Captain freed

I heard on the news that these merchant ships are not properly armed because the shipping companies cut corners where they can. Apparently it costs LESS to pay ransoms.

There is a simple way of dealing with that. Allow the crew to arm themselves as they please. I'm willing to bet that most American crew aboard cargo ships would be willing (and happy) to pay for and bring their own firearms aboard if allowed to do so. There's no need for the shipping companies themselves to pay money to arm them.

One of them is still alive and could face trial and subsequent prison in the USA....He'll likely have a better life in the pokey. I may seem like a barbarian, but my gut opinion is that the remaining pirate aboard the US Navy ship should have had one put behind his ear and thrown overboard... It's all these savages seem to understand...

I'd like to think it was 3 snipers with 3 dead pirates. if you look at the pics of the lifeboat, there isn't enough room for one pirate to show himself thru the open doorway; let alone 3.

for my money, and the Navy ( God bless them) isn't saying this...the most likely scenerio is:....3-4 seals approach the boat, toss a flash/bang into it, then open fire on anyone who isn't in restraints....hence 3 dead pirates.

I Love the Seals!!!

when can we finally allow shipmates to be trained to use weapons such as firearms? SOunds like it is about time to get it to happen.

No, it's guns that are the problem. If we'd only make it illegal for pirates to have guns, things like this would never happen, just like if we made it illegal for felons to have guns, gangbangers wouldn't kill people. Oh, wait.

I could give a f*ck what the laws were. If i was in that line of business, no way I'm sailing around those waters without arms. Ya, they really need to start arming and training the crews or hire competent security teams to accompany the shipments.

Four 50's on each Merchant ship...two in front, two in the stern...

Pirates = no problem!

my wife...." why aren't these a**h***s armed?"
me:" this is why I love you"

I'd like to think it was 3 snipers with 3 dead pirates. if you look at the pics of the lifeboat, there isn't enough room for one pirate to show himself thru the open doorway; let alone 3.

for my money, and the Navy ( God bless them) isn't saying this...the most likely scenerio is:....3-4 seals approach the boat, toss a flash/bang into it, then open fire on anyone who isn't in restraints....hence 3 dead pirates.

I Love the Seals!!!

One was in the wheel house, the other two were showing themselves in some way. The news conference is still on. Check it out. I see your point though.

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, said that the killing of the three pirates was "a painful experience."

"This is unfortunate action and our friends should have done more to kill the captain before they were killed. This will be a good lesson for us," Habeb told the AP from one of Somalia's piracy hubs.

One was in the wheel house, the other two were showing themselves in some way. The news conference is still on. Check it out. I see your point though.

for my money, it was a Seal extraction team....the US Navy will never admit how it was actually accomplished.

not that I blame them [wink]

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, said that the killing of the three pirates was "a painful experience."

"This is unfortunate action and our friends should have done more to kill the captain before they were killed. This will be a good lesson for us," Habeb told the AP from one of Somalia's piracy hubs.

f*** them!

One of them is still alive and could face trial and subsequent prison in the USA....He'll likely have a better life in the pokey. I may seem like a barbarian, but my gut opinion is that the remaining pirate aboard the US Navy ship should have had one put behind his ear and thrown overboard... It's all these savages seem to understand...

yardarm-2.jpg

+

o_donoghues_noose.jpg

ABFT!!! Way to go SEALs. Glad to see they finally were allowed to do their jobs. Captain Phillips deserves a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

I believe the admiral in Bahrain said that the lifeboat was only 25 meters to the stern of the Bainbridge. That the three pirates exposed themselves at one time.

Remember, guns don't kill pirates, snipers do.

That was a big mistake. Before they pulled this stunt it seemed like the world was pretty much willing to just pay the ransoms and put up with their crap. So they got owned by a bunch of American Merchant Seamen - took the captain hostage (thinking they could still make something out of this) - and now they got (seriously) owned again.

So now they come out and say " we should have done more to kill the captain" - that was a BIG mistake.

They have just admitted to being murderers and not just pirates who are out to make a little bit of money.

I predict this will not go good for them in the end. It's like the 9/11 thing and Flight 93. After that every airline passenger will at least run the though thru their head: " if I get hijacked - I am going to die anyway - might as well take them with me"..

Merchant seaman all over the world have to be thinking the same thing.

Plus they just gave the world the excuse it needs to go take out the pirate on-shore bases with some sort of military operation.

Obama of course won't approve it. But all you need is some un-acknowledge night time raid by a SEAL team and then just deny the whole thing.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the nighttime raid on the terrorist base in the Libyan desert in that movie Patriot Games.

Last edited:
This is the best news I have read all week, the only way this could have ended better is if they killed more pirates.

I know I am raising a glass to Capt. Phillips and the Navy [cheers]

I heard Somalia gets 90% of their guns from the United States. We need stricter gun control to stop the violence. Wait... that's Mexico, not Somalia... whatever. You get my point.

The reason they arent armed is not because of cutting corners...it is simply illegal for ships to be armed in certain ports and therefore they are restricted. The pirates know this...

Breaking News:
Obama has issued an apology to the Somali government for the death of their three martyrs and has instructed his AG, Holder-whats-his-name, to investigate and charge the US Navy with murder for killing the poor privateers.[rofl]

Hell I'd work for food and short cash if they just let me sit on deck with a mounted 50 cal and a SAW in my lap. I'd have a blast out there cutting those skinnies in half as they approached. Does anyone have a picture of what they might think these boats looked like? I'm having a hell of a time picturing how these guys may have been picked off. From the sound of it, it looks like 30 yard shots were landed on these scum bags from up top.

The reason they arent armed is not because of cutting corners...it is simply illegal for ships to be armed in certain ports and therefore they are restricted. The pirates know this...
The feds could solve this instantly by demanding clearance for armed crews from countries out ships dock in. You don't think the US allows other nations to get away with "no armed US air marshals on flights arriving from the US" do you:). (but, I don't think the US govt obtained such clearance for FFDOs).

Of course, with the obsession the govt has with LEO status, you're more likely to see a sea marshals program than demanding nations receiving US flagged ships allow them to arrived with an armed crew.

Back
Top Bottom