Cargo Pocket Carry: Whats the secret?

The secret is " don't carry your gun" in a cargo pocket.

It is not easily accessible having to stoop to reach for it and puts you at an automatic disadvantage trying to pull a gun from one.
The only things I've ever carried in cargo pockets while walking anywhere or working were gloves, an extra pair of socks, an extra ski cap, a pair of safety glasses or maybe a folded map.

The only thing worse than carrying a gun in a cargo pocket is carrying a gun in an ankle holster.
This. Those 'Cargo Pockets' aren't for carrying Cargo...
Heaviest thing I put in them is a bandana. Maybe a couple of those full-page receipt print outs.

Also: Remove any and all Werther's Originals before running through the wash.
The smell attracts elderly women...
1595174855507.png

Also: Remove any and all Werther's Originals before running through the wash.
The smell attracts elderly women...

I mean, if that's what you're into...

Below a certain size, a weighty object just can't go in those things. Early in my own carry journey, I experimented with cargo pocket carry and decided it wasn't for me. It made a difference, though, if the pocket was full of something besides the gun. Like a backing piece made of closed cell foam or something.

I've read this a few times in this thread and I'm confused. What is it about putting on an IWB/OWB holster that takes so much time? Is it because you have to unweave your belt to get it through the loops of the holster?
IWB carry gets hot and uncomfortable sometimes. OWB is a pain because I'd need a shirt two sizes up from my usual to hide the gun. Pocket carry is really easy, comfortable, and convenient.

I was coming here to say the secret to pocket carry is not to pocket carry especially on the lower leg. I’m glad I have been healthily beat to the point.
Truth. I'd rather use a drop-leg full cased flap holster than a ccw in the cargo pocket.

1595175709814.png

Ever do deadlifts? There's this position, thoracic extension the docs call it. I call it 'the deadlift pose' or 'showing the judges'. Your body is strongest when you're in this position. The key to winning a fight fast is being in this position while preventing your opponent from doing the same. When your spine is curved oddly you're much more vulnerable. You're easier to throw or knock out. If you reach for a cargo pocket or ankle piece you break your structure, fold your lungs. Can you draw from a cargo pocket while on the move? Can you defend a bat swing with one arm and draw one handed at the same time?

Or let me put it this way: Do the tueller drill from IWB and then cargo carry and compare your times. An extra half a second of draw time extends your safety range from 20 feet to 30.

There is no great way to do it. I don’t even like keeping a spare mag in a cargo pocket. It’s just too heavy even with a small gun to be comfortable.

I keep a spare in the cargo pocket or a little pocket behind the cargo pocket on my shorts that seems meant for a knife or flashlight or something. Works ok but sometimes it can get jammed on stuff when I sit down or flop around. Plus there is no keeping it in position in the cargo pocket so when you grab it the end you grab is random.

As Uzi2 said. Now I wear cargo pants almost all the time around the farm, and did when I was in firearms retail. My favorite brand is Tru-Spec because it has more pockets, and they are more secure, than other brands. So in the shop one cargo pocket would go my illuminated magnifier, tape measure, and phone, and in the other my wallet, car keys and handkerchief. Now I use the cargo pockets to hold various tools and parts when I'm rearranging fences or building stuff. CCW either on belt or in a Sticky Holster in the front pocket, where it can't move, is in a comfortable spot, and is easy to draw.

I hate shit in my pockets. I love the Technic clips. They make them for most carry guns. A lot of guys don't feel comfortable without a holster. But if it has a safety and you're fine without a holster it's the way to go in my opinion. Every once in a while I'll do the O-shit and reach down to touch my side to make sure it's still there. They're that comfortable.

IWB carry gets hot and uncomfortable sometimes. OWB is a pain because I'd need a shirt two sizes up from my usual to hide the gun. Pocket carry is really easy, comfortable, and convenient.
This. Had the 43x in my pocket tonight. like it wasn’t even there.

Back
Top Bottom