• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you shoot in your back yard?

I live in New Bedford and we are thinking of moving soon. What towns around me where you can go and shoot in your back yard. Obviously depends on the size of your property, but I'm sure some towns are better than others with hearing gun fire.

We can in Florida !

NH not so much where I am, due to restrictions on how far from a dwelling, how far from a road, etc etc etc

MA? You would have to be in the middle of nowhere to meet MA requirements for distances from roads, dwelling, etc, and then local restrictions on discharging of firearms inside town limits

I have enough wooded acreage, but wifey says, "you'll scare the horses". (and the customers too). And I get it, she is running a business.

Check mgl. C269 12e ( I think). I believe it spells out the law and exemptions.

Additional town laws my apply.

Dave

Has anyone ever tested (d) ...

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

The 2nd bold/red part of your quoted text refers to an "established range".

That was recently tested in Edgartown. A guy built a range in his backyard. The neighbor complained but was shutdown because of that clause.

Based on my reading of the news coverage, neighbor #1 had basically converted the house on his property to an inn, which was quite noisy, and he wasn’t responsive to neighbor #2’s complaints about the noise. As a result, neighbor #2 built a range in his backyard and shot a lot in order to piss off neighbor #1, who then complained to the town. This all happened on Chappaquiddick Island, which is a rural part of Edgartown.

I don’t think this ever went to court, so a judge might have a different interpretation from the Edgartown Police chief.

Back
Top Bottom