Can an employer tell you that you can’t bring a firearm to work?

You can also be fired for things you say outside of work. Almost every company will fire you for lack of wokeness - it's the degree of tolerance for deviation from correctspeak that varies between employers. Some tolerate a degree of debate, others do not. I work for a big company and I would expect decruitment if I started posting on non-work forums that the firm's competitors offered better products.
We waited 6mo for a 1hr call with a Federal Agency to discuss an application, and the guy we had to deal with was a low-level reviewer with a very strong Indian accent, with little command of English, who simply read the Agency’s short written response back to us repeatedly over a noisy phone line. We gave up after 20min. Our legal advisors said we could appeal a second call without another long wait based on the noisy phone line. I said if it’s another call with that guy, we’d be wasting our time. While everyone agreed, I found I’d been chosen for a Communicating with Diverse Colleagues course by HR just a few days later.

What did I learn? Just shut the F Up and let the company suffer for diversity.

Here’s a Venn Diagram to prove we’re all better with Diversity, Inclusion and Equity.

CF4962D9-7F4A-4A4F-8613-206438C93764.png

You might have some protection in a gun friendly state but in general the boss makes the rules. You are free to abide by them or go elsewhere. In my company everyone is armed as are some of the subs.

I had my left index finger replaced with a prosthetic that incorporates a .380 derringer. I can go anywhere armed and nobody is the wiser
54c53c.jpg

Surprisingly there's alot of union people that voted for Trump. It's mostly the business agents and stewards that support democrats.
I agree. But in 22 active years in the Union (now retired), I NEVER saw a member speak out at meeting about the blind support of Democrats by the Union. I, was the only one, and that included Steward meetings. I remember some slimeball followed me out and says "If you don't vote Democrat, you shouldn't vote". Yeah, that scrotum licking slimeball was a pathetic tradesman that got on the E Board so that he would get sent out to work. I think the majority of rank and file members are conservative....but keep their heads down to avoid repercussions.

I agree. But in 22 active years in the Union (now retired), I NEVER saw a member speak out at meeting about the blind support of Democrats by the Union. I, was the only one, and that included Steward meetings. I remember some slimeball followed me out and says "If you don't vote Democrat, you shouldn't vote". Yeah, that scrotum licking slimeball was a pathetic tradesman that got on the E Board so that he would get sent out to work. I think the majority of rank and file members are conservative....but keep their heads down to avoid repercussions.
You should hear the teacher’s union meetings.

You're incorrect. I always towed the company line. My reviews were always excellent. That's how I was able to go back into the union after being in management. It was looked at as a gift to supervisors who had done well but had decided management wasn't for them.

Nothing wrong with your self confidence, but I'm willing to bet your manager heaved a sigh of relief. You would be surprised to know what us managers REALLY think of certain people.

Sure they can tell you that in most places.

And in the places where they can't,
if they find out you're storing a gun in the parking lot,
and it gets their bowels in an uproar, they can fire you on some pretext.
It's a pretty stupid manager who can't pull a rabbit out of that hat.

The reason why you never had a problem,
is because you kept your mouth shut.
You know that.
Jus' sayin'.
Your car is an extension of your home, it's your property, they can't tell you what you can/cannot have in your car if it's an open parking lot that is open to the public. If its a secure/gated/guarded parking lot then maybe they could but thats different. Yea they could find another reason to fire you, but if they fire you for keeping a gun locked securely in your car per storage requirements you do have a leg to stand on, been a few cases where people have sued and won on it. Of course, it's not worth the trouble, but if you did end up in that situation and wanted to battle it out you might have a chance.

Last edited:
Company I worked for had that rule. No weapons on the property including the parking lot. LOL! Carried to work everyday for 10 years. No one knew and I didn't tell them. I did warn HR that if they were ever going to have an Active Shooter drill they should probably let a few of us managers in on it. I retired this year, none of them any the wiser. Guess you have to be willing to get fired if they catch you and stick to their policies though.

IIRC, by the mid-1970s there had been a USSC ruling throwing out inappropriate workplace restrictions that were irrelevant to the work.

That said I worked for Stone & Webster Engineering in Boston who had posted work rules. They stated that women's skirts had to be a minimum length, hair length (both men and women) could only be so long, IIRC it required women to wear nylons or pantyhose, etc. All this stuff was illegal, but it was enforced. This was all office workers in a secured building.

Companies do what they want wrt enforcing "workplace rules" on employees, sometimes even when said rules are illegal.

Your car is an extension of your home, it's your property, they can't tell you what you can/cannot have in your car if it's an open parking lot that is open to the public. If its a secure/gated/guarded parking lot then maybe they could but thats different. Yea they could find another reason to fire you, but if they fire you for keeping a gun locked securely in your car per storage requirements you do have a leg to stand on, been a few cases where people have sued and won on it. Of course, it's not worth the trouble, but if you did end up in that situation and wanted to battle it out you might have a chance.
Any of these cases in Massachusetts?
Company I worked for had that rule. No weapons on the property including the parking lot. LOL! Carried to work everyday for 10 years. No one knew and I didn't tell them. I did warn HR that if they were ever going to have an Active Shooter drill they should probably let a few of us managers in on it. I retired this year, none of them any the wiser. Guess you have to be willing to get fired if they catch you and stick to their policies though.
The key here is TRUST NO ONE. Not you best buddy at work, the woman you are dating, you dog or you gerbil. If you go this route remember that two people can keep a secret only if one of them is dead.

