• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can an employer tell you that you can’t bring a firearm to work?

That said I worked for Stone & Webster Engineering in Boston who had posted work rules. They stated that women's skirts had to be a minimum length, hair length (both men and women) could only be so long, IIRC it required women to wear nylons or pantyhose, etc. All this stuff was illegal, but it was enforced. This was all office workers in a secured building.

I worked at Stone & Webster in 1981 and 1982. Note I said "at" not for. I worked for Xerox in field service fixing copying machines and faxes. Stone & Webster had so much of our equipment with guaranteed response times and service levels that Xerox basically parked a rep in the building. I had my own little office in the copy center and all my parts were delivered there. I had a badge but it was a contractor badge.

Not really that peculiar when you consider that government at the state, local and federal level tells businesses how they can function all the time.
It's absolutely peculiar insofar as the idea of "civil" enforcement against free association.

My business, my rules. Actual free association, from the terms of what constitutes a natural right, dictates that I can choose to both refuse service, and employment, to anyone I choose for any reason I choose. Don't presume that your picking and choosing which rights should be defended in the wrong fashion makes you any less a hypocrite in actual practice.

I worked at Stone & Webster in 1981 and 1982. Note I said "at" not for. I worked for Xerox in field service fixing copying machines and faxes. Stone & Webster had so much of our equipment with guaranteed response times and service levels that Xerox basically parked a rep in the building. I had my own little office in the copy center and all my parts were delivered there. I had a badge but it was a contractor badge.
I was there from 1976 to 1978. You were much better off being a contractor than an employee. Only good things that happened to me there was making one life-long friend (since then) and my 2nd boss was a decent guy. The company sucked.

I'm sorry but I fail to see how a law prohibiting a business from banning firearms on their premises violates the right to private property. No one is being deprived of their property and it's a win for the 2nd amendment and for those who may in fact need a firearm to defend themselves.

Lol you are depriving the right of the person who owns said property to control how they use it and decide who they allow to use it.

Not rocket science.

Concealed is Concealed
As soon as you turn into that parking lot. Get that sheeple mindset
Should know who is 2nd and who is not.
Hi five and that special hand shake to those that do
And kittens and puppy videos to those that don't
and I up that bag of popcorn

View attachment 468541
Go Big or go home......
thOCARSGXU.jpg

OP - on a completely unrelated note, have I ever told you that my PM9 absolutely disappears in a front pocket with a decent pocket holster?
Or that a Sig 365 or a Glock 43 is virtually undetectable in a decent "in the waist band" holster?
There are other options in 380 but why would you bother? Its harder to find and more expensive than 9mm, and gay less effective.

I also just picked up one of these, for when one gun just isn't enough.
So mine just arrived, and although it fits like a literal glove... don't you sweat like a pig in this thing?

When I got out of college I worked for Chase Manhattan at corporate HQ in downtown Manhattan. They had a lot of unwritten dress code rules: Men: Long sleeve dress shirt, tie, blue or gray suit (brown was a major faux pas) although you could wear the tan/olive summer suits as well as seersucker in the Summer. Women: knee length skirt, hose. Flats were ok but heels were better. At your desk and in your department you could remove your jacket. If you got in an elevator or were in any public areas of the building, jackets on (you could take your jacket off in the cafeteria but had to bring it w you). Two newspapers were acceptable to be seen with, NYT or WSJ. NY Post & Daily News were not considered good career moves unless you were in clerical/back office operations in which case you could get away w short sleeve dress shirt w tie and read the Post or the News. Men didn’t have visible piercings and visible ink was also frowned upon.

No one bucked it or needed to be spoken to more than once. I suppose you could not follow the protocols but if you wanted advancement you did and very few people didn’t want advancement. I worked there from the ages of 21-30, was an awesome experience, wouldn’t trade it for anything. Visited 20 something countries on four continents, was making six figures as a 30 year old in the mid-90’s, had my own flip phone, laptop & corporate credit card. It put me in the position to eventually own my own business.
I know a guy in the Army Reserve. He told me that he was politely told that aviator-style sunglasses were not against regs, but were frowned upon unless you actually flew something.

Etiquette - it's what makes the world run smoothly.

I haven't worn it in warm weather, but I thought I had read something about it wicking moisture. It wasn't an issue when I used it.
I might try it out tomorrow. It's certainly well made, and the fit is tremendous.

I might try it out tomorrow. It's certainly well made, and the fit is tremendous.
It fits a little differently w a gun in it, lol. It all depends on the shape of the calf & ankle and the fit. Also be careful w/ the strap, if that gets loose you’ll snag the gun drawing it. I used mine mostly when I’d go to an offsite meeting once a month and wore a golf or dress shirt tucked in w khakis & no jacket, definitely didn’t want to wear it all day because it would slide down when I walked a lot.

When I worked at GE no firearms,ammo allowed in the plant. Guards stopped buddy of mine on the way out for the occasional security check they a fired shotgun shell in the car they were about to make a stink till my buddy brought up that the guard could go to jail just for possessing the shell and was willing to call the cops on it,they backed down and my buddy went home. Note the shell was in plain sight on the mat in the back seat

Back
Top Bottom