• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can an employer tell you that you can’t bring a firearm to work?

Declaration of Independence not Constitution — second sentence covers it (“life”):

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that 'the rights of Englishmen', but later changed to all men are created equal,[8] that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Who’s denying anyone LIFE by not allowing them to carry on their property? Where does it state that the ability to carry a gun is a requirement to defend their LIFE?

The right to keep and bear arms is not a natural right.

And, if it is a natural right, then why would it need to be in the Bill of Rights?

Thanks.

FIFY.

A small fix, but the only one that matters. Government can't infringe, largely because you can't voluntarily choose not to abide by its laws. But you can absolutely choose not to abide by any business' arbitrary policies, by simply going to some other business.
You're correct you choose to walk into that business. However that doesn't give the business the magical power to become exempt from following the constitution. If I'm black and I walk into the a store and the owner says "get out I don't want any of your kind in here" he's in store for a rude awakening right quick. I'm saying businesses and the government don't get to decide who or what rights are discriminated against. It's either all or nothing.

Last edited:
Yes free it is a natural right. The Bill of Rights are guaranteed not granted by government. Although we've done enough mental gymnastics in 200 years to change that.
The Bill of Rights are granted by the government. That is why they exist, thankfully.

You're correct you choose to walk into that business. However that doesn't give the business the magical power to become exempt from following the constitution. If I'm black and I walk into the a store and the owner says "get out I don't want any of your kind in here" he's in store for a rude awakening right quick. I'm saying businesses and the government don't get to decide who or what rights are discriminated against. It's either all or nothing.

All or nothing? That's funny. They ban bare feet in stores, and have for decades; I take it you walk into businesses all the time with bare feet, because it's Your Natural Right?

So schools, post offices and courthouses generally ban firearms too... Can I expect that you'll open-carry next time you go to one of those places? You'd better do it, because it's Your Natural Right. Right?

You'd better not disarm in the parking lot at the courthouse, because "it's either all or nothing."

Last edited:
You aren't that simple or maybe you're just being funny I guess. I assume your being funny. I also assume you're ok with businesses being forced to comply with all kinds of regulations but not the second amendment? Oh and I don't see a problem with walking around barefoot. Cody Lundin does it and in sure he could out survive anyone on this forum.
Nah, not being funny at all. You're the one stating an absolute. So if anyone here is being "simple," I'd say it's you.

Talk is cheap. You're good at using your keyboard to be an absolutist, but I'm imagining you won't put your money (or your freedom) where your mouth is. Yes?

Pop on into a school on Monday morning with your gat, because it's Your Natural Right. Tell us how that goes.

OP - on a completely unrelated note, have I ever told you that my PM9 absolutely disappears in a front pocket with a decent pocket holster?
Or that a Sig 365 or a Glock 43 is virtually undetectable in a decent "in the waist band" holster?
There are other options in 380 but why would you bother? Its harder to find and more expensive than 9mm, and gay less effective.

I also just picked up one of these, for when one gun just isn't enough.

OP - on a completely unrelated note, have I ever told you that my PM9 absolutely disappears in a front pocket with a decent pocket holster?
Or that a Sig 365 or a Glock 43 is virtually undetectable in a decent "in the waist band" holster?
There are other options in 380 but why would you bother? Its harder to find and more expensive than 9mm, and gay less effective.

I also just picked up one of these, for when one gun just isn't enough.

Interesting. I've never seen that product before, and I just bought one. I'll have them send you a finder's fee. [rofl]

Oh and another thing don't we always say if people are carrying they have the ability to stop someone who decides to start shooting up a workplace? I would think people would want to promote caring a firearm in a workplace just for the safety of everyone around I mean that's what we always talk about on here.
There is another side to the whole argument that a business owner makes the rules. The business owner can allow guns or not. If someone dies on the owners property and it can be shown he didn't take proper safety precautions, he can be held responsible. But if the owner allows guns and an employee shoots someone the owner can and will be held responsible. So the owner has some responcability for your actions in the workplace. The point is there is no free lunch, you don't get to make the rules without the responsibilities.

I own my own business, lol. Got my office manager a Bodyguard for Xmas a couple of years ago. She's petite, had a P238, loved to shoot it but didn't like carrying cocked & locked in a belly band so we tried out a BG and she loved it so I got her one (plus accessories), carries it all the time. And she has keys to my house, alarm code, safe combinations & knows what do do if something happens to me. I also give my employees a cash bonus at Xmas every year too.
Seriously???? 70 posts going forward..... petite and has the keys to your house......and not one: IS SHE HOT???????

Wow I must've got under your skin teach. You're right talk is cheap. There's alot of cheap talk on this forum about "muh rights" but in reality it's just a hobby. It's no longer a natural right because our ruling class has made it that way. So no I can't put my money where my mouth is and walk into a school with a firearm. There's alot of things you can't just do and that includes businesses.

The other reality is that 30 years ago my father could walk into my middle school with his pistol sitting front and center for everyone to see. Now people shit their pants if they see someone carrying a gun.

Yep.

The bolded part is what a lot of us have been trying to tell you for awhile now. But you backpedal nicely, I'll give you that.

But... under my skin? Nah. Not even slightly. I'm just a realist.

I’m a contract employee not at will
Depends what your contract says. That's the nice thing about contracts, if it isn't in the contract they can't do it. In your case, if they didn't say you have to follow rules and those include no guns, then they can't break the contract over it.

Yep.

The bolded part is what a lot of us have been trying to tell you for awhile now. But you backpedal nicely, I'll give you that.

Picton I'm not back peddling. I never said you COULD walk into a business and claim it's my natural right to self defense to have a firearm. Our society has determined the that the 2A is a second class right. I'm saying you SHOULD be able to. Again the government can in fact force a business to not discriminate against people. That's established.

Interesting. I've never seen that product before, and I just bought one. I'll have them send you a finder's fee. [rofl]
It works great. Unfortunately, I have really big calves, so for me. not easy to draw when wearing most jeans. No problem with khakis etc.
I really like the extra pouch for a spare magazine or cash/ cards. Great product for the money.

Yep.

Imagine stating it's better the government infringe on everyone's rights to do they please versus not letting the government infringe on anyone. That's the wild thing about his argument to me.

Picton I'm not back peddling. I never said you COULD walk into a business and claim it's my natural right to self defense to have a firearm. Our society has determined the that the 2A is a second class right. I'm saying you SHOULD be able to. Again the government can in fact force a business to not discriminate against people. That's established.
But they have the same control over your 1A rights as well. An employer can fire you for what you say just as easily.

I don't know, I've carried in schools, hospitals, PO's, police stations, and plenty of other places that prohibit firearms, including my work place. Concealed properly, no one knows. It's not rocket science. The only caveat, is metal detectors.

But they have the same control over your 1A rights as well. An employer can fire you for what you say just as easily.

They probably regulate how you use their wifi and I doubt you've really got any 4A rights in your desk or locker.

If it means forcing a business to recognize a natural right then yes. The bill of rights are rights that are to be guaranteed. End of story.
2a prohibits the GOVERNMENT from infringing your right to carry firearms. It does not and should not prohibit private parties from doing so

Don't we always equate the 2nd Amendment to the natural right to self defense? Also I think it's been pretty well established that you have a right TO your property but not whatever you want to DO on your property.
The right to self defense (using firearms, knives, whatever) is a natural right that has nothing whatsoever to do with the 2nd amendment.

Back
Top Bottom