CMP 1911's email with requirements

Ya I don’t get it. 800-1K dollars for a 50+ yr old pistol that’s been sitting in a warehouse? Multiple background checks (as if we all haven’t already been through multiple checks and given a thumbs up) and trying to find a way to get it into MA?

They can EaBoD’s. I’ll give my hard earned money to a dealer that has also earned it.

Seems like a lot of bullshit for a ticket to a crappy lottery.
Just another day in the People's Republic.

The devil is in the details WHEN they get them and finalize everything.

However, I'm jaundiced by prior action:
- M1 Carbine fiasco - my application got there opening day and they never opened those bins of letters but declared them sold out by not taking first in, first out.
- .22LR Aquila ammo order - almost 3 years and they offer another brand for ~$300 (original offer was ~$260 IIRC), then bill me for $405. I made them take it back (at their expense) and ordered Aquila (exact same stuff that CMP had offered) for $250 delivered by a mail-order place that no longer ships to MA thanks to some Rat!

Plus:
- They are "implying" (can't know for sureat this time) that even OUR FFL who accepts them for us can't do a FFL to FFL (03) transfer, but must do full NICS/4473. Absurd but not a game-stopper.
- Long ago they stated that what they knew of these guns, most would be beat to shit from years and years of use, building and rebuilding.
- Prices are out of sight for beat-up guns (would be reasonable if in VG and better condition, but that isn't the case).
- If they truly expect that we need to compete and submit records to qualify (as opposed to LTC, LEO-active or retired, DD214, etc.) for what they are offering, that's BS and of no interest to me. Anyone who buys one would be a fool to try to compete with it without an almost complete rebuild.

Thanks but no thanks.

I'm curious how they expect a 4473 to be run pre-purchase. I'm not even sure if an FFL can do it legally since there's no firearm to transfer. Nevermind, they're not going to do it for free.
Why is the requirement for an 01 FFL? No 07s? that's seems ass backwards as well. Wasn't really interested in this before, less so now with the shenanigans they're pulling.

- M1 Carbine fiasco - my application got there opening day and they never opened those bins of letters but declared them sold out by not taking first in, first out.
- .22LR Aquila ammo order - almost 3 years and they offer another brand for ~$300 (original offer was ~$260 IIRC), then bill me for $405. I made them take it back (at their expense) and ordered Aquila (exact same stuff that CMP had offered) for $250 delivered by a mail-order place that no longer ships to MA thanks to some Rat!

Plus:
- They are "implying" (can't know for sureat this time) that even OUR FFL who accepts them for us can't do a FFL to FFL (03) transfer, but must do full NICS/4473. Absurd but not a game-stopper.
- Long ago they stated that what they knew of these guns, most would be beat to shit from years and years of use, building and rebuilding.
- Prices are out of sight for beat-up guns (would be reasonable if in VG and better condition, but that isn't the case).
- If they truly expect that we need to compete and submit records to qualify (as opposed to LTC, LEO-active or retired, DD214, etc.) for what they are offering, that's BS and of no interest to me. Anyone who buys one would be a fool to try to compete with it without an almost complete rebuild.

Thanks but no thanks.

Len, I've been down that 'exact same road' with the M1 Carbine fiasco and waiting 'forever' for the 22LR order that never came.

Long time customer of the CMP, maybe I'll shop somewhere else now.

Ya I don’t get it. 800-1K dollars for a 50+ yr old pistol that’s been sitting in a warehouse? Multiple background checks (as if we all haven’t already been through multiple checks and given a thumbs up) and trying to find a way to get it into MA?

They can EaBoD’s. I’ll give my hard earned money to a dealer that has also earned it.

Good point. How many times do I have to be declared a good guy by the .gov? Plus, I have a C&R to boot.

2. Have goal work with CMP to ship "frames only" to MA FFL holders, slides, barrels, magazines shipped to purchaser direct.
Government agencies (including quasi-governmental orgs) like to give each other reach arounds, so don't expect them to play the wallhack game.

Len, I've been down that 'exact same road' with the M1 Carbine fiasco and waiting 'forever' for the 22LR order that never came.

Long time customer of the CMP, maybe I'll shop somewhere else now.

Since you are in NH, check out Target Sports USA for .22 ammo. Much better than CMP prices and at your doorstep in 2 days from ordering.

as much as I would like to own a piece of history, the amount of BS, and the price make it a fools purchase IMHO.

You can buy a real nice 1911 new in box for that amount of money.

For a re-hashed 1911 of questionable quality, it is a sub 500 dollar gun in my world.

The CMP has sadly become ridiculous. The end of an era.

Double background checks, no 03s, no ship to commie zones, and overpriced worn out 1911s, with luck of the draw pay and pray.

There's enough things said in that email to insult the community enough, that many will just tell them to go pound tar. I know I am.

This is a joke for everyone not just MA folks.

Two NICS.
No C&R.
To a dealer and not to your home.
Lottery system for chance at picking grade.
Sight unseen.
Expected to be high prices.

Yeah, sounds great. No thanks.

Good point. How many times do I have to be declared a good guy by the .gov? Plus, I have a C&R to boot.

I think if we read between the lines here, they’re pretty much saying that anybody that would pay 1K for a 50+ yr old warehoused gun in unknown condition and then click their heals together as ordered must be crazy, therefore make them do background checks all over again, in duplicate.

I'd rather buy a new Colt 1911A1.
It would cost less and be way less of a pain in the butt for an overhyped subpar rattlebox 1911. :D:D:D

Don't forget that CMP sales are for the purpose of funding activities that promote civilian marksmanship, like youth development & Camp Perry...getting a piece of American history is how we help them do this...
"Net revenue from CMP sales is used to fund operations and programs and to supplement a permanent endowment."

