Carry Ammo

What do you run in your carry gun?

Ive read alot about people carrying a mix of FMJ's and JHP's, 2 FMJ's on top followed by JHP's etc.

What do you run and why?

I carry one FMJ in the pipe, one on the top of my mag followed by JHP's. I do alot of driving and figure if I should ever need to put a round either through my truck or into someone elses vehicle (call me crazy) a FMJ would do a better job of getting through...

I only carry JHP. I wouldn't want something to go down and put one through a wall or person and hit an unintended target. That could make a bad situation even worse I think.

I only carry JHPs, usually Speer GDHP (Gold Dots), Win Rangers, Rem Golden Sabre, or Fed Tactical (HST),.

I don't think I would ever carry FMJ in a carry gun unless it was all I had or that
was all that particular gun could eat.

-Mike

I have short barrel +p gold dots in my snubbie, and Federal Hydrashok in the S&W M&P.

I use hollowpoints only because they will be the best at neutralizing a human threat if on target.

my carry piece is loaded with black talons. But the first one is a Hydro shock.

Last edited:
I carry piece is loaded with black talons. But the first one is a Hydro shock.

why?

is there an advantage?

i read something a while ago on a guy that loaded a blank for his first round... that thread went south shortly after. [rofl] i think the dude was stirring the pot, but it was funny.

i'll have to try and find it now [laugh2]

why?

is there an advantage?

i read something a while ago on a guy that loaded a blank for his first round... that thread went south shortly after. [rofl] i think the dude was stirring the pot, but it was funny.

Just because I had a single and lonely hydro shock left over from a box of 50. So I loaded it last in the mag. Just because it was there. No advantage.

what about the defense attorney question?

I just wonder about the negative side of carrying 2 different types of Ammo, in a lethal force encounter. I think a lethal force encounter will bring undue scrutiny to the gun-owner (and hopefully the winner!). I cringe as I view an overzealous Prosecutor or Attorney, turn to the Jury and SAY- " Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, Joe Gun Owner, was out to kill somebody on that day, He carried a Loaded Firearm (God Help if it was Cocked and Locked), with a full magazine of Hollow-Point / Cop-Killer Bullets. But that wasn't enough, he carried other Bullets (FMJ) designed to penetrate Car Bodies and Barriers. He was out to Kill that Day, as evidenced by his extreme forethought and research - on How to Kill".

OH, And about BLACK TALONS ....The Prosecutor / Attorney SAYS- " Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, Joe Gun Owner, was carrying the EVIL BLACK TALONS. The BLACK TALONS were so Evil, Lethal and Inhumane, that various National News Outlets claimed they were Injurious even to Surgeons, trying to remove them from shooting victims (IF I Remeber 60 Minutes?). To the Jury, the BLACK TALONS were so Inhumane that their Manufacturer - Winchester removed them from the Market. (In their original format)

Think about the Other Side....The Opposition in the COURT or at the POLICE DEPARTMENT? Bad Guy is Dead (Hopefully), but Now you're on the Plate

IMO: Carry a good quality JHP made by one of the Big boys (No Cor-bons or reloads). Make sure it doesn't have a crazy name like Black Talon, Devastator, Instant Death or anything of the like. Might be wise to carry, what LE Agencies carry, then you can fall back on their research, selection and expertise.

There was a comedy bit by Adam Corolla back when he was the host of the LoveLine radio call in show. He's not a gun owner by any overt means, but he was describing, in his usual wiseass tone, what he'd load in a shotgun for home defense.

Going on his comedy basis of likely being intoxicated or just plain sleepy when a home defense panic set in, he starts with a blank. Then, rock salt, just in case it's a friendly that got mis-identified. By the third round, he reasoned, he's awake and means business - particularily because whoever he's shooting at hasn't crapped their pants and fled amidst a shower of rock salt - so the third and fourth rounds are good solid home defense rounds - 00 buck. The fifth round - a slug.

Just because I had a single and lonely hydro shock left over from a box of 50. So I loaded it last in the mag. Just because it was there. No advantage.

i hate bastard rounds.

Bang, drop the mag, load one round, BANG, drop the mag, load one round, BANG... -repeat until done [laugh]

I wonder if they make any ammo called MurderDeathKill. I'd buy it [laugh]

Yes, That would be great. In fact you should write that down on your MA License to Carry Firearms License Application, so that the Police Chief is well aware of it as well? Walk into Wallmart and ask if they have any of that MurderDeathKill Ammo, and watch the sales clerks run!

Planning to have a need to shoot through car bodies sounds like a free ticket to jail to me.The only guns I would even consider using FMJ ammo would be if I was carrying a mousegun and was worried about hitting the vitals.

I carry Gold Dot Hollow Points in all my J frame pocket guns. The only exception would be on a horrible winter day, lots of snow and heavy clothing on, I might carry Lead Semi-Wad Cutters.

