• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cargo Pocket Carry: Whats the secret?

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
I really want to like cargo pocket carry because I wouldn’t lose on of my regular pockets for storage but the flopping back and forth when I walk is annoying.

I am carrying a Ruger LCR in a DeSantis sticky holster.

Would a cargo pocket holster holster make a difference?

What’s your secret?

Thanks,

Bob

Carry in your front pocket and move your other stuff around into the cargo pockets.
The right holster helps, but I've tried several and in the end went to this.
Even when it carries okay (not flopping around or sagging) I found accessing it harder & slower than in my front pocket, and I've got long arms. Maybe if I were Clyde...

I tried cargo pocket carry but even a small gun flopped around too much. I gave up. I carry in a holster and put my shirt over it.

That’s what I generally do for my EDC (M&P Shield 45)

Carry in your front pocket and move your other stuff around into the cargo pockets.

That’s what I am doing for the quick errands when just want to run out for something.

Bob

Really hard to retain a gun in a cargo pocket. Probably stupidest place for a pistol IMO, next to ankle carry. If someone gets you in just about any hold you can't reach it. If you lose use of an arm you're not getting it out with a weak hand easily. You need to conceal weapons in your workspace, where your arms are strong.

Really hard to retain a gun in a cargo pocket. Probably stupidest place for a pistol IMO, next to ankle carry. If someone gets you in just about any hold you can't reach it. If you lose use of an arm you're not getting it out with a weak hand easily. You need to conceal weapons in your workspace, where your arms are strong.

And learn to fight without a gun.

I have some 5.11 cargo pants with a hidden pocket behind the front pocket but don't find it's better than a single pocket. Maybe worse since you might get confused trying to pull it out. Unless you wanted to put it there and zipper it but I don't see the point of that.

I carried a 642 in cargo shorts had a pocket holster that I put Velcro on and a piece on the inside of the cargo short pocket. Worked pretty well I was doing this as I was wearing a tool belt that covered my front pockets.
Doing electrical work in the ghetto 😳

Pocket carry is already sort of shitty, so if youre going to do it at least go with the best pocket (hip) and stash your keys in the cargo pocket. Carry somewhere on your belt if at all possible.

I guess I’m the only one who likes carrying in the cargo pocket. Carry a P3AT in an Uncle Mikes holster. Practice drawing from the pocket and can do it pretty well. I find it a perfectly good way to carry.

I guess I’m the only one who likes carrying in the cargo pocket.
Nope. I've carried a S&W J-Frame 638 in a DeSantis Nemesis every day since 2005 as a backup and/or primary.
Most days lately front/right pocket-carry in cargo shorts, some days in jeans and some days in Dickies work pants.
It has been the most versatile and dependable carry method I've ever used. (and I've used everything but a shoulder harness. Lol)

As far as 'Concealed Carry', it is hard to beat a good pocket holster.

Also: The funny thing about holsters are; no matter how well they come recommended, only YOU can determine if it 'works' for you...

The nemesis is inexpensive and I can whole-heartedly recommend it. Get one and see...
~Enbloc

Last edited:
I really want to like cargo pocket carry because I wouldn’t lose one of my regular pockets for storage...
Your looking at it all wrong. Put your roscoe in your strong side front pocket.
Out of all the other things you carry on your person, YOUR FIREARM should be your
FIRST/LAST/AND ONLY thought. Everything else is ancillary.

~Enbloc

Last edited:
Pocket carry is already sort of shitty, so if youre going to do it at least go with the best pocket (hip) and stash your keys in the cargo pocket. Carry somewhere on your belt if at all possible.

Not quite, depending on what "pockets" we're talking about here. In some circumstances pocket carry allows you to have your hand on a gun without anyone else knowing that you have a hand on a gun.... you can't get that any other way. If we're talking about stupid shit like jeans pockets, then yeah, those are terrible. Anyone but a skinny hipster type is never going to be able to get into the pocket quickly while seated.... on the other hand if we're talking dress pants, or a coat with pockets, whole different ballgame.

Not quite, depending on what "pockets" we're talking about here. In some circumstances pocket carry allows you to have your hand on a gun without anyone else knowing that you have a hand on a gun.... you can't get that any other way.

Which is why I chose a revolver for pocket carry.

If we're talking about stupid shit like jeans pockets, then yeah, those are terrible. Anyone but a skinny hipster type is never going to be able to get into the pocket quickly while seated.... on the other hand if we're talking dress pants, or a coat with pockets, whole different ballgame.

Absolutely, cargo pocket carry solves those problems. That’s why I am trying to get the cargo pocket carry to work. I really want to like it but I haven’t quite figured it out for me.

My normal carry is OWB and I just leave my shirt untucked but sometimes I’m lazy and just want to toss the revolver in my pocket when I have to run a quick errand.

Bob

The secret is " don't carry your gun" in a cargo pocket.

It is not easily accessible having to stoop to reach for it and puts you at an automatic disadvantage trying to pull a gun from one.
The only things I've ever carried in cargo pockets while walking anywhere or working were gloves, an extra pair of socks, an extra ski cap, a pair of safety glasses or maybe a folded map.

The only thing worse than carrying a gun in a cargo pocket is carrying a gun in an ankle holster.

My normal carry is OWB and I just leave my shirt untucked but sometimes I’m lazy and just want to toss the revolver in my pocket when I have to run a quick errand.

I've read this a few times in this thread and I'm confused. What is it about putting on an IWB/OWB holster that takes so much time? Is it because you have to unweave your belt to get it through the loops of the holster?

Same here - most IWB holsters have j-clips, so really you just "insert" the holster into the space between your pants and underpants and you are G2G.

Def. not knocking pocket carry - I do it with LCP/Desantis for years.

I've read this a few times in this thread and I'm confused. What is it about putting on an IWB/OWB holster that takes so much time? Is it because you have to unweave your belt to get it through the loops of the holster?

Back
Top Bottom