Carry a P22?

I have a few carry guns but they are getting beat up at my job What I want to know is would any of you guys carry or do carry a walther p22 I have one that is a great shooter almost no jams but the gun is beat up as far as finish goes. and its was cheap so if it gets damaged no worry.

The only reason I've thought about getting one to carry is for coyotes, using "quiet" ammo. They like to follow me and the dog but I live in a condo complex so quiet is good. I would not want to defend myself from a person with ANY .22 though.

I have a few carry guns but they are getting beat up at my job What I want to know is would any of you guys carry or do carry a walther p22 I have one that is a great shooter almost no jams but the gun is beat up as far as finish goes. and its was cheap so if it gets damaged no worry.

Do you really want to carry a 22 for your self-defense carry? I wouldn't, but if you feel comfortable with it, that's your call. My gun's finish also gets beat up/dirty in my line of work. It won't look pretty for long (holster wear, finish worn off in places) but as long as it's functional, who cares? It's a carry gun, not a museum piece.

The only reason I've thought about getting one to carry is for coyotes, using "quiet" ammo. They like to follow me and the dog but I live in a condo complex so quiet is good. I would not want to defend myself from a person with ANY .22 though.

+1 I wouldn't want to use 22 as personal protection, but if its a choice between the p22 and nothing, then obviously carry the p22

Do you really want to carry a 22 for your self-defense carry? I wouldn't, but if you feel comfortable with it, that's your call. My gun's finish also gets beat up/dirty in my line of work. It won't look pretty for long (holster wear, finish worn off in places) but as long as it's functional, who cares? It's a carry gun, not a museum piece.

me too. the nylon speedoes really do a number on the nickle-plated finish, w / matching pinky ring

i wouldnt carry the P22 for PD,..they are notorious for jamming when ever they feel like it. do you really want to put your life in the hands of a $300 plinker? i wouldnt! Keep the P22 for your novice friends, and as a plinker. and get a wheel gun for your PD or even a semi-auto thats has proven reliablity. oh and if you have to i guess at least use CCI stingers for a lil more velocity..but i think those arent compatible with the P22 ive heard.

Last edited:
1) I wouldn't carry a .22lr. I prefer at least .38Spcl or 9mm.

2) "Almost no jams" isn't good enough to bet my life on. I've never seen a reliable P22. YMMV.

1) I wouldn't carry a .22lr. I prefer at least .38Spcl or 9mm.

2) "Almost no jams" isn't good enough to bet my life on. I've never seen a reliable P22. YMMV.

I shot the p22 today I put a whole 525 round box of remington golden bullets threw it with only two jams and that was around 400 rounds or so but I might just stick with my airweight

I actually pocket carried mine acouple times this weekend, only because it was the only pistol I brought with me and I kinda wanted to try out my new pocket holster.

I can say that it carried quite comfortably.

Your carry gun isn't supposed to be a museum piece. If it's getting beat up a little bit, that's how it's supposed to be,

It's better than nothing but with stuff like j-frames and the walther PPS being out there, I find it hard to justify carrying a P22, unless you have some kind of medical infirmity that prevents you from safely firing a normal caliber handgun.

-Mike

I shot the p22 today I put a whole 525 round box of remington golden bullets threw it with only two jams and that was around 400 rounds or so but I might just stick with my airweight

Thats 1/200 jams, or about .5%. Why would you carry a weapon that will jam at all?? [shocked]

I carry a Taurus 22Mag 2" revolver as a summer gun. Don't sell it short. I carries quite a wallop.

Bob

Walther is selling a .380 that is just a tad larger than the P22, so you might want to consider that an option. A .22 isn't ideal for self defense, but if it's all you have then your choices are with what you have.

I carry my P22 all the time.. I don't know why so many people knock carrying a 22.. you have so much more muzzle control with a 22 than the typical 40 or 45.. with a 22 you can maintain sight of your target and unload all rounds without losing sight of your target.. I'm pretty sure your target is gonna be down if you unload at center mast.. IMHO

Pantheramrs,

I hope you are joking. There are NO magic bullets out there. People have been known to absorb numerous .45 or 9mm caliber hits and still keep on coming, or conversely, being hit by a single .25 caliber bullet and falling dead.
Assuming that a certain number of hits from a certain caliber will stop a deadly threat is a recipe for disaster. "Pretty sure" ain't gonna cut when your or somebody you care about life is on the line.
As for carrying Walther P22 - absolute NOT! Without getting into the whole caliber debate, I don't feel that the gun itself is rugged / reliable enough for duty. While practicing on the range with my P22, I had the slide fly forward off the gun and land on the ground twice, because my support side thumb pushed down the takedown button on the side of the frame because of my grip - two thumbs forward.
If you really want something pocketable, get a J-Frame or something else that was not designed to be a range/training pistol.

