Can a person without a LTC posses an empty cartridge?

sn1

Say I , a person with a LTC, took a person without a LTC to a shooting range. Can they keep an empty cartridge without a license or is that still considered ammunition. Would it make a difference if the used primer was still in the cartridge?

Unfortunately Ma. considers any component of ammunition as ammunition. You might hurt someone with that piece of brass,powder, primer etc.[thinking]

Unfortunately Ma. considers any component of ammunition as ammunition. You might hurt someone with that piece of brass,powder, primer etc.[thinking]
Ah, I guess that answers my question about it being without the primer then. Weird you can go to a place like mass firearm school and shoot with a government ID but you cant keep the empty cartridge after.

Is it also a no without the primer in? Then I think it would just be brass art without it :)
In Ma Debbie does Dallas is art. Any ammo component is ammo and therefore it requires a license.

Ah, I guess that answers my question about it being without the primer then. Weird you can go to a place like mass firearm school and shoot with a government ID but you cant keep the empty cartridge after.
You never know you might get hurt with that inert object. Also in places like Ma. you could cause major panic among the masses.

Here is the definition of ammunition:

''Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges.​

Full text: https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexx/chapter140/section121

A cartridge case is defined to be “ammunition” and you must have an LTC or FID to possess ammunition in MA. So it is illegal in MA for someone without an FID or LTC to possess a spent cartridge case. Yes, that is ridiculous.

They are just keeping us safe from bullet belts, whistles, Keychain pendants and pens that just happen to be made of shell casings.

''Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges.​

Full text: https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexx/chapter140/section121

A cartridge case is defined to be “ammunition” and you must have an LTC or FID to possess ammunition in MA. So it is illegal in MA for someone without an FID or LTC to possess a spent cartridge case. Yes, that is ridiculous.
So what about earphones that use empty cartridges? I've seen people do this. Does that mean I cant bring those to places that ban firearms? I don't know their real name but if you just google for "bullet headphones".

Unless they have some other reason to bust you, it won’t be a problem. There are so many victimless crime laws in the books, most of which are never enforced. They are there so that if you don’t properly bow then they will be enforced against you. Then the least serious of them will be tossed in your plea deal.

I'm suprised Orange vests and Hats are not illegal . . . . Hunters are " Scary " . . . . Loud noises, Bambi , dead ducks , no anonymous hook ups in the Woods , . . . . . Oh! The Horror . . .

No, it is considered an ammunition component.

When my nephew was coming to NH to learn to shoot, he could take his targets home but we had to tell him no spent casings.

Now here is the MA stupidity. When I was active in the PGR, if a deceased service member got a gun salute at the cemetery, it was customary to police the brass and we would give it someone who gave it to the family, and IIRC one spent shell was given with the flag.

If the family member got caught with that spent cartridge
they could be screwed by the Commonwealth.... go effn figure.

Last edited:
So what about earphones that use empty cartridges? I've seen people do this. Does that mean I cant bring those to places that ban firearms? I don't know their real name but if you just google for "bullet headphones".

First, “no guns” signs are not statutorily valid in MA. They don’t mean anything. There is nothing in MGL that I’m aware of that says if there is a “no guns” sign that you can’t possess ammunition in that location.

You can’t have guns on school property. I’m not sure whether there is also a prohibition on ammunition on school property— I took a quick look at MGL Chapter 269 Section 10 and didn’t see anything, but I didn’t read it in its entirety. Even if it isn’t prohibited, carrying ammunition on school property (even just an empty cartridge case) would be very unwise.

Yes, I’ve seen someone wearing a belt made of empty cartridge cases. I doubt they had an LTC or FID. Yes, the could potentially get arrested, and I believe it has happened at least once in MA.

Wearing something like that in MA in general is stupid. Wearing it now with all the hysteria about mass shootings would be even more stupid. Wearing something like that on school property would indicate to me that the individual is TSTL.

No, No, No Not in MA When I was an instructor at the S&W Shooting Sport Center I would run a NSSF First Shots Two Class one Sunday a month. This class was an introduction to types of S&W hand guns and calibers. The class was limited to 10 and after class room instruction the students would be able to shoot various revolvers and semi automatic pistons in different calibers, all under strict supervision. If we had enough time at the end of the class I would bring out a S&W 500 revolver and would let anyone that had gone through the program to shoot one round. The biggest question I was asked was can I have the spent shell. Unfortunately it was a big disappointment to those unlicensed that I would have to tell them no because an empty shell is considered ammunition in MA and possessing even an empty shell was a crime if you do not have an LTC or FID.

What if it was turned into a keychain. Real cartridge with spent primer in it. Hole is drill through center of bullet. They sell these things everywhere 15658262777655976835566842777573.jpg

I’m just grateful they haven’t prohibited horse and buggy whips yet. Only a matter of time though.

Whatever you brought home from the range get rid of it. The popo are right now on their way over to shoot your dog while they confiscate unregistered and unlicensed ammunition.

Back
Top Bottom