Can I shoot an arrow to get my drone out of a tree?

jho

I have a drone stuck about 40-50 feet up in a tree at a park in Newton. I tried for an hour to throw rocks at it but the branches keep getting in the way and I can Barely throw that high. My 23 foot extension pole with another 8 foot pole taped on wont reach it and flexes too much to add any more length.

People living in free states use slingshots with rope attached to weights to shake branches but slingshots are illegal in MA. Anyone know the legality of me shooting an arrow and string up into the tree?

It is Newton so I imagine the sheep might freak out but is there any law prohibiting this? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slingshots are NOT illegal to possess or use in MA!

The distances from a roadway and houses for hunting (I am told) also apply to use of a bow and arrow, so if caught you can expect to be charged.

Most people would ask a custodian or a groundskeeper or a maintenance guy for a ladder. NES members want to break out the Mathews or PSE, but they post here questioning the legality...

And that's why I stay here.

It's my quadcopter it resented me and refused to come back on Saturday and has since lost power and been rained on but I think I can crack it open and put some dessicant on it.

Thanks Len noted on the bow and arrow. This is at the edge of a park and is probably within 500 yards of a house.

Not to be a pain but can you show me the evidence that slingshots aren't illegal in MA. I thought manufacture, sale, and possession were illegal.

Newton folk can be hard ons so I'm just covering my bases so as to not scare the sheep.

cant find someone to make the climb? Although that might be more of a problem than the bow/arrow attempt ?

I just did the exact same thing to get mine down after Christmas. Nobody complained so take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a [STRIKE=friend]friend[/STRIKE] drone.

(With appologies to Longfellow)

when i'm using a throw line to get a heavier line up in a tree to tie it off so i can cut it down i usually tie a rubber kong (dog toy) onto it and throw it...40-50' isn't a far throw even vertically...throw the line up as close as you can over the branch and tie something big that won't damage it partway on the line and keep pulling on each end till you knock it off or get a rope saw and cut the limb...make sure you have an extra person or 2 there to catch it in a blanket or something

Last edited:
Not my tree to cut and it's on a path.

If I could fly a drone good enough to rescue another drone, I wouldn't be in this pickle either.

Branches don't start for about 25 feet and I don't know to climb trees that well.

Tie the rope to something like the Kong mentioned or something that weighs about a pound.
Then sling it up by either spinning the weight like a lasso or think David and Goliath and use a sling.
I would think 40-50 feet is achievable.
Or build a potato gun

Put a tennis ball over the pointy end of the arrow, kinda like they do with walkers. That should settle the sheep's nerves about it.

Any Nerf guns around?

The last NES Drone Retrieval Team resulted in a recommendation to troll Craigslist for "man with a truck" type services - Bucket/boom quickie, 15 minutes, $50 is how (I think) it ended.

When I was a volunteer firefighter, I went on a call where the resident was asking for help getting a $1k pet bird out of a tree. As ridiculous as it sounds, since the Commonwealth doesn't encourage self help (use of a bow is a good idea if it is on a string) you may want to call the fire department.

Actually, can they charge him for using an arrow if it is fitted to a line and clearly not an arrow - seems like launching a recovery tool more than hunting with an arrow.

Tie the rope to something like the Kong mentioned or something that weighs about a pound.
Then sling it up by either spinning the weight like a lasso or think David and Goliath and use a sling.
I would think 40-50 feet is achievable.
Or build a potato gun

Right, you don't have to hit it, just just have to get close so you can shake the tree.

Or two teenagers walking home from school and a $10 bill to the fastest climber?

It's my quadcopter it resented me and refused to come back on Saturday and has since lost power and been rained on but I think I can crack it open and put some dessicant on it.

Thanks Len noted on the bow and arrow. This is at the edge of a park and is probably within 500 yards of a house.

Not to be a pain but can you show me the evidence that slingshots aren't illegal in MA. I thought manufacture, sale, and possession were illegal.

Newton folk can be hard ons so I'm just covering my bases so as to not scare the sheep.

It's 500 ft, not yards.

You won't find a law declaring slingshots as legal. You will find a law that says SLUNGshots are illegal, so I suggest you look up the definition of both to understand where the common confusion is here.

Back
Top Bottom