In my Automatics I carry Silver Tips or Hydra Shocks, hollowpoints. If I'm carrying a .45 I will have one mag of FMJ with me...in case I need to punch through something

Planning to have a need to shoot through car bodies sounds like a free ticket to jail to me.The only guns I would even consider using FMJ ammo would be if I was carrying a mousegun and was worried about hitting the vitals.

I certainly never plan to shoot anything when Im CC'ing - but the reason I (we perhaps) CC is the one I cant think of...which is also why I had carried a few FMJ's

What do you run in your carry gun?

Ive read alot about people carrying a mix of FMJ's and JHP's, 2 FMJ's on top followed by JHP's etc.

What do you run and why?

I carry one FMJ in the pipe, one on the top of my mag followed by JHP's. I do alot of driving and figure if I should ever need to put a round either through my truck or into someone elses vehicle (call me crazy) a FMJ would do a better job of getting through...

I carry JHP only, .357 SIG DoubleTap 125 grain GDHP's in my Glocks, and Remington Golden Sabre +p in my 9mm because I happen to have a lot of it around.

A car won't do much of anything to stop a bullet, whether FMJ or JHP. The FBI test that most conventional JHP's are subjected to includes shooting through barriers and performing well.

I just wonder about the negative side of carrying 2 different types of Ammo, in a lethal force encounter. I think a lethal force encounter will bring undue scrutiny to the gun-owner (and hopefully the winner!). I cringe as I view an overzealous Prosecutor or Attorney, turn to the Jury and SAY- " Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, Joe Gun Owner, was out to kill somebody on that day, He carried a Loaded Firearm (God Help if it was Cocked and Locked), with a full magazine of Hollow-Point / Cop-Killer Bullets. But that wasn't enough, he carried other Bullets (FMJ) designed to penetrate Car Bodies and Barriers. He was out to Kill that Day, as evidenced by his extreme forethought and research - on How to Kill".

OH, And about BLACK TALONS ....The Prosecutor / Attorney SAYS- " Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, Joe Gun Owner, was carrying the EVIL BLACK TALONS. The BLACK TALONS were so Evil, Lethal and Inhumane, that various National News Outlets claimed they were Injurious even to Surgeons, trying to remove them from shooting victims (IF I Remeber 60 Minutes?). To the Jury, the BLACK TALONS were so Inhumane that their Manufacturer - Winchester removed them from the Market. (In their original format)

Think about the Other Side....The Opposition in the COURT or at the POLICE DEPARTMENT? Bad Guy is Dead (Hopefully), but Now you're on the Plate

IMO: Carry a good quality JHP made by one of the Big boys (No Cor-bons or reloads). Make sure it doesn't have a crazy name like Black Talon, Devastator, Instant Death or anything of the like. Might be wise to carry, what LE Agencies carry, then you can fall back on their research, selection and expertise.

This is BS.

In my semi autos I load Speer Gold Dots. All are 9x19, either 124s (M&P and 915) or 147s (M&P compact).

In my 637 I carry Buffalo Bore's 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point .38 Special +P. In my Model 65 I carry Remington's excellent R357M1 125 grain semi jacketed hollow point .357 Magnum, one of history's all-time best fight-stoppers. In my Model 29 and 629 I cary Hornady 180 grain .44 Special XTP load, though I am considering upgrading to Speer's Gold Dot Short Barrel 200 grain .44 Magnum load.

When I only have six shots, I want each one to hit as hard as it can within my ability to control them.

Where I live, the legality of the shoot does not hinge on BS emotional anti-gun crap and if I am cleared in the criminal matter I am also given legal immunity in civil court.

Jose, Not BS. Just the Truth.
According to whom? Not Ayoob or any of the attorneys I have spoken locally.
By the Way have you ever been Questioned, under Pains and Penalties of Perjury? Questioned on the Record, over a "Shooting" in a Legal Proceeding? I HAVE. Not BS!
What does that have to do with any of what we are talking about?
Do You Really Want to Be " THAT GUY" ?????
Spare me........

I carry Winchester Ranger JHP in my G22 on duty and my G27 offduty. The G22 because the department pays for them so they get to pick. The G27 because I bought some at a gun show.

Carry a good quality JHP made by one of the Big boys (No Cor-bons or reloads). Make sure it doesn't have a crazy name like Black Talon, Devastator, Instant Death or anything of the like.

I'm ordering some Fluffy Pink Bunny Bulletts tomorrow. [laugh]

What's wrong with Corbon?

It sounds evil in DPS' fantasy world of court room trials.

Hell, sometimes I carry ammo made by BUFFALO BORE!! [shocked]

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, the defendant here is so malicious and eveil that he bough ammo powerful enough to KILL A BUFFALO and shot my client with it!"

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom