Can't hit anything with my G17. Should I modify it?

They make connectors in the 5 lb range, too. My Gen2 came with that shit ass NY trigger. I knew I didn't want a hair trigger so I went with the 5 lb one and it feels great. The moral here is you can upgrade the trigger bar without going too light.

How come nobody recommended dry fire? I found the Glock trigger break to be "weird" compared to my other semis. A few evenings of shooting the bad guys on TV and I figured out how it liked to be caressed. Give that a shot; it's free.

The grip angle of the glock was intentionally designed to hold the front sight high, so that when Glock users shot the gun, it would bring the sights into alignment when they flinched. The grip angle also naturally bring the front sight into alignment when the gun is held sideways and punched out while shooting. Glock then marketed this gun to LEOs, Tactical timmays and gangbangers....pure genius

He has a G17, not a Glock fo'tay... [smile]

OP, it's you. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, then dry fire some more. Glocks shoot differently than other guns for a lot of people. I've found a lot of new Glock shooters have a "front sight high" natural grip, and they tend to push low/left due to flinching. I certainly wouldn't advocate completely destroying the value of a (for you MA guys) $750 gun by burning the crap out of it with a soldering iron. Grip tape does the same thing, but neither will solve your issue. You could try modifying the trigger for a lighter pull, but again, it's still you.

Focus on keeping the sight on target when dry firing. Keep the meat of your booger hook off of the right side of the frame -- the only part you want in contact is the pad of your finger on the trigger (not the last joint). Imagine that you're trying to push the trigger along a linear path in line with the bore axis. Straight back. You don't want to pull the trigger along the natural line your finger wants to move, which would be back/right towards your palm. Don't limp wrist it. Do this 1-2000 times in your living room while watching TV or something. I bet your groups will improve next time you go to the range.

I'd start with the cheapest advise given. Dry fire the piss out of it. Or anything for that matter. Hone those skillz...

Like toddubya mentioned mentioned, dry fire helped me immensely. Not just with sight picture and alignment but also with reloads and malfunctions.

Last edited:
To correct some misconceptions here... the 3.5 lbs connector does not result in a 3.5 lbs trigger. Here is a useful chart that shows the combinations:

3815d1359930976-connector-comparison-test-trigger-pull-weight-chart.jpg

To correct some misconceptions here... the 3.5 lbs connector does not result in a 3.5 lbs trigger. Here is a useful chart that shows the combinations:

3815d1359930976-connector-comparison-test-trigger-pull-weight-chart.jpg

I haveno clue what the ghost connector does to final trigger pull, but in my experience it lowers the pull and makes it more difficult to ride the reset for f/u shots. Im not knocking the ghost connecter in general...it has a place and for someone who laready shoots a glock well it can probably make them better. However I dont see any mechanical device as being a solution for new shooters or those shooting a new firearm.

im not speaking as a pro shooter. Im probably thr most average shot u can find. However, in the past Ive been better served by persistent practice and dry fire than any manipulations of the gun itself. Once i can shoot it well then Im allowed to tinker w it.

The problem is the balance and proper grip of the Glock series is different from the 92 series you are used to. Hold out your firing hand and place the pistol into it using the non-firing hand. Do this in such a way that the tang presses hard against the web of your firing hand. You must hold the gun as high to the slide/barrel as you can. Make sure you use a tight push/pull grip with both hands. If you are ever around Braintree on Friday nights I could demonstrate this to you in about 30 seconds. This demonstrates it fairly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy00qD4ivgA

The problem is the balance and proper grip of the Glock series is different from the 92 series you are used to. Hold out your firing hand and place the pistol into it using the non-firing hand. Do this in such a way that the tang presses hard against the web of your firing hand. You must hold the gun as high to the slide/barrel as you can. Make sure you use a tight push/pull grip with both hands. If you are ever around Braintree on Friday nights I could demonstrate this to you in about 30 seconds. This demonstrates it fairly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy00qD4ivgA

Lots of bad info in that video. You don't want to pull back with your left hand, why would you pull in the direction the gun wants to go? Push out with both arms. Second, you want to grip the gun as hard as you can with both hands with out causing termors. 60/40 is crap. And third, his left hand is to low.
You can get away with poor form when shooting girl rounds, but when you shoot larger calibers, it all falls apart. When people complain they can't shoot a 40 or 45 as fast an accurately as a 9, this is why.

Another vote that it's the grip angle and you just need to shoot that gun more. The grip angle is the very reason I ended up with the M&P. My wrist does not like the grip angle of the Glock, which is a shame because the Glock has a nicer trigger. The reset on M&Ps sucks not matter what you do to it.

