• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chrome-plated AK-47 and a two-year federal prison sentence

When Miller and his wife divorced in 2007, she contacted Naval Criminal Investigative Service agents and informed them that her ex-husband had left the firearms — including a Glock pistol and a live smoke grenade — at her Hemet home and she wanted them gone, according to court documents.

Snitches get Stitches....

Having a dude in the military who can't follow orders, now that is a threat, but one solved with a dishonorable discharge.

Where did they say that? He just stole from the US government, which you think they'd be used to it by now! lol

Where did they say that? He just stole from the US government, which you think they'd be used to it by now! lol
I was broadly inferring from the factual reality that he brought the guns in. I cannot see how that could happen without at least violating a standing general order if not a specific order given when packing/loading to come back.

There is little debate that he violated importation, customs, ITAR, etc... Laws in importing without a license and then NFA34. Perhaps someone .mil can clarify, but generally speaking I would say violating federal law would be a no-no somewhere in the UCMJ.

That is what I meant by "not following orders."

Last edited:
If you fought in Fallijah, and want to bring back some spoils of war, have at it.

He was obviously a great friend too. $500 for a REAL MP5 or FAL?!

"Bitch set me up" -- Sgt. J. Miller (no wait, it was DC Mayor Barry)

But, how is it that he did not predict this?

Anyway, I'd bet that the "stealing gov't property" and "falsifying travel" discharge was based on these guns, too.

Gov't figures that captured enemy weapons are property of USA. The sea-bag aboard the transport was probably attached to the travel of a fictitious Pvt. John Smith, in case it was discovered at Customs. Easy, paper trail things to prove to get the discharge.

--jcr

Last edited:
Can someone please explain "falsifying travel papers", or whatever he was discharged for? What exactly does that mean? Having never been in the military myself, I have no clue what that implies.

I wonder if they made him roll on his buddies in the plea agreement? If so that really sucks for everyone involved because there will likely be more "criminals" produced from this mess.[rolleyes]

Used to be, but worry not, in future wars everyone will get a trophy. [thinking]
Free housing, free food, free medical, free retirement and a comely orange jumpsuit.

I'd like to say that violent crime will at least be very low in this controlled environment, but it seems from stats I have seen that the per-capital murder rate (and even more so the per-capita rape and assault rates) in prisons are much higher than outside prisons.

He might be a scumbag for other things he's done, but punish him for that shit, not for simply possessing something that the government has decided is "extra eeevil and killy" when anyone with a brain knows better.

-Mike

If he was Dishonorably Discharged, does that make him a Prohibited Person? I don't remember seeing that question on a LTC application or the 4473, but not being a veteran I really wouldn't pay attention to it.

I see this differently. A man (his military background here does not mean anyting to me in this story) illegally imported a machine gun (I'm going to assumue that in this case it really was automatic given where it came from). He then illegally possessed/stored etc. said gun. This is a felony. It doesn't matter if we think he or we should be allowed to own it. He broke the law. Whether I agree with the law is a different story. However, as a gun owner, a-holes like this piss me off because they bring negative publicity on a nationwide scale to firearms issues that feed anti's and anti-gun media outlets. I'm not on this guys side...let him serve the two full years.

I see this differently. A man (his military background here does not mean anyting to me in this story) illegally imported a machine gun (I'm going to assumue that in this case it really was automatic given where it came from). He then illegally possessed/stored etc. said gun. This is a felony. It doesn't matter if we think he or we should be allowed to own it. He broke the law. Whether I agree with the law is a different story. However, as a gun owner, a-holes like this piss me off because they bring negative publicity on a nationwide scale to firearms issues that feed anti's and anti-gun media outlets. I'm not on this guys side...let him serve the two full years.
[rolleyes]

Yes, we get it, gun owners are to blame for scaring everyone. If only we didn't insist on owning these big scary things then they wouldn't need to try so hard to ban them. [rolleyes]

It is frustrating to me since I bend over backwards to comply with a literal ream of laws that some people, you know like Senator Kerry (cough - AK47 bringback), just completely ignore the law.

That said, the law is ridiculous and antis, media and appeasement fudds are the actual problem, not people who had near or less than zero likelyhood of hurting anyone with these firearms (nor were they convicted of harming anyone).

Yeah, I don't have a lot of sympathy for him, but he isn't "feeding" anything. He is the willing victim of ridiculous laws that he knew darn well he was breaking, but they are still ridiculous laws. Society will not be made safer by his incarceration.

Last edited:
Agreed that the law sucks. I don't feel actions like this guys will help change it (and I'd like it changed), thus he pisses me off. This story makes me want an MP5 [smile]

If he was Dishonorably Discharged, does that make him a Prohibited Person? I don't remember seeing that question on a LTC application or the 4473, but not being a veteran I really wouldn't pay attention to it.

I believe it's question on the 4473, and yes, it does make one a PP.

-Mike

Agreed that the law sucks. I don't feel actions like this guys will help change it (and I'd like it changed), thus he pisses me off. This story makes me want an MP5 [smile]
No, but even if this guy never happened, they'd still be pushing for bans, so there is no sense in getting our collective gun owning panties in a bunch over bad eggs.

Follow the laws. Work to change the unjust and ridiculous ones. Don't worry about what the antis, fudds and politicians think about us. They don't have to like us, they just have to respect our rights as we do theirs.

this comment infuriates me. Because it sounds like you are justifying his punishment through his other unrelated poor behavior.

People like you are stupid.

