• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I sell a post-ban Glock to a GS???

Mass-diver

NES Member
{This is not a hypothetical, but I think my question is clearer if I phrase it as such}

If I buy a new/post-ban glock from a cop or someone who has move to MA from a free state (via an FA-10), can I then later sell (as a trade in) this glock to a gun store. Can they sell it? This is a compact model and High cap mags are not an issue.

Thanks!

No, because an FFL in this state can only sell handguns (to a civilian), that are on the EOPS roster, and/or handguns that have been blessed by his/her high holiness Attorney General.

The other exception to the pre-ban/post-ban rule WRT the EOPS roster and AGs CMR is that if not listed or approved, they had to be registered in MA before (I forget the exact date [thinking] ), 1998.

I think the GS could sell the gun to someone not from MA, or someone otherwise unencumbered by the MGL/AG restrictions.

No, because an FFL in this state can only sell handguns (to a civilian), that are on the EOPS roster, and/or handguns that have been blessed by his/her high holiness Attorney General.

The other exception to the pre-ban/post-ban rule WRT the EOPS roster and AGs CMR is that if not listed or approved, they had to be registered in MA before (I forget the exact date [thinking] ), 1998.

Just dated my pistol on top glock it's 6/1/98 - guess I'm in the clear afterall right?

Last edited:
Y'know, it took me a few seconds to figure out that by "GS", the poster meant a Gun Store... I was wondering why he was selling a Glock to a Girl Scout. [laugh]

You can sell the gun to an FFL no problem, and if it's a pre-oct 1998 they can sell it to an MA resident, or if its post they can sell it out of state.

Many dealers won't take guns that they can't sell in MA. They just don't want to be bothered.

Those that will are likely to offer you much less than they would if they could sell it in MA.

Selling these guns privately pulls a premium. Thus selling privately nets a lot more money.

Pretty standard in this industry that a dealer will offer you ~50% cash of the used value for a gun he can sell in state. In that case, I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer of 30-40% of used value on a gun that they have to "export" out of state to sell. In hard dollars, a G27 may net $700 sold privately. If it is pre-98, a dealer might offer you $350-400 for it. If post-98 you might get offers of $200-300 for the same gun.

This is why putting a gun on consignment is a very good idea (assuming it can be sold in-state), you'll get the sale price less ~15-20% consignment fee ($560-595 in my same example).

Back
Top Bottom