CMP 1911's email with requirements

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Just got an email from CMP about the 1911's

The thing that is interesting is that they have to be transferred to an 01FFL, since the C&R legislation isn't law until 2021, that lets MASS out of the mix since they were not owned in MASS before 1998 or '94 which ever it was so a 01 cannot legally sell it to you unless it is on the list.

Doesn't sound like they will honor 03FFL's at all for these. I don't think any of the will be on the AG list

1. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
  2. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.

I am not sure about this but since most 01's accept an 03, would we be able to have it sent to the 01 and then he would transfer it to the 03? Technically that is not following Mass general laws but that is how it works until 2021. Of course they are saying it is going to take 10 years to sell them all, so we have time in 4 years

I just read the email in somewhat disbelief: two background checks are required. One before they mail it to an 01FFL, and one by the 01FFL themselves. WTF?

I am not sure about this but since most 01's accept an 03, would we be able to have it sent to the 01 and then he would transfer it to the 03? Technically that is not following Mass general laws but that is how it works until 2021. Of course they are saying it is going to take 10 years to sell them all, so we have time in 4 years
It shouldn't be too hard to find a nh ffl who will do the transfers for those of us stuck in MA. What I'm more curious about is why they need additional proof of marksmanship activity etc from people who have already ordered m1

Just got an email from CMP about the 1911's

The thing that is interesting is that they have to be transferred to an 01FFL, since the C&R legislation isn't law until 2021, that lets MASS out of the mix since they were not owned in MASS before 1998 or '94 which ever it was so a 01 cannot legally sell it to you unless it is on the list.

Doesn't sound like they will honor 03FFL's at all for these. I don't think any of the will be on the AG list

1. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
  2. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.

My reading of this... one only has to be a "CMP customer" in order to be eligible for one to be shipped to an 01 FFL.
Once the 01 FFL receives it, the they can legally transfer it to an 03 licensee (after the 2021 language kicks in).

that lets MASS out of the mix since they were not owned in MASS before 1998 or '94 which ever it was so a 01 cannot legally sell it to you unless it is on the list.

As drgrant says, stop worrying about the list. If the price is right I’ll buy one. Or at least put an order in hopes I’m eligible to purchase.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a nh ffl who will do the transfers for those of us stuck in MA. What I'm more curious about is why they need additional proof of marksmanship activity etc from people who have already ordered m1
I assume its to speed up the paper work or they are setting up a separate data base just for pistols.

I was surprised by this also. I expected C&R would be accepted.
There could be a problem with the pistols not all being C&R eligible. Would not the only ones 50+ years old be C&R OK.
There has to be a good amount of them manufactured more recently in the mix.?

There could be a problem with the pistols not all being C&R eligible. Would not the only ones 50+ years old be C&R OK.
There has to be a good amount of them manufactured more recently in the mix.?

It appears that so many 1911A1's were manufactured during WW2 that all production ceased after 1945. From that point on, 1911's were simply arsenal rebuilt after each war.

I don't understand why they're making it so difficult. They can keep them.
X2 and its not like the tax payers don't already own them. Now we have to buy them back in order to get one.
You should be able to put your name on a list and if your name is picked, you get back what you already paid for and have been for all these years of storage and maintenance.

Jason.

I don't understand why they're making it so difficult. They can keep them.

They made a deal with the devil (congress) which changed the mechanisms for purchase. They've also said that essentially none will be sold to MA subjects. Red the CMP Forum for mgmt.'s answers to all these questions.

X2 and its not like the tax payers don't already own them. Now we have to buy them back in order to get one.
You should be able to put your name on a list and if your name is picked, you get back what you already paid for and have been for all these years of storage and maintenance.

Jason.

and the 'waste of a comment' award for the day goes toooooooooo...................

drum roll please!

tadaaaaaaa!

Given the likely "re-arsenal'd" condition, even $800 is pushing it. There will be a few NM's and a few that, by sheer coincidence, have historical value. The rest will be a mishmash of parts. :(

Just got an email update...

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Just got an email update...

I got the same update. CMP can, frankly, bl*w me.

(Yeah, yeah, I get it -- "Massachusetts" ... But, there's little special value in a 1911 that would compel me to jump through this set of hoops.)

R

I think Len was talking about he saw it was talking about no orders from states with restrictions (MA has a couple)

Correct. I saw it way back when the possibility was being discussed early on. No idea where it was posted but the "ask CMP threads are the most likely places to look. I don't go to their forums very often. I see no great loss here, not for the price and value.

As the law currently followed, the 1911s are not MA compliant.

Two possibilities:

1. Have a state rep or congressman submit a bill excluding these pieces of history from the list or add them to list as compliant.

2. Have goal work with CMP to ship "frames only" to MA FFL holders, slides, barrels, magazines shipped to purchaser direct.

Sorry for bad news.........

geo
I worked with Senator Timilty to get a C&R exemption for all C&R guns and 03FFL's put into the law but Linskey and others insisted it be put off till 2021 before it takes effect.

But also CMP would have to accept orders from MA residents, that is not a sure thing, if they will use a NH 01FFL and do a transfer there.

Back
Top Bottom