CCW in General Aviation?

Does anyone know the laws or regulations regarding CCW for general aviation, such as at Hanscom?

Obviously the pilot of the plane is the boss, but given their approval, is it legal to carry on a private flight? I've never had to go through any security to board a private (rented) plane at any airport, but I'd obviously like to be sure of the law.

You know, that's a good question.

Some people say that when you own property, it goes from the ground to the sky.

So, I would think that as long as you're only flying over states that you have a permit for, you would be ok. Same as driving.

Say, you have to make an emergency landing in a state that you don't have a CCW for, you could be subject to arrest.

Don't hold me to this, and I hope some of the Legal Eagles here will chime in...but that would be my guess.

C-pher said:
Say, you have to make an emergency landing in a state that you don't have a CCW for, you could be subject to arrest.

Don't hold me to this, and I hope some of the Legal Eagles here will chime in...but that would be my guess.

Good point. This is mostly for little jaunts to NH, Provincetown, or Nantucket, so I'd be legally CCW in any of these cases. What I'm more curious about is the airfield itself, as we walk onto our little plane.

I dug out some proposals that would have banned guns outright from all airport grounds (including Logan) but I don't think that passed, and I couldn't find any more information about it.

Certainly, being able to waltz right onto a plane without security checks is pretty cool.

At hanscom there's a yellow line painted on the ground around the "secure area." Don't step on (never mind over) that line gun or no gun. You can get to the private planes without going through the secure area. Inside, there's a door on the left to the private planes and a guard station on the right to get to the secure area door. Outside, the only thing separating the two is the yellow line and somebody watching out of a tower making sure nobody crosses it. One of my instructors tells me he unthinkingly cut across the corner of the yellow line once and got a stern talking to when he got back in.

I don't believe it is illegal to CCW unless you try to do it in the secure area. Yes this is almost a free country sometimes if you have enough money to fly your own plane.

Last edited:
crakowski said:
I don't believe it is illegal to CCW unless you try to do it in the secure area. Yes this is almost a free country sometimes if you have enough money to fly your own plane.

That brings up a good point.... I wonder if there's enough of us that if we watned to fly...we could all chip in and rack up hours???

I might have to start another thread.....

Sorry, back on topic.

If anybody wants to split a very small plane (Diamond Katana or DA40 Star) I might start flying again and get my license.

Anyone ex-mil (including Coast Guard) and CAP should look into the Hanscom Aero Club. We have VERY low rental rates for T-41's (a 2 seat Cessna 172 used for primary training) and then progressively faster and more expensive Piper singles; then step up to a multi-engine Baron. I do mean cheap -- it costs less to put in 60-70 hours renting from them then owing your own.

See http://www.hanscomaeroclub.com.

A partnership changes the economics of course. I am interested, but mostly in something lower and slower like a Cub. I personally see no need to ever fly single-pilot hard IFR.

cheers,
Chuck

Gen. Av.

I weas never prohibited from carrying a firearm either on my own Cessna or those I rented. But as it was pointed out, the Pilot in command has the final say.[thinking]

rscalzo said:
I weas never prohibited from carrying a firearm either on my own Cessna or those I rented. But as it was pointed out, the Pilot in command has the final say.[thinking]

Which begs the question: Is there any legal requirement that you have to TELL the Pilot that you are carrying concealed?

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom