CEO of Southcoast Hospitals Busted for Assault and Gun Charges

What I find curious is that the charges were "dismissed", rather than a finding of "not guilty" at a bench trail. Is this some sort of thing designed to help the prosecution save face?
What evidently occurred was that the wife asserted marital privilege and the Commonwealth answered not ready for trial and the charge was dismissed.

Edit:
She appeared in court with a lawyer and refused to testify on fifth amendment grounds.

Last edited:
Yeah we knew the assault charges would be dropped the witness wasn’t going to testify against him that would only totally destroy all of their lives.

Now the big question is does that take away the probable cause that led to the discovery? Hmmm..
10:1 the state will argue he gave consent for police entry when they came to claim his firearms.
5:1 he actually did consent.

It is not a liberal or conservative issue. Unless of course you are just envious.

Okay, buddy. There's only one party I see talking about taking my gun rights while having a private collection of their own that breaks many of the laws they force me to obey...

Okay, buddy. There's only one party I see talking about taking my gun rights while having a private collection of their own that breaks many of the laws they force me to obey...
Calm down bucko - I was referring to the privilege one uses in court to avoid these types if things. Everyone, liberal and conservative pulls strings.

Although statistically, liberals are more likely to become sex offenders than conservatives, @ThePreBanMan makes a good point. They strive to marginalize or ban outright the ownership of guns but have no reluctance to employee assumed guards or even keep guns themselves.

"Rules for thee, not for me"

Last edited:
Hope he saved some of that hefty salary. Looks like he's going to need it. [thinking]
I would never even think about investing that kind of money in guns and accessories and keep them here in MA. With red flag law, any crackpot can get your guns confiscated very easily. I have never, ever owned more than 3 guns at one time. 12 gauge 870, Savage B22 .22LR and Savage Axis .223 are what I currently own on my FID. When I retire to either Georgia or Florida, I may purchase a few more (finances permitting!). I can move 3 guns into NH or Maine a lot faster and with a much lower profile than 40. If I am not fast enough and cops grab them, I am out 3 rather than 40 like that guy.

Months later, this still has me chuckling:

The victim told police an argument started over a television show, but became physical when the victim started writing in a journal, which Hovan then allegedly tried to grab, police reports state. An officer reported seeing ripped paper on the floor.

Seriously??? Maybe you need to stay off the sauce, dude.

I would never even think about investing that kind of money in guns and accessories and keep them here in MA. With red flag law, any crackpot can get your guns confiscated very easily. I have never, ever owned more than 3 guns at one time. 12 gauge 870, Savage B22 .22LR and Savage Axis .223 are what I currently own on my FID. When I retire to either Georgia or Florida, I may purchase a few more (finances permitting!). I can move 3 guns into NH or Maine a lot faster and with a much lower profile than 40. If I am not fast enough and cops grab them, I am out 3 rather than 40 like that guy.
It's sad (but understandable) that you feel that way. Massachusetts is not the best state for gun owners. :(

Well they helped the police enforce bullshit gun laws. Do you think they wouldn’t turn on the average gun owner if shit went down? I think that is just as reprehensible as being a bonded warehouse. It doesn’t sit well with me.
I just came upon this post and I'm John from J&S GUNS. Keith Hovan is a very good friend of mine. He requested my help to store his firearms. Bonded and insured warehouses are not all bad. I am posting my # for anyone to call me to discuss how I conduct business to and for unfortunate situations. I have references beginning with Keith Hovan. My # 508 951 8829 any time.

I just came upon this post and I'm John from J&S GUNS. Keith Hovan is a very good friend of mine. He requested my help to store his firearms. Bonded and insured warehouses are not all bad. I am posting my # for anyone to call me to discuss how I conduct business to and for unfortunate situations. I have references beginning with Keith Hovan. My # 508 951 8829 any time.
They are universally bad if your guns are taken involuntarily and turned over to a warehouse of the PDs choosing that has terms no sane person would agree to in a free market transaction. You encounter a wide range of abusive techniques, like "we will buy them all at wholesale as we define it, but will not buy a subset and let you keep some of your guns" as well as "you can't retrieve one of your guns unless you pay fees for all guns and ammo".

It it's a negotiated deal between a dealer and gun owner, it's not a "bonded warehouse" in the common use of the MA term, but just a dealer storing guns.

Since you appear to be a dealer who operates in this space, could you enlighten NES as to what type and amount of bond you get to qualify as 'bonded"? I see no description in the law.

They are universally bad if your guns are taken involuntarily and turned over to a warehouse of the PDs choosing that has terms no sane person would agree to in a free market transaction. You encounter a wide range of abusive techniques, like "we will buy them all at wholesale as we define it, but will not buy a subset and let you keep some of your guns" as well as "you can't retrieve one of your guns unless you pay fees for all guns and ammo".

It it's a negotiated deal between a dealer and gun owner, it's not a "bonded warehouse" in the common use of the MA term, but just a dealer storing guns.

