• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Change of Address, again...

umd0808

NES Member
Sorry if it's been covered, I did a search but couldn't find it...

I just moved and need to change my address. I already have the pdf from the CHSB website, and want to clarify one point on it. I always thought when moving you had to send letters to the cheif in town you moved from, cheif in town moved to, and CHSB. But in reading the pdf (link http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/frb_change_address.pdf) it says send to dept that issued my license, new cheif, and CHSB.

In my case, I am moving back to the town that originally issued my license so do I have to notify the chief in the town I am moving from? So does this mean I only have to send the form in to the chief in my town and the CHSB?

Thanks Everyone!

The law (C. 140 § 131(l)) states: "the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board". So no, you don't have to notify the chief in the town you are moving from.

Do you have to notify anyone when you change or move your address within the same town or city?

Yes. You have to notify the same three parties. You could make a case that you weren't moving 'into' a new jurisdiction so you wouldn't have to send a copy to your police chief, but I wouldn't risk that interpretation over a couple of minutes to fill out a quick form and the cost of a stamp. But, obviously, if the town you are moving within is also your original licensing authority, you'd only need to send them one copy.

Here's my scenario: I just sold my property so.....

I'm moving from City "X" to Town "Y" for 6 months (winter rental) while I figure out what the hell my next step is. I know for a fact that I will move back to City X after the 6 months is over so what should I do? ...or, what would you do?

Should I go through all the letter writing and certified mail crap or because I'll be living back in City X before 180 days do I have to?

True, but that is the only protection one may have against an accusation that you never notified

I know we've been through this all before, but how is that any more protection? A certified mail receipt is just as good (or bad) as a delivery confirmation for showing that you made a good faith effort to notify.

LenS said:
(and hence, auto DQ). Small additional cost to protect your non-rights.

It's not an auto DQ. It is "cause for revocation or suspension". But so is suitability. So your licensing authority doesn't even need to trump up some silly failure to notify BS if they wish to revoke your license. Your delivery confirmation wouldn't help you.

Point taken on Certified Receipt. Both that and a signed receipt are good, neither is bullet-proof.

It just does give them ammo to use if they want.

I don't get "warm & fuzzies" about PDs filing paperwork they receive like this.

Yes. You have to notify the same three parties. You could make a case that you weren't moving 'into' a new jurisdiction so you wouldn't have to send a copy to your police chief, but I wouldn't risk that interpretation over a couple of minutes to fill out a quick form and the cost of a stamp. But, obviously, if the town you are moving within is also your original licensing authority, you'd only need to send them one copy.

Agreed, except that you couldn't make a very good case. The statute says "any change of address", which doesn't require a change in jurisdiction. I've always told students that if they move from apartment 2A to apartment 3B in the same building, that still constitutes a change of address and requires reporting.

Ken

Agreed, except that you couldn't make a very good case. The statute says "any change of address", which doesn't require a change in jurisdiction. I've always told students that if they move from apartment 2A to apartment 3B in the same building, that still constitutes a change of address and requires reporting.

Right, I agree that any change of address triggers the need to notify. However, if you do not change jurisdictions, "the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves" refers to a non-existent entity, so there is technically no way to satisfy that part of the statute. But I do think that in such instances, shifting the meaning to be "the chief of police within whose jurisdiction the licensee moves" is the most likely way to satisfy the spirit of the law.

Back
Top Bottom