• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying rifle in Pickup truck in NH

Hi all.

I don't have a NH resident LTC as my only firearm is my .308 rifle. I transport it to the range in my truck. Is it legal to have the magazine unloaded in the glove box, with my ammo in the glove box, while my rifle is in a hard case in my back seat unloaded?

I have a mass drivers license, but NO LTC. I stay in NH and only transport it in NH.
thank you!

You can have the rifle on your lap and the mag in your hand.

The only rule is no mag inserted or round in the gun.

There is no requirement for a case or storing them separately.

You can have the rifle on your lap and the mag in your hand.

The only rule is no mag inserted or round in the gun.

There is no requirement for a case or storing them separately.

Pretty sure you could have an empty mag inserted in the rifle, too.

So long as there's no ammo in the mag or chamber, you're fine.

Wow great news. I knew about walking with a rifle. But wasn't sure about driving. And this is all without a NH LTC, and I have a MA license? Also I have no LTC in mass either, but the weapon stays in NH and I stay a lot at my dads in NH.

Wow great news. I knew about walking with a rifle. But wasn't sure about driving. And this is all without a NH LTC, and I have a MA license? Also I have no LTC in mass either, but the weapon stays in NH and I stay a lot at my dads in NH.

There is no provision in the "LTC", aka P&R license in NH. No one legally carrying a rifle in NH needs any permit at all. Not even a MA resident with no other firearms 'permission' from MA.

This does not apply if you are a Federally Prohibited Person.

Correct. A NH license is a Pistol and Revolver conceal permit only. Zero to do with rifles/shotguns.

The only thing a P&R license changes with respect to a vehicle is it allows you to carry a LOADED pistol on your person while in a vehicle.

Side note, any barrel under 16" in NH is a pistol. So if you have a 14.5" AR Pistol or shorter you can carry it loaded in the vehicle, side stepping the loaded "long gun" rule because its not classified as a long gun.

Correct. A NH license is a Pistol and Revolver conceal permit only. Zero to do with rifles/shotguns.

The only thing a P&R license changes with respect to a vehicle is it allows you to carry a LOADED pistol on your person while in a vehicle.

Side note, any barrel under 16" in NH is a pistol. So if you have a 14.5" AR Pistol or shorter you can carry it loaded in the vehicle, side stepping the loaded "long gun" rule because its not classified as a long gun.

Provided of course that you get that tissue paper P&R license signed by your local and omnipotent police chief (or state police if non-resident).

Mass laws only apply in Mass. Once you leave the state you become free too.
unless you're going to rhode island, jersey, or n.y. oops forgot conn. just go north from mass and you're good

Last edited:
truckgunrack.jpg

adapt.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

110_small.gif

IMG_2353.jpg

That's why the "window rack" was developed, to keep the firearm in a non-concealed location.

Here you go:

Gun racks are our business!

It doesn't need to be on your person.

My AR sits in my ceiling gun rack unloaded with full pmags ready to go in the center console in this freedom loving state of NH.

Hi all.

I don't have a NH resident LTC as my only firearm is my .308 rifle. I transport it to the range in my truck. Is it legal to have the magazine unloaded in the glove box, with my ammo in the glove box, while my rifle is in a hard case in my back seat unloaded?

I have a mass drivers license, but NO LTC. I stay in NH and only transport it in NH.
thank you!

Lol. Even what you suggested is overkill. The gun doesn't need to be in a case and most would agree that the way the law reads, the mag can be loaded so long as it's not inserted. Or the mag could be inserted and unloaded. Just no rounds in the gun in any capacity.

I keep my AR in my car with a loaded mag within arm's reach but never in the gun.

Back
Top Bottom