• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP 1911 Sales Program - Round 4 - Still Only Not for MA Citizens

Curio & Relic guns are aimed and priced to a market of collectors.

If you want a shooter, buy one of the $500 1911s mfd by dozens of companies.

Those that buy CMP guns or any C&R gun are buying it for the provenance or historical collectability. It isn't a competitor to the currently marketed/mfd guns.

My round 3 servive grade 1911 is lovely and rust free. Bought a couple Wilson mags for it and it has chewed through 500ish rounds already.View attachment 797834
Looks good - by any chance did you get Ithaca / Ithaca? I got an Ithaca frame with a RR slide, terrific condition but would be cool to find a matching slide.

Your f***ing kidding me right?

Over a grand for a rusty 1911? I don't care that it's a "government" 1911......all those pistols were beat to shit......i know cuz i was issued one that was a beater. 😂
Some people have a thing for guns that 'saw action' at some point and possibly killed krautz n japz.

Some people have a thing for guns that 'saw action' at some point and possibly killed krautz n japz.
Yeah and there is no way of knowing where that pistol has been or what it's "seen". Vast majority of em sat in an arms room and got tossed around in boxes being transported to the range for Qual once a year.

Those are mass prices. You can get a great serviceable knockoff for that, or less…..rock Island, etc. they’re no fancy refined 1911, but they’re no joke either.
yes, i have a Rock Island that cost less than $500 and is "gi spec"
i also have a 1918 1911 that i paid too much for, but i like it... and i want to pay too much for a WWII era 1911....
and yes, if Maura hadn't sold us out and the CMP would sell in MA, i'd be on the list for a rack grade with the line number still painted on the grips.
i want one that says US Army on it.... for reasons....

I've seen a number of these CMP 1911s and all of them are mix masters. Nothing wrong with that for a shooter. Collector wise it's not ideal. Hence why all matching examples still pull a premium.

“and all of them are mix masters” yes exactly. That’s why they are collectible. Mixing them up was the whole thing the armory did through the different wars. I wouldn’t expect or necessarily desire a firearm with all matching. That misses the whole history of it all.

“and all of them are mix masters” yes exactly. That’s why they are collectible. Mixing them up was the whole thing the armory did through the different wars. I wouldn’t expect or necessarily desire a firearm with all matching. That misses the whole history of it all.

To each their own. I prefer a correct example of a vintage 1911 with matching slide/frame as well as the correct barrel, mags, etc'. Yes, you pay a premium for that, but overall it's worth it.

i also have a 1918 1911 that i paid too much for, but i like it... and i want to pay too much for a WWII era 1911....
and yes, if Maura hadn't sold us out and the CMP would sell in MA, i'd be on the list for a rack grade with the line number still painted on the grips.
A381A558-42F1-43F8-85C5-98B54EAFF8C1.png
They shoot good!

I wouldn't buy one because I had one when it was still issued and the one I had was pretty worn. People in this state should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they want one.

@Mesatchornug the rando shooting public is better served by a $600 turkatron than one of these guns anyways. CMP knows that, they just assume take the profit from nostalgic boomers and invest it in other programs.

ETA: it does make me wonder if CMP will ever end up with M9 Berettas........ that's a better argument for $300 guns for the masses.

I don't think so. Even 20 years ago CMP was sort of an anachronism, the echo of America's former industrial glory when national industry was producing arms for a 12 million strong armed forces. Once the current inventory is gone, it's gone. They might get the m9's but I don't think they will ever be allowed to sell any of the more modern rifles. I don't think any of the polymer guns will ever sell well in a CMP format.

The rise of the internet has also made gun flipping trivially easy, where a guy in CA can flip to another guy in Ohio with almost no effort.

PSA and the like have replaced CMP. Also not available in MA. For your own good, of course. They always have that cheap 77gr ammo I can't ship here.:mad:

Last edited:
i have a 1918 frame with an earlier slide, likely 1917, but it was refinished at some point so "model of 1911 us army" was buffed off the slide, "government property" on the frame and the serial number were re-applied, by hand at some point...

it's a soup sandwich, but i took it to the range other other day and it shoots beautifully, lol.... i'd still like an A1 though.... i mean, i have a RIA 1911A1, but it's not a veteran like me....

One of my 1911s is an AO military model. I wanted something just like what I had in 1972. The gun shoots well and cost a few hundred bucks. The Colt shoots better but Greg Derr worked his magic on it so it's not a fair comparison.

Just before everyone got their panties in a bunch over the CMP ones, I somehow picked up a 1918 or so one (I forget - it sits in the safe) on GB for stupid low $. Less than what CMP is charging. I just threw in a bid and ended up with it. LOL. Stupid luck. Definitely re-park'd outside of the .mil sometime in the past. But it's no worse for wear than the CMP ones.

Just before everyone got their panties in a bunch over the CMP ones, I somehow picked up a 1918 or so one (I forget - it sits in the safe) on GB for stupid low $. Less than what CMP is charging. I just threw in a bid and ended up with it. LOL. Stupid luck. Definitely re-park'd outside of the .mil sometime in the past. But it's no worse for wear than the CMP ones.
i just picked up a WWII 1911a1 on GB, i was the only bidder.... *shrug* good for me.

Back
Top Bottom