Can't hit anything with my G17. Should I modify it?

I can make 3-4" groups at 20 yrds with a 92FS or M&P9 using the fundamentals (it's tough but I've done it). My problem is my G17 Gen4 (I didn't always reside in MA). I can't make any decent groups. I'm just peppering my target even at close ranges. I noticed even when dry firing I pull my shots towards either hand I'm using (a rest helps a bit). Am I totally to blame or can I blame the gun this time? My sights are solid FYI. Should I have trigger work done to it? Also should I stipple it? I'm adjusting my grip with every shot. The RTF isn't very rough IMO. The only reason I'm reluctant to modify it is because I've realized it's something to value in its stock form according to everyone in MA who wants to buy it. I'm not planning on getting rid if it but that can change with time and I know how custom guns aren't generally desired or transferable. But I really want this gun to work for me. As always thx NES for the great advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 92fs is a completely different gun as the trigger is a DA/SA and shooting a single action trigger will almost always yield increased accuracy. It is interesting that the M&P gives you much tighter groups but as they say, different people shoot different guns better. I know many people that shoot glocks very accurately and I can shoot groups a couple inches wide from 30ft (a much shorter distance but I dont consider myself a crack shot.) Im sure you could sell the gun for a profit here in the state, but I would recommend getting a ghost inc trigger bar for 20-25 bucks on amazon/ebay at 3.5 pounds and see if that helps. I have a ghost inc ultimate (middle of the line) trigger and I love it. Throw some polish on the trigger bar from time to time and it makes the gun a breeze to shoot. Good luck and if you wanna sell that gen 4 for $1 Ill take it [wink]

My groups improved when I put the medium blackstrap on. Just a suggestion if you haven't tried seeing the difference they may make.

have a glockhead shoot the gun to be sure its you.

if the problem is you then call 911 or go to nearest ER because inability to shoot a glock is a clinical indicator of acute neurologic dysfunction.

Besides practice, the most effective and easy modification I made with my Glock was dropping in a 3.5lbs Ghost Connector. Lessened the trigger pull pressure, and thus the anticipation. Also gives a nice clean and smooth break.

3.5 lb ghost connector might be fine for a comp or range gun, but having shot under stress I can confidently say I would NOT want a 3.5lb trigger if my HR goes >100.

maybe some people keep fine motor skills at 100% when nervous but for most people forget about it.

Everyone is bringing up the ghost connector. Must be good, although I wanted to eventually gain enough confidence to use it as a HD gun but that weight me be a problem. I'll look into it. I haven't measure my trigger but it's defiantly in the 7lbs + range as it's the heaviest trigger in my collection to include the surplus.

I don't shoot my block 21 too well either. Too damn big for my hand. I can barely get the pad of my finger on the trigger and it usually results in my pushing it left as I have to apply leftward pressure to keep my finger on the trigger.

Need to sell it and get a Block 21 SF instead.

Standard glock triggers are excellent for 99% of shooting.

"Fixing" ones shooting with a 3.5lb connector is no different than going from a 10 -> 20 rd magazine to hit the target better....something is fundamentally wrong and modifying the gun is NOT the answer.

Standard glock triggers are excellent for 99% of shooting.

"Fixing" ones shooting with a 3.5lb connector is no different than going from a 10 -> 20 rd magazine to hit the target better....something is fundamentally wrong and modifying the gun is NOT the answer.

Train more, I get it.

It took me some time to be accurate with a revolver, i know its not the same thing as with what you have, but the problems the same,

Each gun has its own way it wants to be shot to be accurate, some guns have different sights so it takes time to adjust your self to where the sweet spot is,

then theres the difference in the grip and trigger, it may take some time to get used to it and how to hold it, so dont give up just yet

One thing I can think of if you are all over the place, do you put your support hand thumb against the side of the pistol with any pressure? If so, you might be squeezing it as you pull the trigger. Just a thought.

Everyone is bringing up the ghost connector.

Not me. It turned my trigger into mush. I prefer a touch of resistance before the break. Ended up going back to stock and replacing 2 of 3 springs with a lightening kit. I forget what the one I replaced back to the stock one but it made it too light and mushy. Probably the striker spring...

Forgot to add that a 25 cent trigger job (polish) will work wonders all by it's lonesome. Might make you an overnight armorer too.

Last edited:
I also have tried the connectors and spring kits and I'm not a fan. The only thing I like on my Glocks now is sights and stippling. I was having accuracy issues as well and thought parts were the cure to my problem, they weren't. I thought all that crap was helping me but then one day I picked up a stock G34 and shot it better than the guns with all the spring kits. I ended up putting all my guns back to stock minus night sights. The thing that really helped me improve was shooting it more and having someone watch me shoot and critique my fundamentals. Fundamentals are everything. Shoot it more you will pick it up.

Sight alignment, grip, stance, breathing, and trigger control. What kind of sights are on it? It took me forever to shoot well with trij HD's.

Last edited:
I also have tried the connectors and spring kits and I'm not a fan. The only thing I like on my Glocks now is sights and stippling. I was having accuracy issues as well and thought parts were the cure to my problem, they weren't. I thought all that crap was helping me but then one day I picked up a stock G34 and shot it better than the guns with all the spring kits. I ended up putting all my guns back to stock minus night sights. The thing that really helped me improve was shooting it more and having someone watch me shoot and critique my fundamentals. Fundamentals are everything. Shoot it more you will pick it up.

Sight alignment, grip, stance, breathing, and trigger control. What kind of sights are on it? It took me forever to shoot well with trij HD's.

Pretty much this. All I did with my Gen4 19 is the trigger polishing and it shoots better than I can. The grip angle doesn't bother me at all but I feel like the XDs fits my hand better so I carry that.

gun that does not have a flinch compensating grip angle.

Are you saying that the grip angle can induce or exacerbate a flinching issue?

To the OP, years ago I had the same problem with a 44MAG revolver, I thought there was something wrong with it until I shot it quite a bit off a bag. Shooting off a bag will mentally prove to yourself it is you not the gun.

Chris

The best modification for a glock is selling it for a gun that does not have a flinch compensating grip angle.
Can you elaborate on this Supermoto? I know my Glock points a bit high for me naturally, so how does that explain the OPs problem shooting groups no matter what? I can put bullets in same hole at 7 yards with mine, and I suspect you could do better.

I wish all of these people asking for internet diagnosis would post a video of them shooting 1, .5, and .25 second splits and then show target.

Are you saying that the grip angle can induce or exacerbate a flinching issue?

To the OP, years ago I had the same problem with a 44MAG revolver, I thought there was something wrong with it until I shot it quite a bit off a bag. Shooting off a bag will mentally prove to yourself it is you not the gun.

Chris

serious question...what is shooting off a bag?

serious question...what is shooting off a bag?

Really simply a bag filled with sand or lead shot. It is the only way I know how to sight in a gun. The best $30 you will ever spend.

711uIJPB8NL._SL1500_.jpg

Can you elaborate on this Supermoto? I know my Glock points a bit high for me naturally, so how does that explain the OPs problem shooting groups no matter what? I can put bullets in same hole at 7 yards with mine, and I suspect you could do better.

I wish all of these people asking for internet diagnosis would post a video of them shooting 1, .5, and .25 second splits and then show target.

The grip angle of the glock was intentionally designed to hold the front sight high, so that when Glock users shot the gun, it would bring the sights into alignment when they flinched. The grip angle also naturally bring the front sight into alignment when the gun is held sideways and punched out while shooting. Glock then marketed this gun to LEOs, Tactical timmays and gangbangers....pure genius

Back
Top Bottom