Run around and flap you arms in outrage all you want, Shirley. The loser smuggled illegal NFA weapons into the country, sold two of them illegally, and he was caught with the one he kept. There's nothing gray here; it's black letter law, and he knew he was violating it. This isn't some guy whose AR doubled when dirty, or some esoteric reading of an obscure law. This is a guy CHOOSING to commit a felony. He knew what he was doing was wrong.

When did NES start rooting for the guys who knowingly violate the law? I thought gun owners prided themselves on being the good guys, the ones who follow the laws. All of them, not just the ones we find convenient, or the ones we like. If you don't like the law, you change it. You don't knowingly violate it.

And that makes me stupid? People like you embarrass legitimate gun owners everywhere.

Sounds like it was actually the wife possessing it.
+1
The FIRE Arm was not in his possessin ,
So how did they charge him with a crime?
no way an any kind of legal beagle ,but something smells very wrong here.
It was in her house(he allegedly left it behind)as he did not live there any more ?
Also if he has been discharge why was N.C.I.S. called?
I think the ex just needs a hug.

Run around and flap you arms in outrage all you want, Shirley. The loser smuggled illegal NFA weapons into the country, sold two of them illegally, and he was caught with the one he kept. There's nothing gray here; it's black letter law, and he knew he was violating it. This isn't some guy whose AR doubled when dirty, or some esoteric reading of an obscure law. This is a guy CHOOSING to commit a felony. He knew what he was doing was wrong.

When did NES start rooting for the guys who knowingly violate the law? I thought gun owners prided themselves on being the good guys, the ones who follow the laws. All of them, not just the ones we find convenient, or the ones we like. If you don't like the law, you change it. You don't knowingly violate it.

And that makes me stupid? People like you embarrass legitimate gun owners everywhere.

read your first post. Then read this one. You are saying two different things, only because I caught your dumbass running your mouth, and now you're reeling.

The man did something illegal and got caught for it, yes. This is fact. But when you justified his punishment (in your first post) through convincing yourself that this man must be terrible, by reading things that the media has dug up in order to make him look even worse, you are only proliferating the reasons why the media adds this shit in there in the first place.

Put your small man angry attitude aside for one second and think: the media dangled a worm, and you bit. Not only did you bite, but you're mad about it and you've already made up your mind that this man is a bad man, and that he's doing us no favors.

You are stupid. Just like the public that the media contorts. Thanks for making it worse by not thinking.

If your post would have stated that "he broke the law, what did he expect?" that you're digging up in your 2nd post in order to save face from looking like a total dumbass, you wouldn't have had me crawl up your ass. But you didn't. So expect it.

Did you learn today? I'm sick of this shit from you.

read your first post. Then read this one. You are saying two different things, only because I caught your dumbass running your mouth, and now you're reeling.

The man did something illegal and got caught for it, yes. This is fact. But when you justified his punishment (in your first post) through convincing yourself that this man must be terrible, by reading things that the media has dug up in order to make him look even worse, you are only proliferating the reasons why the media adds this shit in there in the first place.

Put your small man angry attitude aside for one second and think: the media dangled a worm, and you bit. Not only did you bite, but you're mad about it and you've already made up your mind that this man is a bad man, and that he's doing us no favors.

You are stupid. Just like the public that the media contorts. Thanks for making it worse by not thinking.

If your post would have stated that "he broke the law, what did he expect?" that you're digging up in your 2nd post in order to save face from looking like a total dumbass, you wouldn't have had me crawl up your ass. But you didn't. So expect it.

Did you learn today? I'm sick of this shit from you.

You are one strange, angry little man. My point is consistent start to finish. The guy is a dirtbag, and deserves whatever comes his way.

This guy is a felon, dishonorably discharged from the .mil for lying and stealing. And they don't give DD's for confusing Monday and Friday on your travel voucher. A dishonorable discharge takes pretty egregious behavior. (Flintoid, egregious means extraordinary in some bad way). AND the guy smuggles illegal NFA weapons into the country. And you hold him up as the poster boy being hounded by the bad old Government. Bullshit.

What I learned today is something I already knew: just because you're a gun owner doesn't mean you're not an anti-social dick. Mom's basement, indeed.

You are one strange, angry little man. My point is consistent start to finish. The guy is a dirtbag, and deserves whatever comes his way.

This guy is a felon, dishonorably discharged from the .mil for lying and stealing. And they don't give DD's for confusing Monday and Friday on your travel voucher. A dishonorable discharge takes pretty egregious behavior. (Flintoid, egregious means extraordinary in some bad way). AND the guy smuggles illegal NFA weapons into the country. And you hold him up as the poster boy being hounded by the bad old Government. Bullshit.

What I learned today is something I already knew: just because you're a gun owner doesn't mean you're not an anti-social dick. Mom's basement, indeed.

Perhaps I could have worded it without throwing insults at your intelligence. It makes me wonder that if I had approached it that way in the first place, perhaps you would have learned something? If so, then that's definitely on me.

Your point has been consistent, then. You read into the facts shared by this single piece of media, have already passed judgement on the man for being an evil piece of crap, and now you're done. Obviously he was evil- the media told you so. And he's a gun owner. So that must be evil, right?

Better go purge your guns, buddy. Because you're a bad man. It's your logic- you made your own conclusions based on the additional facts conveniently provided to you by the media. And you've now propagated the cycle that was the media's intent - to make gun owners look bad.

(propagate, btw, is to cause to spread out and affect a greater number or greater area... in this case, the media propagated the idea that this man is an evil gun owner.... to another gun owner. Figured I'd define that for you since you are providing me the service.)

Back
Top Bottom