Chinese Submarine Accident

I don’t know, but they were buying up our $2 million electron microscopes incredibly fast, it was our biggest market. We didn’t even send installers over, they had local people for all that.

You don’t buy those so you can make plastic toys for vending machines.

Because they wanted to do research or take them apart to reverse engineer it? China is certainly advanced at a lot of things, but a submarine that isn't a POS involves a lot of serious engineering disciplines. They will get there, but they're still behind.

People laughed at Japanese cars in the 70s, then they ate our lunch.
That's true but the Japanese had a lot to play with- American cars were, and still mostly are, basically gutter trash. And not because Americans were incapable of making a better car, but because corpo fags didn't want to. Japan recognized this gap (a consumer desire to buy less shitty cars) and pounced on it.

It was actually Captain We King Hull and he bumped into a rock formation after being blindfolded with dental floss

I hear Stockton Rush has a Chinese half brother in the Chinese Navy
His name is Craptain Crunch.
Actually, that title belongs to John Draper. THE John Draper. A demigod of tech for his earlier work building on the paper Breen and Dahlbom published in the November 1960 issue of the Bell System Technical Journal. His work in that area led to one of Apple's very early products (that may even be pre-Apple). When I worked at Prime in the 80's, one of the engineers had an original copy of that issue.

As to the US reverse engineering the sub - we might not learn anything about building subs, but we would learn the state of Chinese sub technology.

Actually, that title belongs to John Draper. THE John Draper. A demigod of tech for his earlier work building on the paper Breen and Dahlbom published in the November 1960 issue of the Bell System Technical Journal. His work in that area led to one of Apple's very early products (that may even be pre-Apple). When I worked at Prime in the 80's, one of the engineers had an original copy of that issue.

As to the US reverse engineering the sub - we might not learn anything about building subs, but we would learn the state of Chinese sub technology.
Friend of mine, his startup had Draper as a contractor. He has hamfest levels of BO.... 🤣 smart guy though.

Because they wanted to do research or take them apart to reverse engineer it? China is certainly advanced at a lot of things, but a submarine that isn't a POS involves a lot of serious engineering disciplines. They will get there, but they're still behind.

That's true but the Japanese had a lot to play with- American cars were, and still mostly are, basically gutter trash. And not because Americans were incapable of making a better car, but because corpo fags didn't want to. Japan recognized this gap (a consumer desire to buy less shitty cars) and pounced on it.

And if I remember the oil shocks left Americans with a choice of massive American gas guzzlers or tiny efficient Japanese cars with motorcycle engines.

As for the microscopes they don’t seem to have a domestic competitor yet, and these are primarily used for semiconductor and health science, looking at viruses etc.

Last edited:
And if I remember the oil shocks left Americans with a choice of massive American gas guzzlers or tiny efficient Japanese cars with motorcycle engines.
In the grand scheme of things though people were sick of shitty cars that struggled to age gracefully and not rot at a rapid clip.

Prime, a long ago boss got the P from the Prime building when it closed. It was a P and a 1 combined. He kept it in his office

In the grand scheme of things though people were sick of shitty cars that struggled to age gracefully and not rot at a rapid clip.

My mom was a naturalized citizen and always bought American cars. After a string of garbage GM cars in the 70s and 80s she bought her first Japanese car, 1993 Civic EX 5 speed. Traded in a Chevy Celebrity wagon with only 80k miles but was horrible. Got $500 trade. She never bought American again.

The civic was amazing, loved that car. VTEC yo!

As for the microscopes they don’t seem to have a domestic competitor yet, and these are primarily used for semiconductor and health science, looking at viruses etc.
Next time, send them a free HEPA filter, maybe? [laugh]

My guess would be that the Republic of China on Taiwan Ministry of National Defense keeps a somewhat watchful eye on the Taiwan Strait, so if they say no PLAN attack sub went down, unfortunately I I think they're right.

Anyone make a yellow submarine joke yet?

Back
Top Bottom