I carry my P22 all the time.. I don't know why so many people knock carrying a 22.. you have so much more muzzle control with a 22 than the typical 40 or 45.. with a 22 you can maintain sight of your target and unload all rounds without losing sight of your target.. I'm pretty sure your target is gonna be down if you unload at center mast.. IMHO

As for carrying Walther P22 - absolute NOT! Without getting into the whole caliber debate, I don't feel that the gun itself is rugged / reliable enough for duty.
Yeah, not about caliber at all for me... Just a function of the number of times I've pulled the trigger and had to stop to clear a FTF usually...

Particularly with 22, I need that second shot[wink]

You run into that cliche - "something is better than nothing", but that's as far as it goes with carrying a .22LR. Do some real research - look into possibly unconsidered factors such as adrenaline, drug usage, clothing, or body mass of your attacker. Companies like Hornady are not researching, investing in and marketing personal defense ammunition just for the hype and profit. There's real research that even rounds as powerful as 9mm can be hung up and rendered less effective by something as simple as clothing. Thinking that you will have magic powers to unload your mag into someone's face, CNS or a shot to the temple is risky. Thinking that center mass shots will dispatch your attacker - even with high energy 22LR like CCI is not only risky, but slightly insane...

Ultimately, you are talking about your life here - not convenience of how wonderful your carry piece feels in your pocket, or how it rarely jams. Carrying a 22LR may indeed be better than carrying nothing, but you increase your odds of being killed in a confrontation exponentially. Threat ending depends on many factors - namely training, but secondarily weapon and ammunition selection. Your goal in a deadly confrontation is to end the threat with as much force as possible - quickly, efficiently, effectively and then get away, not to spray .22's into your target, or think that you're as highly skilled as Mossad, (who made killing with a .22 an art form).

The act of carrying a concealed weapon comes with a measure of responsibility. Part of that responsibility is ensuring that you're as properly trained and equipped as possible. Carrying a Walther P22 says neither in my book....[thinking]

10 headshots has got to hurt though.[grin]

There is a reason that the skull is sometimes referred to as the cranial vault. More than a few .22lr have bounced off a skull, or skittered around it under the skin.

Thanks, but I'll use a real caliber. There is a reason that police agencies use 9 mm and up.

The act of carrying a concealed weapon comes with a measure of responsibility. Part of that responsibility is ensuring that you're as properly trained and equipped as possible. Carrying a Walther P22 says neither in my book....[thinking]

dude, easy.

provided that

A.) your P-22 has proven to be reliable

and

B.) you can't reasonably carry something better

there is nothing wrong with doing so. people will make the same remarks about 9MM, .40 or anything else the deem not to be effective enough.

you should really do some research on how many people .22's have killed. but it's not about killing, is it? it's about stopping the threat. If your threat didn't at least slow down with 10 rds of .22 in thier upper body, then you are doing something wrong... aka, you prob never should have drawn in the first place, because sometimes running is just a better choice. but, if I need to shoot and run, I am betting that those 10 rds of .22 are going to cramp my attackers style.

there are about 100 scenarios where carrying a P-22 is about worthless, and might actually make things worse for you.

there are prob another 100 scenarios where it could save your life.

the single most important aspect of CCing is not the tools you carry in your pocket or on your hip, it's the tool you carry in between your ears.

with all that said, a few caveats...

I don't carry my P22 frequently. more often than not, it's the XD-40sc. really, they are about the same profile size, the XD is just bulkier.

I would never carry anything but a spotlessy cleaned and lubed P22. they do get real finicky when dirty.

I would never carry the P22 with "value pack" ammo.

I have broken all of the above rules at least once. Really, something is better than nothing. or why else would some of us carry knives when that's all we can?

btw, I find even the 3.4" P-22's to be stupid accurate. last week I was hitting clays at 75yds 40% of the time, and the other 55% of shots were falling within 6", with 5% being wild but still in a "man sized" area.

Back
Top Bottom