Carry in Vermont on Mass LTC-A?

Take a look at there track record on prosecuting or even discouraging child molesters? Not very good to say the least. No Jessica's law??? Come on!!!!! I would not let my child out of my sight if I lived in VT including sending them to school up there. All the other comments about them being progressive moonbats are true. Do a search and you wont have far to look.

After my question quite a number of opinions were presented, and I thank you for yet another one. I really havent been to vermont since I was a kid, so I didnt know any of this stuff. Honestly, it doesnt seem as nice a place as I had thought it did.

VT is a tiny state. They recently passed an emergency exemption to their no billboard laws to exempt an advertising mural on the side of a barn. Understand there is not gridlock and a solid left majority they can pass anything they want to. Ask yourself why is this still legal(story follows)? There was a VT blogger that defended the man and said what's the big deal, otherwise this story didn't really raise any eyebrows(yes it was covered in all the major outlets.) If you want to be hardcore libertarian fine just make it illegal to shag other peoples cows. Freedom to be perverse is not harmed that way. Enjoy your Ben and Jerry's with extra protein since 1985.
Man admits to sexual relations with cows

By Daphne Larkin Times Argus Staff - Published: August 1, 2007

BARRE – A man caught in a dairy barn just before midnight in late May was not only violating the boundaries of the farmer's property, but he admitted to police that he was there sexually molesting the cows.

Fifty-six-year-old Gregory Viens, of Fayston, pleaded no contest last week in Vermont District Court in Barre to the misdemeanor charge of unlawful trespass and paid the court $601 in fines for his crime.

On May 29, Viens was caught in the barn of the Scribner Farm on River Road in Moretown when a farm employee, who had noticed Viens' vehicle parked near the farm, went around to the back of the barn and caught Viens inside.

Viens attempted to run away from the farm employee, but the employee caught up with him and held him in custody until police arrived about five minutes later.

Employees at the farm had suspected Viens of trespassing on the farm and knew he had a history of sexual relations with cows, according to court documents. In a police affidavit, Vermont Police State Police Sergeant Marc Thomas wrote that Viens admitted when he was caught that he was in the barn to have sex with the animals.

Stephen Scribner, manager of the Scribner Farm, told police he suspected Viens had been trespassing and that Vien's presence there made farm employees uncomfortable.

Police issued a notice of no trespass on the Scribner Farm to Viens.

Viens was convicted of the same charge in 2000.

Police said Viens was alleged to have had intercourse with the cows in the previous case, so prosecutors explored other possible charges to bring against him besides trespassing. But consultation with a veterinarian concluded no harm was being done to the cow, so a charge of cruelty to animals would not stick.

Other farmers in the area, who wished to remain anonymous, said they have been dealing with Viens trespassing since as far back as 1985. Several had caught Viens in their cow barns and had issued notices of no trespass against him.

One farmer said the first time Viens was caught on his farm Viens admitted to police that he was having intercourse with the cows.

Contact Daphne Larkin at (802) 479-0191 ext.1171 or [email protected].
http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070801/NEWS02/708010330/1003/NEWS02

Correct me if I'm wrong but because VT doesn't have gun permits it makes it either very hard or impossible to get a non-resident permit in another state. This is because to apply for a non-resident permit you must hold a valid permit in the state in which you live. I have a friend in VT and he has 0
non-res permits for this reason. I think i remember him saying there was a way to get one in NH but it was kind of a pain. If this is true its kind of a trade off. One one hand you can buy whatever you want and buy it fairly cheap. On the other hand you can't carry a gun in any other state. Hell most of the members here have at least one but most of 2 or 3 out of state permits.

Maybe a simple licensing process would make it easier for them. More of technicality type thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but because VT doesn't have gun permits it makes it either very hard or impossible to get a non-resident permit in another state. This is because to apply for a non-resident permit you must hold a valid permit in the state in which you live. ...
Maybe a simple licensing process would make it easier for them. More of technicality type thing.

Like a letter from one's police chief? That suffices for a MA NR-LTC:

a. Letter from the Police Chief: Applicants who reside in states that do not require a resident to obtain a firearm permit must submit a recent letter from the police chief in the community where he or she resides which either attests to the applicants good character, or states whether or not the police department is aware of any local action that would prevent issuance of a license to carry a firearm. If your community does not have a police chief, a letter from any police authority which has jurisdiction in your community is acceptable

I guess that works. I didn't know MA allowed that. I knew the letter from the Police chief was sufficient in NH.

Guessing is irrelevant. I quoted the actual application instructions.

Amazing what can be found by actually looking.

arent silencers illegal in MA, too?
I was making a bit of a joke. Next time I'll put the smiley there.

Viens attempted to run away from the farm employee, but the employee caught up with him and held him in custody until police arrived about five minutes later.
Difficult to run away with your pants down around your ankles, I'd guess.

Although I have no idea what this story has to do with emergency legislation about billboards.

Looking for advice, opinion, experience. Travleing to Vermont in March by car, direct route Mass to Vermont and was wondering if Vermont Gun Laws (or lack of) allow non-residents to carry concealed, open, transport, etc. Reviewed their laws but could not find anyting on non-residents. Other web searchs claim that Vermont makes no distinction between residents and non-residents for the purpose of ownership, or carry. For purchase in Vermont, you must conform to your resident state laws...etc.
Thanks.

They actually prefer you to carry concealed so you don't scare the tourists LOL

Although I have no idea what this story has to do with emergency legislation about billboards.
Point is the VT legislature condones this type of behavior. They could put an end to it but they won't, no cow shagging laws no Jessica's law. Perverts get a wink and nod in VT.

