Can someone tell me why this is a no-go in MA?

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Zastava PAP M77PS in .308.

http://centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI2063-N

I count detachable mag as the lone super-duper extra killy feature. Two if you count the thumbhole stock, but IIRC, those don't count -- please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Anyway, at most two features. No flash hider or muzzle device of any kind. No mention of a threaded barrel in the specs.

I ask because of a weekend sale on these.

Additional. Only comes with a 10 rd mag. Really scratching my head on this.

Last edited:
Because it will not make it through the iron curtain that surrounds the state. ITS FOR THE CHILDREN !!

A few of the out of state places I've talked to via telephone just said they just didn't want the hassle of shipping ANYTHING to Mass. Buds Gun Shop was the first I encountered. I ordered something benign and they shut down the order a couple of years ago. Almost seems that the system kicks it back as soon as it tries to process the state. Another place, can't remember the name, said it's just easier to not ship to MA, NY, etc than to wade through regulations and laws. Hmmmm

They also won't ship it to Hawaii, and Hawaii doesn't even have an AWB* or limits on the capacity of rifle magazines.

*Hawaii has an assault weapon ban, but it only applies to pistols.

I think Affordable in Pelham has both a NH and MA if I recall correctly.

Not sure what kind of drive that is for you.

Beansie and Boiler, I was thinking the same kind of thing. Either Affordable in Pelham, or Pete's in Hudson. At least I can pick up a long gun in NH and then bring it to MA and FA-10 it, unlike a handgun.

Edit: Yup, checked this thread, http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-of-laws-regarding-Interstate-sales-transfers and as long as the rifle doesn't violate AWB, it's G2G.

Yea, I think the "Because Century Arms" is the only logical reason why this can't be shipped to MA.

Update: Just sent this to Century Arms:

I wanted to get a reason why you have this rifle http://centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI2063-N listed as not to be shipped to Massachusetts. I have to point out that this rifle seems to be completely legal to sell here. You have a 10 round mag, and a thumbhole stock. Thumbhole stocks are not the same as pistol grip. And besides that, you don't have a flash hider on this rifle. If the barrel is threaded, then you still only have two features on this that would be affected by the MA AWB [barrel and detachable mag], and that's OK for MA sale. You also have it listed as not for sale in Hawaii, and they don't have an AWB with regard to rifles. This should be a "GO" in most states that you have listed as a "NO GO". And even at that, there are many rifles that come into MA that a good gunsmith will modify for an FFL before transfer to a citizen to make it compliant. So what gives with this one?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Respectfully,
The5thDentist

Last edited:
Got a reply from a rep at Century Arms:

Navigating the complexities of the various state laws regarding firearms is a monumental task and is something we leave to our legal department, At this time, they have determined that it would be best to err on the side of caution on many issues.

So as expected, "because Century Arms" sums it up.

Here's my reply:

Thank you for your timely reply. I understand that Massachusetts is a small state and you are probably not missing much by advising your retailers that this should not be sold here. However, you are clearly not getting your money's worth out of your legal department. Rolling over to unconstitutional state regulations is not helping anyone defend the Second Amendment. Sorry to hear that your legal department feels otherwise.

Respectfully,

Oh, and per a request from a fellow member, I have found a solution to this and it does not involve shipping to any of the above-referenced NH FFL's, or any other NH FFL. Apparently there are retailers out there who can read and understand MA gun laws.

Last edited:
My neighbor is a sales rep for Century, lives right next to me and told me they want nothing to do with Ma, he sells to all the other NE states and makes killing.

Back
Top Bottom