Lol ok budđź‘Ś. I know you're one of the people on this forum who thinks he's the smartest in the room.
In all fairness you aren't setting a very high bar

ETA: there are some wicked smart and talented people on this site (settle down, cowboy, not speaking about you). I'm just a lovable, cuddly, lesbian wiseass

Last edited:
Your rights are protected from the government. You don't have a right to work for that company. That company has the privilege of setting policies for both customers and employees, within the law. If you don't like the policy, you can leave.

Basically this.

My company for decades actually had a company range and onsite matches. The range was in a LONG basement level between two buildings. That went away IIRC in the 90's. There's a no firearms policy, which I follow 100%. I like my job, and there's negligible threat between home and work. It's a PITA if I take off a half day to hunt, because I have to stop by home or a friend's house to drop off or pick up.

Some states, Alabama I think is one, have laws that allow employees to keep firearms in their cars while at work. Companies cannot enforce a rule against that.

IIRC, by the mid-1970s there had been a USSC ruling throwing out inappropriate workplace restrictions that were irrelevant to the work.
According to a 2018 law review article I link below
a 2011 OSHA health and safety manual (regulation)
addressed workplace violence for the first time.
And this raises the (yet untested) possibility
that the 22+ state Parking Lot laws may be preempted.

In the early 80's, one of the supervisors in my cost center
used to sport a sheath knife from his belt.

No one cared about pocket knives,
because everyone was an adult in the room.
But only recently have I now begun to marvel
at the sheath knife.

Q: What would have happened if he was stylin' at ML?

Your car is an extension of your home, it's your property, they can't tell you what you can/cannot have in your car if it's an open parking lot that is open to the public.
In a state without a Parking Lot Law?

Louisiana Law Review, Spring 2018
"Bring Your Gun to Work" and You're Fired: Terminated Employees' Potential Rights for Violations of Parking Lot Laws

If its a secure/gated/guarded parking lot then maybe they could but thats different.
Is that distinction because of the fear that guards will break into cars
and have a Parking Lot Pop?

That said I worked for Stone & Webster Engineering in Boston who had posted work rules. They stated that women's skirts had to be a minimum length, hair length (both men and women) could only be so long, IIRC it required women to wear nylons or pantyhose, etc. All this stuff was illegal, but it was enforced. This was all office workers in a secured building.

Companies do what they want wrt enforcing "workplace rules" on employees, sometimes even when said rules are illegal.
When I got out of college I worked for Chase Manhattan at corporate HQ in downtown Manhattan. They had a lot of unwritten dress code rules: Men: Long sleeve dress shirt, tie, blue or gray suit (brown was a major faux pas) although you could wear the tan/olive summer suits as well as seersucker in the Summer. Women: knee length skirt, hose. Flats were ok but heels were better. At your desk and in your department you could remove your jacket. If you got in an elevator or were in any public areas of the building, jackets on (you could take your jacket off in the cafeteria but had to bring it w you). Two newspapers were acceptable to be seen with, NYT or WSJ. NY Post & Daily News were not considered good career moves unless you were in clerical/back office operations in which case you could get away w short sleeve dress shirt w tie and read the Post or the News. Men didn’t have visible piercings and visible ink was also frowned upon.

No one bucked it or needed to be spoken to more than once. I suppose you could not follow the protocols but if you wanted advancement you did and very few people didn’t want advancement. I worked there from the ages of 21-30, was an awesome experience, wouldn’t trade it for anything. Visited 20 something countries on four continents, was making six figures as a 30 year old in the mid-90’s, had my own flip phone, laptop & corporate credit card. It put me in the position to eventually own my own business.

When I married the wife 63 years ago she was working for Boston Edison. She had to leave because company was no married women. Jack.

When I married the wife 63 years ago she was working for Boston Edison. She had to leave because company was no married women. Jack.
Go back far enough an a married woman working was considered to be stealing a job from a man. It was also an attempt to "cheat" by getting your family higher on the economic pecking order and tolerating it could cause it to become contagious and increase house prices.

Go back far enough an a married woman working was considered to be stealing a job from a man. It was also an attempt to "cheat" by getting your family higher on the economic pecking order and tolerating it could cause it to become contagious and increase house prices.

And look what happened since the 60's.

I'm saying you SHOULD be able to. Again the government can in fact force a business to not discriminate against people. That's established.
I am interested in the idea that you take issue with government breaking the natural right of free association for certain groups under the premise of civil rights purposes, but believe you should be able to enforce the same for the natural right of your choice.

Particularly peculiar logic, that.

Back
Top Bottom