• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I buy Black Powder in Mass without FID or other nonsense?

I see Bass Pro carries Goex. I'd like to buy a pound, but I'm not a Mass resident and refuse to bother with any Mass licenses to exercise my 2A rights. Can I go to the store and buy some powder without being accosted for a "privilage to use his rights card" under Massachusetts permission?"

I'm pretty sure it's considered ammunition, as are primers and projectiles. I've always had to show my LTC to buy.

You will probably be arrested on the spot, beaten until unconscious then dragged by your ankles behind a State Police vehicle to Beacon Hill. What is left of your carcus will be chained to the gate leading to the Attorney Generals office. Each morning crowds will gather where your lifeless body will be kicked and spat upon. When your wrist and ankles begin to separate due to decay, what is left of your worthless freedom seeking lifeless body will be dragged to the Commons where it will be picked completely clean by the vultures that circle that area. Your bones will be gathered and taken to the Kennedy Private Beach on the Cape and bleached white in the sun then ground into a very fine powder that will be mixed into the makeup that the Attorney General will apply before her date night with her SO.

Welcome to Massachusetts, the birthplace of the Progressive Revolution! FORWARD!

Last edited:
It's so retarded here that they define "ammunition" as cartridges or powder, or primers, or bullets (just the projectile) or brass. Even old, beat-up spent brass requires an FID or better. When we first moved here from CA it was hard to explain to my kids that they could no longer go home from the range with their pockets brimming with spent brass or bullets they dug out of the berm.[rolleyes] That was their first introduction to the concept that some adults, even ones important enough to write laws, are just retards.[laugh]

Last edited:
Yup, you'd need a straw man.

A straw man implies something either unlawful, or unethical.

It is not unlawful to give somebody BP, Cap and Ball. They need a license to purchase it.

Kind of like when my kid had his FID, but was <18....I had to buy the ammo, but I could hand it to him, and he could take "his" shottie, or Garand to the range, all completely in compliance with the law.

A straw man implies something either unlawful, or unethical.

It is not unlawful to give somebody BP, Cap and Ball. They need a license to purchase it.

Kind of like when my kid had his FID, but was <18....I had to buy the ammo, but I could hand it to him, and he could take "his" shottie, or Garand to the range, all completely in compliance with the law.
Funny thing is I went to Cabela's in Mass last year to replace a defective Pietta 1851 Navy with one that worked properly and I didn't need any FID baloney, but to buy powder... oh no, that's not acceptable. You can own that replica of an antique gun as part of your 2A right, but shooting it is a privilege that our lore officers must approve of after you pay them.

I guess I'll just have to wait outside the store and ask people to buy me a pound of powder and just happen to drop $30 right in front of them after I'm given the powder.

Or I'll just say screw Mass and drive to New Hampshire to get some.

It's important that the details on this labyrinthine twist in the MGLs is kept clear.

Just the other day I heard a SJW on the radio, saying that the Charlottesville troubles would not happen in Boston, because "Massachusetts is not an open-carry state."

I'm very much for wry, tongue-in-cheek humor, but there's no point in making the MGLs worse than they are. [laugh]

It's important that the details on this labyrinthine twist in the MGLs is kept clear.

Just the other day I heard a SJW on the radio, saying that the Charlottesville troubles would not happen in Boston, because "Massachusetts is not an open-carry state."

I'm very much for wry, tongue-in-cheek humor, but there's no point in making the MGLs worse than they are. [laugh]

What's she taking about, my car open carries me all the time.

Funny thing is I went to Cabela's in Mass last year to replace a defective Pietta 1851 Navy with one that worked properly and I didn't need any FID baloney, but to buy powder... oh no, that's not acceptable. You can own that replica of an antique gun as part of your 2A right, but shooting it is a privilege that our lore officers must approve of after you pay them.

I guess I'll just have to wait outside the store and ask people to buy me a pound of powder and just happen to drop $30 right in front of them after I'm given the powder.

Hmmmmm, it appears that you've had experience outside of liquor stores when you were a lad prior to reaching the legal age to consume alcohol! [cheers]

Finally, you got the point. LOL

I don't think there is anything in MA stopping you from making it yourself![smile]
And you could cast your own bullets..[rofl]

Get a flintlock , a bayonet and your all set for go time!

Remember Costco parking lot with a double latte in hand is the secret meeting place![smile]

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything in MA stopping you from making it yourself![smile]
And you could cast your own bullets..[rofl]

Get a flintlock , a bayonet and your all set for go time!

Remember Costco parking lot with a double latte in hand is the secret meeting place![smile]

Unless OP has flint-knapping skills, or wants to go matchlock a la Plimouth Plantation, he still needs caps. [laugh]

[video=youtube_share;8R4jLIB1Flc]http://youtu.be/8R4jLIB1Flc[/video]
Roll your own...

I'm usually asked but this morning I bought powder, primers and brass at Cabelas and wasn't asked for anything but money.

I think technically you can buy and possess black powder without an LTC/FID, but for larger stores like BPS, it's easier for them to train their cashiers to err on the side of caution. Wouldn't want Herr Healey to come down on then for selling an "ammunition component" to someone without a license on accident.

This question came up in my hunter safety class. I was sure it was prohibited under the ammo component clause. To my surprise, I was wrong. Black powder is exempt.

Back
Top Bottom