Can you shoot in your back yard?

my guess is ignorance.
Not sure what you mean. I just feel that sadistically giggling at an animal's prolonged pain and torture is antithetical to the spirit of hunting.If that's what gives you a thrill up your leg, I want nothing to do with you. I'll keep company with men who enjoy hunting as a sport, not as a means of getting off on torment and suffering. I consider hunting a noble sport, and should be seen by anti-gunners in the best possible light. The guy to whom I originally replied to publicly stated that he got his jollies (not sarcasm,) in teasing a pig cornered by dogs, and that was more enjoyable to him than the hunt. I am certainly ignorant of that, and I hope to always be so. I never got off watching something suffer unduly. And with that I am discontinuing my account. Later

I think you missed the part where the dogs were teasing the pigs and he seemed to find it ironic that they lost interest at one point. Not to speak for him, but I think you're looking for something to complain about. I don't think you have to worry about having anything to do with me...don't see that happening.

Not sure what you mean. I just feel that sadistically giggling at an animal's prolonged pain and torture is antithetical to the spirit of hunting.If that's what gives you a thrill up your leg, I want nothing to do with you. I'll keep company with men who enjoy hunting as a sport, not as a means of getting off on torment and suffering. I consider hunting a noble sport, and should be seen by anti-gunners in the best possible light. The guy to whom I originally replied to publicly stated that he got his jollies (not sarcasm,) in teasing a pig cornered by dogs, and that was more enjoyable to him than the hunt. I am certainly ignorant of that, and I hope to always be so. I never got off watching something suffer unduly. And with that I am discontinuing my account. Later
You read it wrong, geez , with friends like you , who needs enemies ?

I am on 4.1 acres and it is backed up by hundreds of acres of undeveloped city owned land. However 3 of my 4 acres are uncleared and heavily forested.
But I do have two chainsaws and some time on my hands.

Gun fire is not at all uncommon around here and is at least a weekly occurrence. Sustained gunfire is far less common though and I think if I was shooting on my property I would stick to .22 LR in an effort to lessen the report.

🐯
Make a range muffler from a 55 gallon drum. My dad and I built one for his range. His 375 H&H was no louder than a car door slam.

the range law in NH is in fact worse than MA, which is remarkable to me. If I am within 300 feet of neighbors, I need their permission no matter what. In MA, no permission needed for indoor range. Pretty shocking.
"within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated.”
So, If I'm on my own land, the 300' law does not apply, even if I'm closer than 300' to the neighbor's house!

"within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated.”
So, If I'm on my own land, the 300' law does not apply, even if I'm closer than 300' to the neighbor's house!

That would be great if true but sounds dubious to me given how LEOs typically interpret things. So I can be 50 feet from my neighbors house and discharge a firearm because I’m on my own property? Any case law interpreting the statute this way? Plus, if you are in any kind of neighborhood then looks like that is likely a compact area so a no-go.

Last edited:
Last year, I used a .177 Gamo air rifle to kill a raccoon that was raiding our trash. Fired one shot and struck it in the head. I live in one of the suburbs north of Boston and it is definitely unsafe and illegal to shoot in one's yard. Using the Gamo air rifle was pushing it enough. No way would I even think of using a firearm.

Many years ago, I did an ammo swap with a guy, that had an underground 50' target range opening onto his basement. Concrete pipe ~24" dia. Heavy curtain at the shooting end, target carrier, and everything. It was for .22 pistol, but still.....

This was in a town within 128.

I know a guy with the same setup also within 128. The MA statute specifically carves out indoor and underground ranges, as well as outdoor ranges, from the 500 foot rule.

I have had an experience with this, If you are not in compact zone, then the 300 foot distance does not continue over a property line. This is from NH F + G, they may not tell you this if you ask, but when a position needs to be taken after an incident, is the way you will find out. I questioned the CO on it after he explained it to me, and he said , Yup, that is how it is.

Back
Top Bottom