Point is the VT legislature condones this type of behavior. They could put an end to it but they won't, no cow shagging laws no Jessica's law. Perverts get a wink and nod in VT.

Im going to have to disagree with that. Yes, child molesters are bad, and should be killed as far as im concerned, however making a new law to deal with cow raping seems a bit stupid. Plus, the two have nothing to do with one another. You have evidence that one guy does it, why bother? Use the existing laws to fine him or get him trespassed from all the farms, then you dont have issues.

Im going to have to disagree with that. Yes, child molesters are bad, and should be killed as far as im concerned, however making a new law to deal with cow raping seems a bit stupid. Plus, the two have nothing to do with one another. You have evidence that one guy does it, why bother? Use the existing laws to fine him or get him trespassed from all the farms, then you dont have issues.

Seriously. I'm pretty sure the farmer could have legally shot the guy. As far as I'm concerned, give the farmer a nice .308 and tell him to put up a sigh:

"Trespassers will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again."

I guess that works. I didn't know MA allowed that. I knew the letter from the Police chief was sufficient in NH.

The NH non-res permit is VERY easy to get for vermonters. Its exactly as easy as it is for NH residents. $20 and a quick letter from your local Chief saying that you have committed no crimes as far as they are aware. Most states have a "must have permit if required in home state" clause in their non resident applications. Even MA and CT.

VT is a tiny state. They recently passed an emergency exemption to their no billboard laws to exempt an advertising mural on the side of a barn. Understand there is not gridlock and a solid left majority they can pass anything they want to. Ask yourself why is this still legal(story follows)? There was a VT blogger that defended the man and said what's the big deal, otherwise this story didn't really raise any eyebrows(yes it was covered in all the major outlets.) If you want to be hardcore libertarian fine just make it illegal to shag other peoples cows. Freedom to be perverse is not harmed that way. Enjoy your Ben and Jerry's with extra protein since 1985.
Man admits to sexual relations with cows

By Daphne Larkin Times Argus Staff - Published: August 1, 2007

BARRE – A man caught in a dairy barn just before midnight in late May was not only violating the boundaries of the farmer's property, but he admitted to police that he was there sexually molesting the cows.

Fifty-six-year-old Gregory Viens, of Fayston, pleaded no contest last week in Vermont District Court in Barre to the misdemeanor charge of unlawful trespass and paid the court $601 in fines for his crime.

On May 29, Viens was caught in the barn of the Scribner Farm on River Road in Moretown when a farm employee, who had noticed Viens' vehicle parked near the farm, went around to the back of the barn and caught Viens inside.

Employees at the farm had suspected Viens of trespassing on the farm and knew he had a history of sexual relations with cows, according to court documents. In a police affidavit, Vermont Police State Police Sergeant Marc Thomas wrote that Viens admitted when he was caught that he was in the barn to have sex with the animals.

Stephen Scribner, manager of the Scribner Farm, told police he suspected Viens had been trespassing and that Vien's presence there made farm employees uncomfortable.

Police issued a notice of no trespass on the Scribner Farm to Viens.

Viens was convicted of the same charge in 2000.

Police said Viens was alleged to have had intercourse with the cows in the previous case, so prosecutors explored other possible charges to bring against him besides trespassing. But consultation with a veterinarian concluded no harm was being done to the cow, so a charge of cruelty to animals would not stick.

Other farmers in the area, who wished to remain anonymous, said they have been dealing with Viens trespassing since as far back as 1985. Several had caught Viens in their cow barns and had issued notices of no trespass against him.

One farmer said the first time Viens was caught on his farm Viens admitted to police that he was having intercourse with the cows.

Contact Daphne Larkin at (802) 479-0191 ext.1171 or [email protected].
http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070801/NEWS02/708010330/1003/NEWS02

Wait a minute - you mean to tell me this guy was having intercourse with the cows?

Take a look at there track record on prosecuting or even discouraging child molesters? Not very good to say the least. No Jessica's law??? Come on!!!!! I would not let my child out of my sight if I lived in VT including sending them to school up there.

I despise child molesters. But don't think that in Mass. they're all serving hard time for their crimes, or that the laws will deter the criminals.

Correct me if I'm wrong but because VT doesn't have gun permits it makes it either very hard or impossible to get a non-resident permit in another state. This is because to apply for a non-resident permit you must hold a valid permit in the state in which you live.

Sort of. Some states require you to have a home state permit in order to get a non-res. LTC, but it's most likely because they didn't consider that some states don't issue permits when they wrote their laws. Illinois and Wisconsin don't even have provisions in the law for legal CC by permit, so it's an issue for people in those states too. Alaska doesn't require a permit to open or concealed carry, but they do offer a permit for reciprocity purposes. Wyoming and Arizona have recently introduced legislation to be like Alaska with their laws.

But there is a way around that for people who live in states that don't issue permits. They can get a non-res. LTC from a state who issues whether or not you have a home state permit (like Florida), and then use that to apply in Maine, CT, etc., who require you to have another permit. This doesn't work in every case though.

The danger of Vermont is thinking they don't have any gun laws. They do: lots of them, and they change every time you cross a political boundary. They don't have pre-emption, they have lots of local restrictions, and there are lots of places off limits.

Are you sure? Cite an example of a "local law" there that supercedes state law without being something like a crappy civil infraction/ordinance. Lots of places have noise ordinances, etc, even in preemption states, but if they were seriously challenged in court, they would fail.

-Mike

I've heard rumors of town limits on shooting(ie no centerfires after X o'clock) but I've never seen them written anywhere or met anyone cited for violating one. Rutland was trying to ban guns within the city limits, but didn't get very far.

Back
Top Bottom