• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP 1911 Sales Program - Round 4 - Still Only Not for MA Citizens

Your joking right? 1k is the cmp price for lowest quality selection.....and even the service grade pistols state they may have pitting and rust and those are way over 1k.

For 1k you can get a new 1911 with sights that are actually useable (the ones on the issued 1911s are terribly small)......and no rust.

I had a 1911 issued to me for years. Amazing pistol and a master jmb design. But 1k for an old arms room beater is NOT comparing apples to apples in the "1911 market
These are demand-based pricing, I know it sounds crazy but just go to any of the gun auction sites and check for their sold histories on 1911s ( and specially pay attention to the CMP ones); prices on the mil-surplus firearm are in the historical high now...

These are demand-based pricing, I know it sounds crazy but just go to any of the gun auction sites and check for their sold histories on 1911s ( and specially pay attention to the CMP ones); prices on the mil-surplus firearm are in the historical high now...
In other words, they're failing at the purpose of the CMP?

The whole reason they were chartered was to get affordable firearms into the hands of American civilians who could build marksmanship skills...like it says in their name. Why are they selling collectibles at market rates?

The whole reason they were chartered was to get affordable firearms into the hands of American civilians who could build marksmanship skills...like it says in their name. Why are they selling collectibles at market rates?
This x1000

I bought my m1 from cmp for about $750.
1911s for over a grand is not in the spirit of what cmp was created for.

sorry I didn't meant that their posted prices are at the market rates, and actually their prices are below the market rates hence why I mentioned 'very reasonable' or at least it is my opinion...

Cmp like @Mesatchornug said.....cmp isnt supposed to be market price. It's supposed to be getting historical surplus fire arms to citizens for a decent price.

1k for a rusty 1911 is not succeeding in that mission. Imo of course.

Cmp like @Mesatchornug said.....cmp isnt supposed to be market price. It's supposed to be getting historical surplus fire arms to citizens for a decent price.

1k for a rusty 1911 is not succeeding in that mission. Imo of course.
Otherwise people just flip them.

Once people started doing it with Garands en masse, CMP had to adjust their pricing. Otherwise they are just leaving money to be pocketed by someone else.

Otherwise people just flip them.

Once people started doing it with Garands en masse, CMP had to adjust their pricing. Otherwise they are just leaving money to be pocketed by someone else.
that's why they limit how many a person can buy in a year. yeah, they'll still flip them, but the bottleneck slows that and makes them more available for people who are willing to do the legwork.

This x1000

I bought my m1 from cmp for about $750.
1911s for over a grand is not in the spirit of what cmp was created for.
same.

That model hasn't really been in effect for 15-20 years or so. Their "new" mission is still to promote civilian marksmanship, but to do it with money made from the sales of M1's and 1911's. Marksmanship skills in an individual are created through proper training and proper equipment. Neither the M1's or 1911's that they are selling fall into the "proper equipment" category. Yes, you can rebuild one to make it a "decent" shooter, but taking a pounding from either one doesn't build skills nearly as effective as more appropriate firearms.
With the money made through these gun sales, the CMP built Talledega, hosts the Board Matches at Camp Perry for an entire month, fund their traveling matches across the country, etc.

1694793214796.png

Never considered buying one at those prices. To me.....and that's the factor here.....to me.... those old 1911s are worth 400 to 500 bucks. I carried one for years.....great pistols.....but they were worn out and beat up.
Those are mass prices. You can get a great serviceable knockoff for that, or less…..rock Island, etc. they’re no fancy refined 1911, but they’re no joke either.

I dispute your use of the term collectible…..very loosely collectible at best.

How much would you pay for a barely in spec M9?? More than a new glock 17/19?? f*** that.

How much would you pay for a barely in spec M9?? More than a new glock 17/19?? f*** that.
Not disagreeing with that.

I guess my thinking is that if they're barely usable, they must be being sold to sit in a safe. Again, seemingly falling short of the goal. (Except, as @PatMcD said, because they can turn the money into programming, etc.)

There's a huge difference between a US-designed handgun, over 100 years old, and used to win two world wars,.... and an Italian 9mm that just came into US military inventory in the 1980's.

At least in my mind.

I’m confused I didn’t read this whole thing but if you have a curios and relics FFL could you still buy one?

Because they just assume pocket the $ rather then let gun flippers get it, which is 110% what would happen. Go to deli ticket emporium at one time you could smell the flipper garands a mile away. Theyd flip those guns they got for $600 for 1k plus to feebs at DTE consignment.

@Mesatchornug the rando shooting public is better served by a $600 turkatron than one of these guns anyways. CMP knows that, they just assume take the profit from nostalgic boomers and invest it in other programs.

ETA: it does make me wonder if CMP will ever end up with M9 Berettas........ that's a better argument for $300 guns for the masses.

There's a huge difference between a US-designed handgun, over 100 years old, and used to win two world wars,.... and an Italian 9mm that just came into US military inventory in the 1980's.

At least in my mind.
Aaaaaand bingo!!!!!!!!!!

I knew this comment would be on this thread! Never fails. And I called "in" on post 16!!!!!

😂😂😂😂😂

Is it in any way incorrect?
Kind of.

The 1911 was used by our military during 2 wars we won. Big difference in my statement and yours.

I guarantee that if our military was issued a pos revolver during those 2 world wars we would have still won. It played no real role in the outcome of those wars. It was a side arm.....that's all.

The 1911 is an amazing pistol I was issued one for years and liked it alot. I own a modern one now. But it didn't play any role in the outcome of 2 world wars. It didn't.

Kind of.

The 1911 was used by our military during 2 wars we won. Big difference in my statement and yours.

I guarantee that if our military was issued a pos revolver during those 2 world wars we would have still won. It played no real role in the outcome of those wars. It was a side arm.....that's all.

The 1911 is an amazing pistol I was issued one for years and liked it alot. I own a modern one now. But it didn't play any role in the outcome of 2 world wars. It didn't.
Fine. Obviously a handgun didn't win any war. Neither did the Jeep, but it sure would be cool to have a 1942 Willys.

Never considered buying one at those prices. To me.....and that's the factor here.....to me.... those old 1911s are worth 400 to 500 bucks. I carried one for years.....great pistols.....but they were worn out and beat up.

The general public disagrees with you:

Back
Top Bottom