CCW at Logan?

Just got off the phone with the state police and according to the dispatcher no one except an on-duty police officer (or on military assignment) assigned to Logan can have a weapon on any airport property, secured by metal detectors or otherwise. This even applies to off-duty police (even off-duty troopers). According to her the only exemption to this is if you are travelling with a firearm properly stored in checked baggage according to TSA regulations.

Just got off the phone with the state police and according to the dispatcher no one except an on-duty police officer (or on military assignment) assigned to Logan can have a weapon on any airport property, secured by metal detectors or otherwise. This even applies to off-duty police (even off-duty troopers). According to her the only exemption to this is if you are travelling with a firearm properly stored in checked baggage according to TSA regulations.

That was my understanding also. Now Manchester Airport goes in the other direction and allows carry up to the check-in area.

the security zone is in the ocean

the security zone is in the ocean

Part of it is. The MGL reads:

"there is hereby created a security zone bordering the General Edward Lawrence Logan Airport that shall include the area between the mean high water line of said airport and a line measured 500 feet seaward of and parallel to said mean high water line from Wood Island Basin to the easterly end of Jeffries Cove as shown on a plan entitled “Plan of General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport Security Zone” prepared by Massachusetts Port Authority Capital Programs Department, April 2002."

So it says bordering the airport including the 500ft seaward. So if my eyes and brain are working right that means all of the airport property on land and 500ft out to sea.

So it says bordering the airport including the 500ft seaward. So if my eyes and brain are working right that means all of the airport property on land and 500ft out to sea.

No, aklaft is correct, that MGL is only talking about the ocean. It starts from the mean high water line and extends 500 feet out in the ocean.

No, aklaft is correct, that MGL is only talking about the ocean.

Perhaps but IMHO it's vague. All I know is that the state police are interpreting the law to mean that you can't CCW on any airport property. If you want to get caught and argue it out with them then god bless you [smile]

All I know is that the state police are interpreting the law to mean that you can't CCW on any airport property. If you want to get caught and argue it out with them then god bless you [smile]

Yes, the MSP are correct; CCW is not allowed at Logan. But unless you're on a boat, it is not per C. 90 § 61. It is per 740 CMR 21.11.

Yes, the MSP are correct; CCW is not allowed at Logan. But unless you're on a boat, it is not per C. 90 § 61. It is per 740 CMR 21.11.

I'm not saying that they're correct or not per that MGL but it's the only one I could find that related to Logan Airport.

EDIT:
Just reread your post so ignore anything below [smile]

I guess for all of us here do you happen to know what law does restrict (or otherwise permit) CCW at logan airport if it's not C. 90 § 61?

I'm just asking not trying to be a troublemaker [wink]

Last edited:
So after reading 740 CMR 21.11 it would appear that the dispatcher who gave me the information was incorrect. 740 CMR 21.11 would exempt state & federal LEO's (and a few others) from the firearms restrictions but not municipal LEO's or mere civilians? Am I reading this correctly?

So after reading 740 CMR 21.11 it would appear that the dispatcher who gave me the information was incorrect. 740 CMR 21.11 would exempt state & federal LEO's (and a few others) from the firearms restrictions but not municipal LEO's or mere civilians? Am I reading this correctly?

The reality is that anybody who the MSP wants can CCW, and anybody who they don't is liable to get fined.

Best advice is to stay the hell away from Logan at all costs! If you MUST travel by air, go to Manchester, Worcester or TF Green and avoid the idiocy!

SPO-7

Logan tests ‘wave’ of future to keep air passengers safe

By Laura Crimaldi | Sunday, May 24, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage

Photo by Mark Garfinkel
Logan International Airport has two new sets of high-tech eyes aimed at detecting explosives, weapons and other prohibited items before they pose a security threat, officials say.

One piece of technology, the SPO-7, is receiving its first formal test run at Logan, said Federal Security Director George N. Naccara. Here to stay are new X-ray machines capable of capturing multiple angles and more vivid images of passenger luggage.

The SPO-7 is the most visible of the two new technologies. The tripodmounted unit uses “passive millimeter wave” technology to detect unusual objects concealed on a person. They cost about $200,000 per unit and are operated by Transportation Security Administration staff.

They are intended for scanning public concourses, ticketing areas and other large segments of the airport that are outside the innermost security zones.

“It’s putting the checkpoint out further and further,” said Naccara, who istesting two SPO-7 units for 60 days in terminals throughout the airport. Naccara, a pioneer in aviation security, has long championed the concept of layering wider and wider safety perimeters around Logan to enhance security.

The passive millimeter wave technology detects possible explosives by sensing anomalies in the energy emitted by people and the objects they have on their person or under their clothes.

They are made by British-based QinetiQ and were briefly put to the test at airports in St. Paul, Minn., and Denver last summer during the Democratic and Republican national conventions.

Passive millimeter wave is different from the controversial whole-body millimeter wave technology in use at 19 airports nationwide. Whole-body imaging machines bounce millimeter waves off of one’s body to generate a metallic-looking image of the subject’s figure that many have argued is too revealing and intrusive. Naccara said opposition to whole-body imaging has waned since technology improvements made it possible to turn down the resolution parameters so the images being studied by security employees are less revealing.

That technology is slated to come to Logan later this year, Naccara said. The new baggage X-ray machines, manufactured by Britain-based Smiths Detection, are being deployed at airports nationwide. So far 14 machines have been installed at Logan.

By November, another 24 will go online, Naccara said.

The new units have two monitors on top and are formally known as AT X-ray machines. Prohibited carry-on items, the bane of screeners after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, have dropped to almost none, with the exception of liquids, said Naccara.

He keeps a stash of some of the most outrageous items ever confiscated by security screeners, including a samurai sword, a cane with a pike hidden in the handle, a clock affixed to fake TNT and an after-shave lotion shaped like a bomb.

Naccara said TSA, Massport and law enforcement officials continue to hold a daily 8:30 a.m. Security meeting, which was initiated on Sept. 12, 2001, and has been held every day since.

“It allows us to focus on the vulnerabilities,” he said. “You have to make it worthwhile for people to invest the time in good practices.”

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1174388

Hmmm...I have to go to Logan 2 times next week to pick up/see off friends. This SPO-7 is a revolting new development. [thinking]

I see it in B terminal all the time. It's right inside the doors on level 2 near the elevators, you can't miss it. They scan everyone walking by and can pinpoint it on anyone.

It's like anywhere else in MA, what do you need a gun for? The cops are right there to protect you from the bad guys.... Remember!!!!

So, if you are dropping someone off on a red-eye and driving back through Boston on nearly deserted streets, they want you to be unarmed? Sounds smart.

How long has it been here?

It's been there off and on for at least 2 months. I think they move it around from terminal to terminal because it's not there some days. I fly every week at different times but it doesn't appear like it has a schedule. They usually leave the table up near the doors though. The unit sits on a tripod and there are 2 or 3 guys at the table operating it.

It's been there off and on for at least 2 months. I think they move it around from terminal to terminal because it's not there some days. I fly every week at different times but it doesn't appear like it has a schedule. They usually leave the table up near the doors though. The unit sits on a tripod and there are 2 or 3 guys at the table operating it.

Yeah, I saw it there on Monday when I left for St. Louis and again on Friday morning when I got back. That was a first for me, and it was an uncomfortable feeling having the thing track you as you walk by. I fly all the time and have nothing to hide, but I still didn't like it.

Hmm I have been all through out the airport and I haven't gotten approached by anyone asking me why I have what I have on me. Guess I have just not been scanned by it yet or they don't care.

How many people think if that scanned you and you were carrying that they would approach you?

Back
Top Bottom