CEO of Southcoast Hospitals Busted for Assault and Gun Charges

Look at the description in the model jury instructions:

Note the part about how the defendant must have "known" the gun was possessed, and must have also known the item was a firearm with the common meaning of that term. If similar instructions are given for a post-ban mag case, the prosecution would have to prove that the defendant (a) know he possessed the mag and (b) knew the mag was post-ban. So, it could hurt the defendant if the prosecution found a post by a defendant bragging about his expertise in identification of post ban mags, and listing all sorts of way to tell that the mags he possessed are post-ban.

If this defendant does go to trial, I would hope that any competent attorney would cite these model jury instructions and argue for similar on the magazine double-knowledge (know posses, know post ban).
I haven't the foggiest notion how to tell if a magazine is preban. I'm sure no shop would ever sell an illegal mag so I assume any mag I've bought in Mass is preban or otherwise legal.

Look at the description in the model jury instructions:

Note the part about how the defendant must have "known" the gun was possessed, and must have also known the item was a firearm with the common meaning of that term. If similar instructions are given for a post-ban mag case, the prosecution would have to prove that the defendant (a) know he possessed the mag and (b) knew the mag was post-ban. So, it could hurt the defendant if the prosecution found a post by a defendant bragging about his expertise in identification of post ban mags, and listing all sorts of way to tell that the mags he possessed are post-ban.

If this defendant does go to trial, I would hope that any competent attorney would cite these model jury instructions and argue for similar on the magazine double-knowledge (know posses, know post ban).
Ok, so was WAS his NES screen name?

No longer a joke question.

His anti-AR letter may have been part of a career strategy.

There are certain opinions you are supposed to have in the health care business. It may not make a difference if a doctor is a shooter, but taking a position in favor of gun rights would no be a strategically good move for a hospital CEO of someone who strives to become one.

There are certain opinions you are supposed to have in the health care business. It may not make a difference if a doctor is a shooter, but taking a position in favor of gun rights would no be a strategically good move for a hospital CEO of someone who strives to become one.

…which makes me far less sympathetic to these sell-out NIMBY types.

Oh definitely. Read some of the other lefty BS that comes out of that organization. But that just makes him a fraud and a hypocrite of the first order. Screw him. :mad:

Updates... not much new.

The quote about 12 rounds was from the article, not the troll

lol. It would have been stupid if they said 10 round “clip” but where does the 12 come from? I’ve never heard 12 for a magazine or “clip.

Btw, what a rocket this case is. Arrested the beginning of November and a trial date a month and a half later?

The assault and battery charges will most likely go away since the people involved aren’t saying anything. Without the assault and battery, the police basically suspended his license, searched his home and confiscated items for no reason. The quick bench trial is probably so he can work things out privately with the judge then be on his way for Christmas vacation.

The assault and battery charges will most likely go away since the people involved aren’t saying anything. Without the assault and battery, the police basically suspended his license, searched his home and confiscated items for no reason. The quick bench trial is probably so he can work things out privately with the judge then be on his way for Christmas vacation.
Does that mean he wont get busted for the Hi Caps?

Does that mean he wont get busted for the Hi Caps?

A disadvantage of a bench trial is we will not be able to see the jury instructions and learn if the defendant only needed to know he possessed the mags, or if he also needed to know they were pre-ban.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a nice little fix being worked out behind the scenes to make all this pesky ugliness go away. [thinking]
I hope so. I hope he can use his stature to get off or get off easy. Nothing wrong with that. We all use connections when we can to "bend" things.

A disadvantage of a bench trial is we will not be able to see the jury instructions and learn if the defendant only needed to know he possessed the mags, or if he also needed to know they were pre-ban.

He’s only on trial for the A&B and related charges, not the mags. He hasn’t even been arraigned on the magazines so that trial if it ever happens is well off in the future

well his lawyer must be pretty confident the Judges down there are going to be push overs, and/or the wife and kids are going to be out of the country and refuse to testify, that leaves only his statements to hang him on the A&B charges.

Either that or the lawyer doesn't feel he can win in front of a jury or on appeal.

Is it still the case in MA that you do not get two bites at the apple like it was in the good old days... if you opt for a bench trial and it doesn't go your way , you can't ask for a jury trial?

They got
Is it still the case in MA that you do not get two bites at the apple like it was in the good old days... if you opt for a bench trial and it doesn't go your way , you can't ask for a jury trial?
They got rid of that option years ago.

I thought that was the case but I was not sure..... it has been a long time since I have been in a court room

That's what bench trials are famous for, fixing cases and making them go away.
What I find curious is that the charges were "dismissed", rather than a finding of "not guilty" at a bench trail. Is this some sort of thing designed to help the prosecution save face?

Yeah we knew the assault charges would be dropped the witness wasn’t going to testify against him that would only totally destroy all of their lives.

Now the big question is does that take away the probable cause that led to the discovery? Hmmm..

Back
Top Bottom