• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I buy this AK-47?

make sure the bayo lugs are ground off or not there. I cant tell from that photo.

that and make sure the brake is permanently attached to the threaded barrel.

PAPs are fine and dandy. Just make sure that the high cap conversion isn't crappy. I don't see who "did this work" from the website.

PAPs need trunnion modification in order to feed double wide mags. That scares me.

that and make sure the brake is permanently attached to the threaded barrel.

PAPs are fine and dandy. Just make sure that the high cap conversion isn't crappy. I don't see who "did this work" from the website.

PAPs need trunnion modification in order to feed double wide mags. That scares me.

I wouldn't be able to tell if the high cap conversion was crappy or not! What should I be looking for?

Sorry for the noob questions....if the rifle is MA compliant I am going to pick it up today!

Last edited:
few reasons:
1. what flintoid mentioned
2. russian vs yugo (yugoslavia has been known for not being able to produce high quality alloy steel. lack of natural deposits of molybdenum, chromium, wolfram) therefore "Heavy Duty' 1.6mm receiver is extra heft to compensate for lack of strength. do you like extra heft/weight?
3. true russian Izhmash Built rifle based of AK100-series of guns, which are more modern revision (shortcomings o AK47s/AKMs/AK74s corrected and improved upon) vs whatever unknown revision these PAP AKs are using.
I don't believe either will have that much of collectible value since neither are even remotely rare and market is flooded with these rifles.

also level of interchangeability. as i mentioned there are millions of Saigas circulating and majority of parts for those are very much interchangeable regardless of the caliber - easier to find down the line.

amount of after-market parts for Saiga is somewhat higher too i would think

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to tell if the high cap conversion was crappy or not! What should I be looking for?

Sorry for the noob questions....if the rifle is MA compliant I am going to pick it up today!

the front trunnion needs milled out to feed double stack mags. This may/may not affect feeding- the bullet guide may not be the first thing the rounds face coming from the mag- there may be front trunnion "meat" that interfaces first.

Ask atlantic to take a picture of the front trunnion bullet guide area. Then post it on here. They are usually good about giving info on their products.

for example: here's a PAP modified for double stack mags. Notice how the front trunnion has to be re-riveted? Also note: lots of metal "in the white."

These issues aren't killer, but it's kinda shoddy IMO. You are getting a yugo hammer forged barrel, which is good. But you should probably treat the metal when you get it.

images

few reasons:
1. what flintoid mentioned
2. russian vs yugo (yugoslavia has been known for not being able to produce high quality alloy steel. lack of natural deposits of molybdenum, chromium, wolfram) therefore "Heavy Duty' 1.6mm receiver is extra heft to compensate for lack of strength. do you like extra heft/weight?
3. true russian Izhmash Built rifle based of AK100-series of guns, which are more modern revision (shortcomings o AK47s/AKMs/AK74s corrected and improved upon) vs whatever unknown revision these PAP AKs are using.
I don't believe either will have that much of collectible value since neither are even remotely rare and market is flooded with these rifles.

also level of interchangeability. as i mentioned there are millions of Saigas circulating and majority of parts for those are very much interchangeable regardless of the caliber - easier to find down the line.

amount of after-market parts for Saiga is somewhat higher too i would think

going back to his OP- this converted Saiga has a threaded barrel like the PAP. Which is a bad thing since he wants a MA compliant model.

and why pay $400 extra for a saiga conversion when he could just do it himself? It has nothing special beyond the threaded barrel and "correct" front sight block.

going back to his OP- this converted Saiga has a threaded barrel like the PAP. Which is a bad thing since he wants a MA compliant model.

and why pay $400 extra for a saiga conversion when he could just do it himself? It has nothing special beyond the threaded barrel and "correct" front sight block.

Yep. From my experience and basic knowledge of AK's, the best way to get one you really want is to buy a Saiga and convert it over. It isn't that difficult but time consuming. You also can learn a lot by doing to conversion.

you may pay almost as much in conversion parts and shipping.
furniture - easily $100-120 bucks
FCG - $30
FSB -$30-50 (depending on which kind)
grip screw/nut -$10-15
retainer $30-80
trigger guard/mag latch housing, bullet guided, misc - probably another $50-60
Whatever muzzle break he wants - $10-40

and that's only parts and no shipping included, which also can get easily in the area of 40-60 bucks when buying from different retailers.
assuming you have all required tools and equipment i.e dremmel, shop-press, drill press, etc.

how much are you really saving?

unless, you are doing absolute bottom of the barrel conversion, then yeah - you can save $100-150

Last edited:
wow...I just called the shop to ask if the rifle in question was MA compliant. The person I spoke to could only confirm that there were no bayo lugs - couldn't tell me anything about the muzzle brake. They also told me that because it can accept hi cap mags it's not MA compliant. ugh...

Supposedly this persons boss is going to call me back after his lunch break.

wow...I just called the shop to ask if the rifle in question was MA compliant. The person I spoke to could only confirm that there were no bayo lugs - couldn't tell me anything about the muzzle brake. They also told me that because it can accept hi cap mags it's not MA compliant. ugh...

Supposedly this persons boss is going to call me back after his lunch break.

If they are gay with you I would just convert a saiga.

I guess my skepticism was not founded. They just called me back and the boss confirmed the only issue is the muzzle break, which their gunsmith can probably pin/weld when he comes in at 4pm. There are no lugs and the mag that comes with it is pre-ban.

I'm going there at 4 to speak to the smith. Might just have my first AK by tonight.[smile]

If they are gay with you I would just convert a saiga.

Yes. [rolleyes] Most dealers in surrounding states cringe when the evil words "MA compliant" are said. I usually get laughed at when I say that I'm from MA. It's getting extremely exhausting dealing with BS like this.

very nice. Yugo AKs are nice rifles. You will enjoy shooting it. And it has the important features of an AK that you should look for: combloc barrel from it's home country.

here's a review of the rifle:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=174727&start=25#p1401340

You may need to pick up some cold blue to touch up the machined trunnion area and possible "nicks" from the rivet job on the front trunnion. Other than that, you could buy a new yugo top cover without the rail if you wanted it to look "original." But if you don't mind? You're pretty much set.

very nice. Yugo AKs are nice rifles. You will enjoy shooting it. And it has the important features of an AK that you should look for: combloc barrel from it's home country.

here's a review of the rifle:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=174727&start=25#p1401340

You may need to pick up some cold blue to touch up the machined trunnion area and possible "nicks" from the rivet job on the front trunnion. Other than that, you could buy a new yugo top cover without the rail if you wanted it to look "original." But if you don't mind? You're pretty much set.

I hear ya, their is some metal in the white that needs some bluing. I should have had the guy who welded the brake hit those spots while he was bluing his welds.

I am very happy with this purchase. It came with 2 30-round mags and it seems very solid, except for the rail which is sort of silly. I also like the NATO stock - it fits me just right. While it was slightly impulsive, an Ak-47 has been next on my list for a while and when I found this one yesterday I decided I better move on it if everything checked out. I should be able to get out and shoot it later this week. Can't wait!

Thanks for all the help folks.

Back
Top Bottom