Can you shoot in your back yard?

Taunton is great. 10x better than it was 20 years ago. There was some odd stuff going on back then. I think the old BOD were just tired and overworked. But it led to some strange things like the upgrades to the "old" range. Plus their computer system blew chunks and would crash regularly. It was DOS based for crying out loud. And no one knew how to use it. I'm not complaining. I get it. It's hard to run an organization that big. And then bring in tech people when you don't know tech. And then to keep up with things. It can be a royal PITA.

I haven't been to the outdoor currently, but the indoor is awesome now. SOTA indoor range PLUS the old range when necessary. They have a lot of members but not a lot of members seem to shoot.

Also a member at Mansfield. No indoor yet. But a good range.

Old thread - but what the hell
With sportsman’s clubs being closed and kids being off for another month. I cleared a 100 meter/yard range (just need to move the target). Narrow but it’s clear. Getting the tractor out tomorrow to build up the impact area and move a couple rocks. Shooting off my deck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 18
There are no setback laws in Massachusetts if you have a bonafide "target range " the 500 foot from a structure is for hunting only. Target range is not defined under MGL.
500ft is for non-hunting as well, though ranges and test facilities are exempt. Conviction brings misdafelony PP consequences.

The MA SJC recently ruled it is a "strict liability" offense, so no intent is required for a finding of guilty. An AD will do it. So, if you get jammed up on this take the CWOF.

If you want to pass it off as a target range and convince anyone other than the "prove it is not" legal scholars on NES, it is best to set up some accoutrements of rangedom like permanently placed target stands and/or reactive targets, a shooting position, and bright yellow/black signs in the general vicinity "DANGER - LIVE SHOOTING RANGE". The court is about as likely to accept that shooting in your back yard without something set up as an actual range is indeed a "range" as it is to accept that the privacy lock on a bedroom makes the entire room a "secure container" (that's been tried). Keep photos of all this on file.

It may not prevent charges from being filed, nor will it assure the ADA will drop the charge - but it will give your attorney more to work with, and increases the chances of a non -convictory(*) disposition.

* Yes, I know I just made up that word.

Last edited:
Dang, I was hoping you could read the first as only applying to hunting but I think that only qualifies the .22 air rifle words:

207:3-a Prohibition. – It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or a .22 caliber or larger air rifle when used for hunting purposes or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or air rifle or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated.

Also, no exception for indoor ranges like in MA? Could NH truly be worse than MA?

Haha it's not worse than MA. In NH you don't even need permission of the landowner if you are > 300 ft from an occupied dwelling and not in the town center, 15 feet from a road and not shooting across the road, ie it would be full retard but you could just randomly show up anywhere setup a range 300 ft from any houses, and start blasting- until you get asked to leave of course...

Read the law to get the details but the above is a similar hunting law. None of this applies to established ranges, that is another consideration.

We are running headlong, and at full-steam towards a WROL situation.
The body count will cinch it...

Quick, well-aimed and accurate shooting skills are perishable.

Haha it's not worse than MA. In NH you don't even need permission of the landowner if you are > 300 ft from an occupied dwelling and not in the town center, 15 feet from a road and not shooting across the road, ie it would be full retard but you could just randomly show up anywhere setup a range 300 ft from any houses, and start blasting- until you get asked to leave of course...

Read the law to get the details but the above is a similar hunting law. None of this applies to established ranges, that is another consideration.

the range law in NH is in fact worse than MA, which is remarkable to me. If I am within 300 feet of neighbors, I need their permission no matter what. In MA, no permission needed for indoor range. Pretty shocking.

I was just looking at signs, I already have a plinking stand from a member here (Cerebus); I’m going to get some 50cal rated 6” gongs and hang them also.

Last edited:
the range law in NH is in fact worse than MA, which is remarkable to me. If I am within 300 feet of neighbors, I need their permission no matter what. In MA, no permission needed for indoor range. Pretty shocking.

No idea on that, assume it's true, but there is a difference between established ranges and just trying to set one up.

Keep in mind, finding 300 ft from a dwelling is also not much of an ask in NH.

Read the RSA carefully:
207:3-a Prohibition. – It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or a .22 caliber or larger air rifle when used for hunting purposes or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or air rifle or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated.
When you are at an indoor range, presumably you have "permission...from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm ... is situated".

Lol it's not what you think it is.

Also ask MTBS guy about shooting in his house....

Read the RSA carefully:

When you are at an indoor range, presumably you have "permission...from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm ... is situated".

that is correct for your own house, but if you are also within 300 from other dwellings in your neighborhood, you still have an issue. In any event, if you build the right range no one is likely to know or care. Just funny that MA of all places actually permits indoor residential ranges.

Last edited:
My son is left handed, I’m right handed - not smart just necessary.

Playing with the left handed AR-10 (DPMS) upper tomorrow. Setting the adjustable gas block and zero.

That's not a "should not shoot in my backyard" problem. That's a "not knowing the backstop" problem. I went on a pig hunt about 15 or so years ago. (Wow. I can't believe it was that long ago.) Anyhow, we were hunting with hounds. There were 2 pigs cornered. About 4-6 dogs. The dogs were all over them. The guide/dog-guy kept saying, "Don't shoot the dogs! Don't shoot the dogs!" No S Sherlock! Took a good amount of time to get the pigs to STOP moving and the dogs to get OUT of the way. Once the shot was taken, the dogs just took off elsewhere to go do other stuff. LOL. It was like the only fun in chasing the pigs were teasing them. Once they were dead, it was no fun anymore. Hahahahaha.
That how you get your jollies? Immature and cruel. You give hunters a bad name. Hunting should always be humane and and undertaken with wisdom and respect for the game you harvest. Not childish ignorance.

NH, "permanently occupied dwelling" is a topic of discussion. Have done a bit of research in the past, Dwelling, meaning toilet, sink, heat, clothes washer/dryer, electricity/running water. Most tool sheds have none of that list, but most law enforcement will count that out building in the 300 foot count in their decision, to say do not shoot here again or " ".

NH, "permanently occupied dwelling" is a topic of discussion. Have done a bit of research in the past, Dwelling, meaning toilet, sink, heat, clothes washer/dryer, electricity/running water. Most tool sheds have none of that list, but most law enforcement will count that out building in the 300 foot count in their decision, to say do not shoot here again or " ".

Most law enforcement? Where? Because that is definitely not my experience.

If I install a berm, have I not "Established" a range? What is the legal definition of an "Established Range"?

I have some target stands and range signs in addition to the berm. That should be sufficient.

If they become asses, I could be an ass. I could meet all the requirements (for hunting also) easy by reversing the range and shooting toward the road. I could have a 200yd range that way. Remember it’s ‘discharge within’ not shoot towards.

I am on 4.1 acres and it is backed up by hundreds of acres of undeveloped city owned land. However 3 of my 4 acres are uncleared and heavily forested.
But I do have two chainsaws and some time on my hands.

Gun fire is not at all uncommon around here and is at least a weekly occurrence. Sustained gunfire is far less common though and I think if I was shooting on my property I would stick to .22 LR in an effort to lessen the report.

🐯

Yes, but one time only. After that I'll be arrested and thrown in jail! ;) [laugh] I've got about a 75 yd. open stretch of land but houses all around so unfortunately I can't but plan on making a move somewhere that I can within the not too distant future.

Back
Top Bottom