Since you appear to be a dealer who operates in this space, could you enlighten NES as to what type and amount of bond you get to qualify as 'bonded"? I see no description in the law.
Well it seems you believe all warehousing and bonded facilities are for the benefit of trying to deny return of one's property. First off when a person claims wolf it is the police department that acts to impound the firearms and store them in an area not suited to safely store such items. I work with eight departments. I carry one million for insurance and bond for 100,000 for damage of items I store. My company has a Memorandium of Understanding which explains what we will supply. A secure and cared for environment for said items. The MOU releases the city, town and Police dept. of all liability and damage claims. I then Intake item, clean and catalog. I then send registered mail informing the pe rson of the storage. I also request they contact me as soon as possible to come to terns to transfer their items to family or friends. If this is not possible we discuss any plan they have to retrieve their items. I have offered this service for eight years. I have firearms in the vault that have been here for over two years. No complaints. If I have storage and no contact is made I send a final notice of forfeiture. This is not my fault the party does not care to respond to my efforts to get their property to them or a responsible party they choose. This is a very labor intensive and costly business. I do not sell any of these items in my retail shop. I hope you see this for what it is. I'm not that guy who wants to steal your guns. I am the guy that has to dispose of items that parties don't follow up on. Anyone who let's me know what their intentions are has a business that won't burn them. I spent alot of time and funds to legally offer a professional option to a situation that only get worse without a safe affordable storage provision. My past business dealings are my resume. I sleep very well at night.

John @ J@S

Well it seems you believe all warehousing and bonded facilities are for the benefit of trying to deny return of one's property. First off when a person claims wolf it is the police department that acts to impound the firearms and store them in an area not suited to safely store such items. I work with eight departments. I carry one million for insurance and bond for 100,000 for damage of items I store. My company has a Memorandium of Understanding which explains what we will supply. A secure and cared for environment for said items. The MOU releases the city, town and Police dept. of all liability and damage claims. I then Intake item, clean and catalog. I then send registered mail informing the pe rson of the storage. I also request they contact me as soon as possible to come to terns to transfer their items to family or friends. If this is not possible we discuss any plan they have to retrieve their items. I have offered this service for eight years. I have firearms in the vault that have been here for over two years. No complaints. If I have storage and no contact is made I send a final notice of forfeiture. This is not my fault the party does not care to respond to my efforts to get their property to them or a responsible party they choose. This is a very labor intensive and costly business. I do not sell any of these items in my retail shop. I hope you see this for what it is. I'm not that guy who wants to steal your guns. I am the guy that has to dispose of items that parties don't follow up on. Anyone who let's me know what their intentions are has a business that won't burn them. I spent alot of time and funds to legally offer a professional option to a situation that only get worse without a safe affordable storage provision. My past business dealings are my resume. I sleep very well at night.

John @ J@S
There are, or at least have been, bad actors in the business. I am not saying you are necessarily one of them, but the involuntary nature of the business means it is not a mutually negotiated transaction, but one whose terms have been unilaterally determined by one side and binding on the other. Imaging towing without any regulations as to how much the tow yard could charge for the tow or storage.

The desire to maximize profit (natural for any business) pulls in a direction away from ethical behavior. Each bonded warehouse has its own approach to achieving a balance on this and, unlike other businesses, free market principles have absolutely no influence on the pricing or terms.

Much of the bad rep has come from the terms offered by the Village Vault years ago, that were definitely opportunistic in nature. Your business may have managed to avoid all such skullduggery and, if so, I congratulate you.

Questions about your practice:
  • May a gun owner pay the storage fees on a subset of the firearms to get them out of storage or is it "all or none"?
  • If the owner has a buyer for one of their guns will you release that gun so the owner can use the money to pay the fees on the other guns or is it "nope, I said all or none".
  • If you are on vacation, do you tell owners "don't worry, storage fees will continue to accumulate while I am gone, even though you want to be here tomorrow?"
  • How do you arrange auction of the non-redeemed guns, and have you ever refunded the owner an excess of auction return over owed fees?
  • Do you pay a commission in store credits or cash to PDs that transfer guns to you?

If your terms are good, publicize them and you may find that confiscees send you to the PD to grab their collection rather than letter it go to the warehouse of the PD's choosing.

Last edited:
Some years ago when I was facing getting jammed up in a battle with my wife's sociopathic ex, Pullman Arms took custody of some of my stuff. When we weathered that storm and I went to get my stuff back the charge was ....$0.

Not slapping at Jsg, just giving kudos to the owners of Pullman Arms.. They were my go to shop. Classy folks. I'm still pissed they had to give it up.

Some years ago when I was facing getting jammed up in a battle with my wife's sociopathic ex, Pullman Arms took custody of some of my stuff. When we weathered that storm and I went to get my stuff back the charge was ....$0.

Not slapping at Jsg, just giving kudos to the owners of Pullman Arms.. They were my go to shop. Classy folks. I'm still pissed they had to give it up.

Back
Top Bottom