CMP Garand pics

KMM696

NES Member
I finally got around to taking pics of the 2 Garands I got from the CMP, editing, cropping, waiting for uploads.....yep, dial-up still sucks.

Anyway.....

CMP Service Grade 5.4 million range Springfield Armory, SA 1 55 barrel, SA trigger group, bolt,op rod, NM rear aperture (haven't looked at rest of sight, but front is not NM), stock has DoD eagle and 'Circle P' on it.

5.4M_SA_001.jpg

5.4M_SA_002.jpg

Wood has it's share of dents & dings, nothing serious except for one small chip out of front handguard. Metal has edge wear, except for gas cylinder lock, which has maybe 40% finish left.

CMP Service grade 5.7 million range Springfield Armory, SA 2 55 barrel, SA trigger, op rod, bolt, stock has DoD eagle and 'Circle P'.

5.7M_SA_001.jpg

5.7M_SA_002.jpg

The stock has fewer dings and dents, but does have a 3/4" chip out of the wrist that's been there a while. I really like the look of that front handguard, too. Metal has edge wear, maybe a little less than it's brother. The gas cylinder looks like it was painted over bluing, most of the paint (stoving?) worn off and good blue underneath.

I haven't done much more than a cursory cleaning, still need to inspect parts and try out some of the Greek ammo I got for them. CMP still puts out some nice rifles, I think.

And the one that got me hooked on milsurp semi-autos....

International Harvester, LMR 12 54 barrel, SA trigger, bolt, op rod, better metal than the SA's, and a pretty stock with a fewer dings, and more chips. We'll see who shoots better! [smile]

5.1M_IHC_001.jpg

5.1M_IHC_002.jpg

Semi-auto milsurps are so much more left hand friendly than bolt guns - shame they cost so much more. It's this rifle's fault that I got the M1 Carbine, the 2 SKSs, a Hakim, Rashid, VZ52, an FN-49, the ARs, the M1A, the AK & CETME clones, the FAL......and the Garand seemed like such a deal at the time, too.

It's those hidden follow-on costs that get you.....[wink]

Well, they still have some Springfield Armory rifles left! I ordered in late September, got them last week, and they didn't charge my card until they shipped. Well worth the wait and extra paperwork, I think.

I am waiting for my two springfields from the CMP. Cannot wait for them. They did ship 1600 rounds for them.[bow]

I'd swap handguards on rifles 2 and 3.
Speaking of birch, maple, etc. anyone know how many different types of wood were used on M1 Garands? I thought it was just birch and walnut.

I'd swap handguards on rifles 2 and 3.
Speaking of birch, maple, etc. anyone know how many different types of wood were used on M1 Garands? I thought it was just birch and walnut.

Birch and walnut for U.S. Garands. I think all WWII and earlier were walnut. Birch was mixed in post-WWII. Sometimes the Danes come back with beech.

Back
Top Bottom