I guess I can be added to the list of people who were excited by this when I first heard of it....but now I'll pass. Far too many hoops to jump through for a chance to buy something that is overpriced and likely in rough condition. I was hoping to pick up a nice piece of history, but no thanks.

Just got an email update...

Yeah. Because the check the ATF does to make sure you are a fine upstanding citizen capable of holding a C&R license is just too lax.

I've got my Garand. I have pre-Obamanation CMP ammo. There is no prospect of them ever getting M1Carbeenz again. I'm all set with CMP.

Don't forget that CMP sales are for the purpose of funding activities that promote civilian marksmanship, like youth development & Camp Perry...getting a piece of American history is how we help them do this...
"Net revenue from CMP sales is used to fund operations and programs and to supplement a permanent endowment."

Last time they were hiking prices orest and company was 'splainin it was cuz health insurance costs.

Not sure what their getting, but I'm getting reamed with high deductible plans where I get to pay the insurance company and pretty much all the bills with a HSA (Health Scam Account).

Could afford at least 6 double NICS mixmaster loose 1911s a year with the old insurance plans.

Plus:

Thanks but no thanks.
CMP is a big business and last i heard had 200mil in the endowment. Also the board members make some pretty good money.
Thd cmp has and also will be a "dont like the rules dont play"
Pre cmp was DCM . 1 rifle for life and absolutely no idea what you where going to get.
CMP did not have much control over the 22lr problem Aquila never filled there contract to cmp before or during the 22lr ammo shortage and i can probably guess how many gun shops would even attempt to honnor a pre order at that time. I think cmps efforts on the 22 was at least respectful. I ended up getting the one case deal of CCI SV the price was cheaper than anything local and at the time it was not in stock.
Now the 1911 thing is what it is as im going to put at least 75% of the more frequent cmp purchasers do not shoot these guns. They buy them to either say they have one, fills a slot of gotstohavits or just to add to the collection.
So many people i meet at the range still have no clue what cmp is or does.
Recently a guy was bitching at one club Bout the GD CMP rifle shoots and how there is no pistol shooting. I said CMP has service pistol matches but no one here at the club wants to run it. I also told him who used to run it 20 years ago. The reason he stopped is the newer shooters where not coming out to shoot and often complained its to hard.
CMP is like anyother business if this little gig with the pistols works out its $10mil a year for next 10 years and unless sales are way down the price will only go up.
Its funny that they say getting the pistols to the cmp is. To help the cost of storage yet still going to pay storage for next 10 years. Whos got that gig.
Fhey still offer the best deals on M1 garands and several other items.
Plus cmp set the bar high on prices. Now if they put out the field grades for $850 vs $1000 many devoted will praise the cmp and gobble them up.
Now although these seem over priced from the cmp i still have yet to find any WWII dated US property marked 1911 in "service" grade condition for $1000.

They have a $200mil endowment????? Yikes! They are the Hah'vud of the shooting world. "Sad. Very sad."

What's interesting is they don't release their $'s. They just mention in their annual report that everything's been reviewed and "looks hunky-dory." Imagine if Microsoft or Sen Warren's office did that.

But as of 2014, their sales exceeded expenses and they added to the endowment. I'd be curious what the annual budget is.

The reality is, I'm sure there will be a long line of folks trying to get these. And hopefully the pricing will be such-that people don't over-profit from buying one then immediately selling it. I would prefer that those that want one get them instead of profiteers. And as clandestine as the CMP financials are, I would prefer they get the dough than some troglodyte trying to flip a 1911 on the Interwebs.

I'm not in for one. I bet they are 60-70yo, have next to no matching parts, rattle like a sunofagun and aren't very accurate. And I'm all 1911'd up. LOL

They have a $200mil endowment????? Yikes! They are the Hah'vud of the shooting world. "Sad. Very sad."

What's interesting is they don't release their $'s. They just mention in their annual report that everything's been reviewed and "looks hunky-dory." Imagine if Microsoft or Sen Warren's office did that.

You guys don't look very hard for info do you?

Here's all the info on finances. IRS 990 forms must be filed and are public record. You likely have to create a free account on Guidestar (well worth it to check out charities before donating money) to read these pages.

https://www2.guidestar.org/profile/34-1839195 - basic info
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2016/341/839/2016-341839195-0e0f31ef-9.pdf - 2015 tax return

I would think when they print an annual report they'd list highlights. Like, "We made $1 billion dollars and helped 42 people shoot a gun for the first time" or something. Since they seemingly aren't looking for donations, one would think they'd be pretty proud of what they do, financially. It always makes me suspicious when info is specifically omitted. I know what it meant when I did it with my mom when I was a boy. LOL

But as of 2014, their sales exceeded expenses and they added to the endowment. I'd be curious what the annual budget is.

The reality is, I'm sure there will be a long line of folks trying to get these. And hopefully the pricing will be such-that people don't over-profit from buying one then immediately selling it. I would prefer that those that want one get them instead of profiteers. And as clandestine as the CMP financials are, I would prefer they get the dough than some troglodyte trying to flip a 1911 on the Interwebs.

I'm not in for one. I bet they are 60-70yo, have next to no matching parts, rattle like a sunofagun and aren't very accurate. And I'm all 1911'd up. LOL
what would you expect for accuracy from a mil spec 1911a1 in like new condition at 25 and 50 yards?
what do you expect for accuracy from 1911 platforms that are out there.

Back
Top Bottom