The 25 cent trigger job didn't really lighten the pull on my Glocks, but it removed some of the grittyness. It was very easy to do.

I haveno clue what the ghost connector does to final trigger pull, but in my experience it lowers the pull and makes it more difficult to ride the reset for f/u shots. Im not knocking the ghost connecter in general...it has a place and for someone who laready shoots a glock well it can probably make them better. However I dont see any mechanical device as being a solution for new shooters or those shooting a new firearm.

im not speaking as a pro shooter. Im probably thr most average shot u can find. However, in the past Ive been better served by persistent practice and dry fire than any manipulations of the gun itself. Once i can shoot it well then Im allowed to tinker w it.

I have ghost in an SR9c, not a glock, but on mine it shortened reset considerably. I installed the one that you have to file to fit yourself though, I dunno about those universal ones. Also, I'm a fan of these kits but I'd never recommend installing one with the intended purpose of shooting the gun accurately to begin with. Just for ease of shooting and faster shooting etc. A bit more advanced stuff. I like my guns fairly light triggered, but I can still shoot my buddy's stock Shield just fine.

Last edited:
Check the trigger pull weight. I had a G17 that was up in the 8lb range somewhere. I replaced the trigger (thanks, Attila) with a lighter one and my groups improved.

Grip angle is bullshit. Shooting is the same no matter what you have in your hand. Manipulating the trigger while maintaining sight alignment on the target until the shot breaks. Everything else is simply excuses.

I can make 3-4" groups at 20 yrds with a 92FS or M&P9 using the fundamentals (it's tough but I've done it). My problem is my G17 Gen4 (I didn't always reside in MA). I can't make any decent groups. I'm just peppering my target even at close ranges. I noticed even when dry firing I pull my shots towards either hand I'm using (a rest helps a bit). Am I totally to blame or can I blame the gun this time? My sights are solid FYI. Should I have trigger work done to it? Also should I stipple it? I'm adjusting my grip with every shot. The RTF isn't very rough IMO. The only reason I'm reluctant to modify it is because I've realized it's something to value in its stock form according to everyone in MA who wants to buy it. I'm not planning on getting rid if it but that can change with time and I know how custom guns aren't generally desired or transferable. But I really want this gun to work for me. As always thx NES for the great advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you go to the range, do you typically only bring a gun, maybe two, or do you usually empty the safe to shoot a little of everything?

While the latter is certainly a lot of fun, it can also make it tough to improve accuracy with any of them. As mentioned by others, every gun feels and shoots differently and it is important to get a lot of reps in with a single gun as opposed to the same number of reps across them all. I would give this some consideration and instead of spending the money on a gunsmith, buy some extra ammo and commit to several range sessions with just the Glock.

It is important that you make sure these range trips allow you enough time to work on shooting as opposed to a quick session to throw some lead down range. Also, either go by yourself or with an experienced shooter as the last thing you need to worry about when you are working with the Glock is a friend that is new to shooting.

Focus on the basics, sight picture, grip etc and if you still feel like you can't shoot it after all that, find something that you shoot better and buy it. Good luck.

The 25 cent trigger job didn't really lighten the pull on my Glocks, but it removed some of the grittyness. It was very easy to do.

Seems to take off about a half pound....but definately removes any grittiness and takeup. I don't bother with connectors and crap, I like the trigger this way on my range guns. And it cost 0 dollars.

Out of all guns I shoot the block best cause I'm used to it the most. From my experience their triggers are very similar model to model and have nice reset you can feel.

Last edited:
Grip angle is bullshit. Shooting is the same no matter what you have in your hand. Manipulating the trigger while maintaining sight alignment on the target until the shot breaks. Everything else is simply excuses.

Exactly. If your fundamentals are solid, you should be able to shoot groups while holding the gun upside down and standing on one foot.

Shoot the 17 more. Shoot it often. Practice practice practice.

I've heard how some Glock owners hate the 26 without the "pinky extension". So did I, at first, then I practiced. And I mean constantly. I practiced (still do) every other day or so. With the G26 (no extension) and the G22

And now? Dead accurate with both. And I'm talking EXTREMELY accurate, even at rapid fire.

Like anything, it's all in the practice. Don't get discouraged, cuz THAT will affect you more than anything (the confidence thing). Why do major league hitters go into dreadful slumps? (other than that it might be a "testing month" for PEDs? [wink] ).. They still know how to do everything properly, physically, but the brain thing kicks in and messes them up.

Shoot the piss out of it and get your confidence squared away. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom