Can I Shoot at a club/range without LTC?

What does one need to shoot at a club/ shooting range? Is this governed by law or just club policy? I live in Mass. and know for a fact I can go shoot at S&W in Springfield, over 18 with two I.D.s. But can i go to a club or range on a family membership and shoot others' legally owned guns even though i am under 21 and have no LTC? If this has been covered elsewhere, please direct me, Thanks

what if you have a resident permit for NH and want to get a membership and drive 5 minutes down the road to Fitchburg Sportsman's club and shoot? Do you have to pay the $100 per year just to shoot at a club where you are a member?

Do you have to pay the $100 per year just to shoot at a club where you are a member?
Only if you don't want to get arrested. As a non-resident, you're not allowed to have a handgun in MA. And rifles only if you're in a competition. [rolleyes]

Just pretend that the extra $100 is part of your membership fee. [wink]

Only if you don't want to get arrested. As a non-resident, you're not allowed to have a handgun in MA. And rifles only if you're in a competition.
Incorrect on the "rifles only" part. MGL 140s131G also covers handguns possessed by non-residents for a competition.

Incorrect on the "rifles only" part. MGL 140s131G also covers handguns possessed by non-residents for a competition.

Yes but this would only help with competitions. Unless you print a flyer every time you go practice, you need to pony up the 100 a year. Ive been through this a bunch because theres no road access to my home range, which is in NH, without driving through MA (unless i want to go 10+ extra miles)....I need the MA non-res to avoid any legal disasters that occur in that 3 minutes in MA.

Gotcha. Tiktock, that sucks about driving through Mass. My Stepdad lives in Rindge but works in Brookline, NH, so he has to go through Asshburnham, Ashby, Townsend, just to get there in a reasonable amount of time. Isn't there a way to legally transport firearms through the state without an LTC though. I thought in your case you could lock the gun in a secure container our of your control while driving through Mass and save a $100 each year. No?

A trip from NH to NH by an NH resident is covered under FOPA for the MA duration of the trip. So long as the firearm is duly secured, there is no problem.

As has been posted many, MANY, MANY times before and, thus, would have been found by any effort to look.

A trip from NH to NH by an NH resident is covered under FOPA for the MA duration of the trip. So long as the firearm is duly secured, there is no problem.

As has been posted many, MANY, MANY times before and, thus, would have been found by any effort to look.

This brings up an interesting point. It's been bounced around on many an internet firearms board that some states supposedly "don't recognize" FOPA. Is this true of Mass, or is there definitive evidence that Mass plays nice where FOPA is concerned?

I've heard horror stories (and without proof of which, that's all they are) that NY and a few other Anti states have put the pinch on people for passing through the state in question while fully in compliance with FOPA.

I always scratch my head on this one, given my hopefully correct understanding that FOPA is a Federal law, as opposed to a state law governing possession in a given state.

Bear in mind, I'm not trying to challenge your statement that FOPA would (should?) protect the person in question, but just seeing if there's case law to fall back on given the screwy gun climate in this state.

I've heard horror stories (and without proof of which, that's all they are) that NY and a few other Anti states have put the pinch on people for passing through the state in question while fully in compliance with FOPA.
Fooped, they're not stories. I've read actual news accounts of the gentleman who was arrested in NJ for flying with his gun in his (checked) luggage - his connecting flight was cancelled and he had to stay overnight... and was arrested the next day when he came to board his flight.

Don't have time right now to google the article, but it's out there.

This brings up an interesting point. It's been bounced around on many an internet firearms board that some states supposedly "don't recognize" FOPA. Is this true of Mass, or is there definitive evidence that Mass plays nice where FOPA is concerned?

I always scratch my head on this one, given my hopefully correct understanding that FOPA is a Federal law, as opposed to a state law governing possession in a given state.

Bear in mind, I'm not trying to challenge your statement that FOPA would (should?) protect the person in question, but just seeing if there's case law to fall back on given the screwy gun climate in this state.

The Massachusetts courts have no trouble following FOPA.

As you supposedly LIVE in Plymouth and have a MA LTC, how could FOPA possibly affect you IN MA? [rolleyes]

it doesnt hurt to know these types of things. What says that just because he has a MA LTCA that he doesnt need to know? maybe he has a friend who would like the info, maybe he could move out of state aone day and just wants to know, OR perhaps he just wants to understand the 2A climate of this state to its fullest (something which I dont think ANYBODY would ever say is a bad thing)

This isnt a need to know basis forum. People want to know, and their reasons are not privy to you or me unless they explicitly say otherwise.

it doesnt hurt to know these types of things. What says that just because he has a MA LTCA that he doesnt need to know? maybe he has a friend who would like the info, maybe he could move out of state aone day and just wants to know, OR perhaps he just wants to understand the 2A climate of this state to its fullest (something which I dont think ANYBODY would ever say is a bad thing)

This isnt a need to know basis forum. People want to know, and their reasons are not privy to you or me unless they explicitly say otherwise.

Despite desperate, intermeddling rationalizations, the query is absurd. FOPA does NOT apply to intrastate transport. Period. [slap]

Despite desperate, intermeddling rationalizations, the query is absurd. FOPA does NOT apply to intrastate transport. Period. [slap]

Nice job not even replying to what I said! No really, I'm impressed!

I know FOPA does not apply intrastate, but that is not my point. My point is, simple enough for you to understand: it does not have to apply to him for him to know it. You are assuming too much by answering his question "it does not apply to you.". Since when did you decide who gets to know and who doesn't?

Last edited:
Since when did you decide who gets to know and who doesn't?

No decision necessary. The question was answered - AGAIN - here. Repeatedly.

As it has been before on this forum. Repeatedly.

Your transparent attempt to make this a vindication of the obtuse or willfully ignorant by placing it in the guise of a FOIA request doesn't change that. [flame]

No decision necessary. The question was answered - AGAIN - here. Repeatedly.

As it has been before on this forum. Repeatedly.

Your transparent attempt to make this a vindication of the obtuse or willfully ignorant by placing it in the guise of a FOIA request doesn't change that. [flame]

so, instead of just saying "it doesnt apply to you" how about you say "do a search and you will find it"? There is no need for the brash manner in which you reply to posts on here. I hope you don't conduct your personal or business lives the way you do here.

Someone needs to go to finishing school[rofl]

Time to unsubscribe from this thread. You boys play nice, now.
threadjacked.gif

A list of clubs that allowed guest to shoot without LTC/FID would be nice

* I dont expect someone here to compile the list, just some members to list clubs known to them

I think the reverse would be a shorter list. Until this thread, I'd never heard of a club requiring guests to have an LTC/FID. I know that Wayland Rod & Gun Club, Harvard Sportsman's, and Riverside do not have such a requirement.

Nor MRA, MIT, WSA, or Cape Ann. Club requirements for guests (other than basics like actually being a guest of a specific member and being subject all the regular range rules) are a new one on me.

Back
Top Bottom