Can you shoot in your back yard?

If I install a berm, have I not "Established" a range? What is the legal definition of an "Established Range"?

It’s not defined in the statute. So you would have to see if it has defined by case law. My guess is that it hasn’t been clearly defined. And if you and the police chief disagree on the definition, you can get it clarified by judge (combined with an attorney and wheelbarrows full of cash).

What we think the definition is doesn’t much matter. What matters is what a judge thinks.

This is true...and why I don't generally shoot in my backyard, although i could, and when just taking some sighting shots I do.

I prefer my Sportsman club range, as I don't want unwanted attention. Plus I have all my shooting stuff stored right at my range (except guns of course).

When I move south, I'll be looking for a property where I can make a range and build a range house/shop right with it and shoot from indoors or outdoors.

I've shot at targets in my back yard with the suppressed Ruger pistol with CB Caps.
Few ham radio operators would admit that in public.
cb_radio_t_shirts_and_gifts_trucker_hat-r9be9914fd4634b698b588942ca5c5c0a_eahwi_8byvr_200.jpg

I live in New Bedford and we are thinking of moving soon. What towns around me where you can go and shoot in your back yard. Obviously depends on the size of your property, but I'm sure some towns are better than others with hearing gun fire.

Check your laws and distances from houses etc..

Here is a picture I just took of my range. Nothing fancy but a lot of fun. I just set up on my deck and blast away. Hard to see in the picture but I have range markers out to 200'. The land tapers up hill so I have a natural backstop.

If you want to do this in MA you need to be in the western end of the state. Not just for the space and seclusion but for the attitude that people have towards shooting. A lot of people shoot around here and is just understood as being part of the rural lifestyle, just like chainsaws and ATV's. Gunfire is accepted as the the norm around here. I use to live out at the eastern end of the state, it is so different out here.

upload_2019-4-1_17-19-25.jpeg

Don't tell anyone, but I've shot at targets in my back yard with the suppressed Ruger pistol with CB Caps. Jack.

When I got my Q-Erector 22lr Suppressor, I figured I’d test it out with my Ruger Mark IV Tactical on the squirrel guard on the bird feeder - where I routinely test my airsoft plinkers. All fine and good until my wife says “Did you get a new suppressor?” I didn’t know she knew the word. It turns out a 22lr penetrates an 18g steel squirrel guard. I blamed a Red Squirrel but she wasn’t buying it...

When I shoot targets with my CZ 452 suppressed the sound of the bullet hitting the paper/backer is more audible than the shot.

A buddy of mine has a backyard pistol range complete with slanted metal panel to catch and funnel the brass into a bucket! Lots of steel, lots of fun, just west of Worcester

Buy a house with a good piece of land behind it that is dry from ground water, buy 2 40' steel shipping containers and rent a backhoe.
Cut a basement entrance into your nice, new, never-crowded indoor shooting range/bomb shelter/panic-room/ammo bunker/etc...

iu

Last edited:
Buy a house with a good piece of land behind it that is dry from ground water, buy 2 40' steel shipping containers and rent a backhoe.
Cut a basement entrance into your nice, new, never-crowded indoor shooting range/bomb shelter/ panic-room/ etc...

iu
Ammo bunker

Cut a basement entrance into your nice, new, never-crowded indoor shooting range/bomb shelter/panic-room/ammo bunker/etc...

iu

Leaded primer fumes and the shattering of rounds at the backstop cumulatively filling the air with dust would be toxic in that confined space. Would need a ground up rubber tire backstop and to use non-toxic primers if doing that on a low budget.

Leaded primer fumes and the shattering of rounds at the backstop cumulatively filling the air with dust would be toxic in that confined space. Would need a ground up rubber tire backstop and to use non-toxic primers if doing that on a low budget.

Not for me. I'm building up immunity...

I live in Beverly, MA during the week, no shooting within the city.
I work in Rowley MA, I shoot out back sometimes, I give the Police a heads up first.
I grew up in Boxford MA, in the 60's & 70's everybody would shoot in their backyard, I don't know about now.
On the weekend I live in Twin Mtn NH, I walk right out the front door blasting away, plates and gongs on the lawn, Heaven.

Rural zoned Taunton is good to go if you have the land.

Police want 500' from houses, extra legal but it makes them happy (it's an easy read from the law when someone complains)

I just joined Taunton which is 5 miles from my house so fighting bugs or cold has me doubting a lot of backyard shooting now

Lots of people have back yard ranges in the Berkshires. My dad had 300 yards. His neighbor has a 600 yard range. I have 50 yards at my house. It's getting more uncommon out here as the cityots keep moving here with their city attitude towards life.
There goes the neighborhood. :(

Back
Top Bottom