-Mike

I don't hunt down parts to make any of my rifles "correct", but I also don't swap out correct parts for incorrect parts unless they are broken. I have a few milsurps and only one is correct and/or original and that's an IBM M1 Carbine I paid $800 for when that was considered too much.

I don't hunt down parts to make any of my rifles "correct", but I also don't swap out correct parts for incorrect parts unless they are broken.

Good point. It does seem somewhat silly for me to take off a Win stock from a Win carbine and throw it on an Inland. I should also mention my Inland is blue sky import marked which I think will really make you guys want to strangle me if I were to keep the Inland over the Win[laugh]

But as I said, I'm a shooter not a collector so shootability is important.

I have a Blue Sky Import. Import stamps don't mean shit to me.

What's funny is how many people will buy any other firearm that wasn't made in the US with an import stamp and think nothing of it, but when it has a stamp on a US firearm it's junk not fit for smelting into Sean Penn's pansy statue.

I have a Blue Sky Import. Import stamps don't mean shit to me.

What's funny is how many people will buy any other firearm that wasn't made in the US with an import stamp and think nothing of it, but when it has a stamp on a US firearm it's junk not fit for smelting into Sean Penn's pansy statue.

I really like the blue sky import as it has the "General Motors" stamp which is really cool to me compared to the Winchester that just has a W on the barrel[laugh]
But I realize the Winchester name is more desirable than GM lol.

Good point. It does seem somewhat silly for me to take off a Win stock from a Win carbine and throw it on an Inland. I should also mention my Inland is blue sky import marked which I think will really make you guys want to strangle me if I were to keep the Inland over the Win[laugh]

dont care what you keep but the winchester stock should either stay with the winchester thats just me though.

I think you need to separate the different reasons to keep.

I lean heavy on shooting my milsurps so im not to hung up on correct, condition, import stamps and such. If it shoots well thats are plus for me. My standards are not to high for a good shooter.

If I casn keep shots in the black of a SR1 its GTG

Last edited:
heres the zero target for the M1 carbine..... you will need to draw your own I dont think these will print to sclae ?

carbsight001a1_843.jpg

I think you need to separate the different reasons to keep.

I lean heavy on shooting my milsurps so im not to hung up on correct, condition, import stamps and such. If it shoots well thats are plus for me. My standards are not to high for a good shooter.

If I casn keep shots in the black of a SR1 its GTG

Yeah agreed. I'll see how it shoots and go from there.

Not like the other one will be destroyed or anything...

Too bad we're on opposite sides of the state; I'd shoot with you.

T

well maybe meet up at the cmp VT northern games this year......I cant go so hopefully someone can.
Here is my best shooter. Rock ola
Photo-0138_zpsre7itinz.jpg

On good days I can shoot groups like this prone supported. Most days I keep them in the black.
I might shoot the carbine at the next cmp shoot.

Last edited:
Took apart and cleaned the bolt as the firing pin was not freely moving at all. Sure enough there was a lot of grease and grime. All clean now.

nice! I don't collect military myself but you mil surp boys pick up beautiful stuff, no doubt. always enjoy the photos and getting a history lesson, too.

Well I hit the range this morning and had a chance to shoot the Winchester along with the Inland. Took me awhile to realize the windage was way off on the Winchester. I had to move the site almost all the way to the left. After that it was dead on.

Inland at 100 yards:
View attachment 159239View attachment 159240

Winchester 100 yards:
View attachment 159241View attachment 159242

^These were shot from the bench at a pretty steady rate of fire. These were my handoads - 14.5 gr of H110.
I'd say it's a wash as to which one shoots better. Some of those "flyers" towards the bottom were from me holding lower during a few shots. So now with the shooting test done, I'm leaning towards the Winchester now.

Last edited:
looks like a good shooter, congrats Andrew!

Thanks! No problem ringing my 8" steel at 120 yards which is all I care about lol. Seems like it shoots a tad higher than the Inland but not by much. Anyway, it was a lot of fun blowing through 150 rounds this morning.

Funny, same thing with windage on my Winchester. I also had to crank the rear sight almost all the way left. Maybe they slapped these on during refurbishment in the rough center and hoped for the best as they were adjustable?

T

Thanks! No problem ringing my 8" steel at 120 yards which is all I care about lol. Seems like it shoots a tad higher than the Inland but not by much. Anyway, it was a lot of fun blowing through 150 rounds this morning.

Nice day with the carbine. All this carbine talk I might shoot mine at cmp tomorrow. Rock ola has been screaming to get out.

Funny, same thing with windage on my Winchester. I also had to crank the rear sight almost all the way left. Maybe they slapped these on during refurbishment in the rough center and hoped for the best as they were adjustable?

T

Interesting. The inland is the same too. The rear sights on both are at the same setting - all the way to the left.

Nice day with the carbine. All this carbine talk I might shoot mine at cmp tomorrow. Rock ola has been screaming to get out.

Weather is going to be nice again. Get out there! Like spring time. I'd like to get out tomorrow but might have to do stuff with the wife...

Son and I are going to take the 1917 M1911 and 1918 M1917 to blow away the last two pumpkins. He hasn't shot a .45 yet.

T

Back
Top Bottom