CCW bags

I searched, but can't find a thread dedicated to this topic. Please redirect me if I overlooked it.

I'm coming to the determination that CCW of my full-sized 1911 in or on my pants is not going to be practical, so I'm interested in a small diagonally slung shoulder bag or front pack to do the trick. I don't want to go as big as a full ruecksack.

Anyone have a favorite in terms of comfort, accessibility and looks?

You mean a Tactical Man Purse? TacManPu for short.
I bought a 511 Push pack for our recent vacation to Utah and AZ. I carried a full size Taurus Tracker. and some extra ammo.
For the relatively light weight that was in the bag, I found it uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. It didn't seem to hang right for me. It worked well to give to the kids for a quick trip to the bathroom, or a short hike.
The holster area seemed a little tight as well.
For the money I would look at a different brand or model.

View attachment 23311

have you checked out what maxpedition has? they have some sweet swing-around backpacks that look pretty good, and seems like decently quick access to a firearm without looking like a dude with a murse.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Sitka-Gearslinger-12p926.htm

Thanks, Chris. It's a little bigger than what I'm looking for, but I see that they also have the "Remora" model that may be about right. One of my requirements is that it needs to be able to remain at hand, or maybe even wearable, while in the car (per MA regs "under my direct control").

As for looking like a dude with a murse, well, my wife's European so maybe I can call it a "European carry-all" [wink]

Thanks again!

Maybe a shoulder holster would work for you. I just ordered a Galco Miami jackass rig for my S&W 1911. Pricey but it is supposed to be the best.

Maybe a shoulder holster would work for you. I just ordered a Galco Miami jackass rig for my S&W 1911. Pricey but it is supposed to be the best.

Thanks for the tip, and thanks for your service!

One of the things I'm trying to accomplish with the bag as well is what I might call "clothing independence". Not sure if the shoulder holster would meet that requirement, but it would certainly be more comfortable in the car!

Just a question what holsters have you tried with your 1911 - you may not have found the one yet but many others have been down the path before looking for that daily holster of choice.

Just a question what holsters have you tried with your 1911 - you may not have found the one yet but many others have been down the path before looking for that daily holster of choice.

Currently have only a Blackhawk Serpa with paddle and belt attachments. I like the paddle for the range, but my usual jackets aren't long enough to conceal it and it prints pretty significantly anyway.

I've already pretty much ruled out IWB because it wouldn't fit in any of my jeans. IWB might work with my suits, but if I'm in a suit I'm typically at customer sites or in the office where CCW would be a career limiting choice if it were ever discovered.

I have a Maxpedition like Boghog does, but I only use mine for carry while hiking. (Because hiking 6 miles with a gun IWB sucks). I would never use it for day to day stuff.... too obvious, and too much of a pain in the ass. Off body carry generally sucks unless you're completely out of other options. If I was forced to carry off body all the time I'd probably end up leaving the gun at home, because if it's not in reach all the time, it's usefulness is limited.

I strongly urge you to rethink what you are trying to do. "Wah I don't want to use IWB because I don't want to buy new pants" is sort of a crappy way to approach the issue- and if all you've ever used is a Serpa, it's not a surprise that you think you cant' conceal anything- that's about the fattest, least concealable holster on the market.

-Mike

Currently have only a Blackhawk Serpa with paddle and belt attachments. I like the paddle for the range, but my usual jackets aren't long enough to conceal it and it prints pretty significantly anyway.

I've already pretty much ruled out IWB because it wouldn't fit in any of my jeans. IWB might work with my suits, but if I'm in a suit I'm typically at customer sites or in the office where CCW would be a career limiting choice if it were ever discovered.

Well, there's your problem. Your holster sucks and you are unwilling to change your wardrobe.

If you are carrying in a belt holster then you have to wear a concealment garment. If you are carrying owb then the garment has to be longer than if you are carrying IWB. If you are carrying IWB, then your belt and pants will need to be about 1" bigger than normal.

As a holster, the Serpa just sucks all around, and paddle holsters in general don't conceal as well.

A good OWB holster is the Raven Concealment Phantom. A good IWB holster is the Kramer #3.

I'm just not a fan of off-body carry as it is far too easy to put the bag down and not keep it under your control.

I hear what you're saying wrt on-body carry vs off-body, and have certainly not given up on looking for a workable iwb or owb holster and/or considering changing my wardrobe. It's a worthy discussion and not the first time it's been debated.

All that said, I would like to hear more from folks about their ccw bags. Has anyone tried the Tactical Tailor Crossfire or carry pouch?

GUN PURSE -- Soft Sided Holstered Sling Bag.

5T4ICJVOAXQS.jpg

I hear what you're saying wrt on-body carry vs off-body, and have certainly not given up on looking for a workable iwb or owb holster and/or considering changing my wardrobe. It's a worthy discussion and not the first time it's been debated.

I am not trying to be a smart ass but there is no debate about it, your not concealing your firearm properly because of your holster, belt, wardrobe. You can carry a full size in shorts and a t-shirt so your wardrobe should not have to change that much. I really suggest you rethink your decision to go off the body carry.

ME: 5'11 165pounds

Last edited:

All that said, I would like to hear more from folks about their ccw bags. Has anyone tried the Tactical Tailor Crossfire or carry pouch?
i got my Maxpedition bag because I was having a tough time hiding a double stack .45, when I switched to a decent belt, Kholster IWB (Crossbreed knock off) and pants and shirts of the proper fit you can't tell any longer. The Bag is cumbersome and my shoulder got sore because I ended up carrying crap I didn't need, the weight of the bag is almost as much as my weekend back pack. As for my holster it took mods to make it work, don't cheap out get the crossbreed supertuck and call it a day.

ETA 5'11" and 195lbs

Last edited:
Appreciate the other bag ideas AND the continued pitch for on body carry. Trying not to get too far off topic, but what do you do with the full-size 1911 carried iwb (crossbreed, for example) when buckled into the driver's seat?

Sure, I can get a more appropriate carry piece, but after the new 1911 and the Carbine (and the shotgun gunsmithing...) I need to take a break on the metal for a while.

Appreciate the other bag ideas AND the continued pitch for on body carry. Trying not to get too far off topic, but what do you do with the full-size 1911 carried iwb (crossbreed, for example) when buckled into the driver's seat?

Sure, I can get a more appropriate carry piece, but after the new 1911 and the Carbine (and the shotgun gunsmithing...) I need to take a break on the metal for a while.

Buy some plastic then [wink]

Back
Top Bottom