Chemical Spray Legal History

I think this is the right place to put this question:

How did it come to be that Chemical deturants got clasified as Class D Firearms in Mass?

I've heard the story of the State Trooper with the stun-gun leading to the ban of them here (foolishness)

So how did Pepper Spray, and Mace get taken out of the hands of victems in this state?

-Weer'd Beard

I get the law. But was there any "logical" explanation on why Chemical agents needed to be included with the guns and ammo?

Or was it one of those "Just So Stories"?

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Weerd-

I'd place a fair wager that it was easier and snarkier for the legislators to
merely tack on the OC into an existing law rather than have to make
an entire "new" section covering the posession of OC. It also likely
allowed them to sneak in the fact that they were essentiall banning
default posession outright. (The overtones of the huge revisions were
about guns, not about sprays, so that acted as a diversion. ). I'm sure
the result would have been a bit different if they banned unlicensed
posession on an "all by itself" basis. (Or at least more people would have
complained.... )

-Mike

I don't know the reason for the classification (other than it was passed by the MA legislature, so no big surprise there).

I do recall that as a result of the permit system, the licensing fee for chemical sprays briefly went up to $100.00 along with the other MA permits.

hence the quotes [smile]

Didn't know if there was a story like the incident that took electrical stun devices from the unwashed populos [sic].

I guess not.

-Weer'd Beard

None I'm aware of. I've heard urban legends about rapists who LOVE mace because the victim can't scream, but nothing that would have triggered this particular bit of idiotic legislation.

Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998 - hardly news at this point in time.

I humbly ask . . . Are you absolutely sure that OC/Mace FIRST required an FID due to the 1998 law??

I ask because I seem to remember a few contrary dates:

- I seem to recall that an FID was required back when I first got into shooting in 1976.

- The incident that I related at BC happened in the mid-late 1980s! Long before the 1998 law was even a dream in the warped mind of Queen Cheryl.

FID cards have been required since, IIRC, 1968.

The OP's question, however, dealt with the regulation of chemical sprays. What incident did you relate? It's not on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom