Can a person without a LTC posses an empty cartridge?

Whatever you brought home from the range get rid of it. The popo are right now on their way over to shoot your dog while they confiscate unregistered and unlicensed ammunition.
Please not my dog, wait I don't have a dog never mind.

Remember the punk rocker that had the charges dismiss but still was forced to do community service?
Fake Ammo Causes Real Panic on MBTA Bus in Brighton — bpdnews.com

And those weren't even real. Spent casing or empty hull is enough to get you jacked up if the PD or DA really feel like ruining your life. Some a**h*** jurisdiction like Brookline, Springfield, or Longmeadow would have no problem stomping on you.

Say I , a person with a LTC, took a person without a LTC to a shooting range. Can they keep an empty cartridge without a license or is that still considered ammunition. Would it make a difference if the used primer was still in the cartridge?
I believe it’s ok if you’re an illegal, anyone else and you’re going to prison.

What if it was turned into a keychain. Real cartridge with spent primer in it. Hole is drill through center of bullet. They sell these things everywhere

Again, technically illegal. Are you likely to get jammed up over it? Probably not. But if a cop has a bad day or you mouth off to him...

Given today’s climate of mass shooting hysteria, why would you want to risk it?

If I have a rock without a sling? Ya stupid question, a rock was the first assault weapon.....Banned in Mass.

Actually, I think that the jawbone of an ass predates it. If you want to go non-human Genesis 3:24 has an angel with a flaming sword, to keep A&E from coming back in. (I knew the Book and gist, but had to look up the chapter and verse) Genesis 3:24 (KJV)

Or, according to 2001, it was a leg bone. [laugh]

I believe it’s ok if you’re an illegal, anyone else and you’re going to prison.
I forgot about this. That's right, if you're illegal you're legal but if you're legal you're illegal in Ma.;)[laugh]

Pretty sad that every all the Massachusetts Veterans Cemeteries are handing out felons to the families of fallen vets in the form of spent cartridges.

God Damn shame.

I even got a spent shell at an airshow in MA sometime in the 2000's. They had no idea they were giving out felonies to everyone. On a military base. That has metal detectors in the way back in.

It is a miracle no one has been killed by these spent shells they gave out, must have been hundreds of them. I mean really, it was a GAU-8! Think of the destruction I could have caused, if I only had a helicopter gunship to load this into.

Pretty sad that every all the Massachusetts Veterans Cemeteries are handing out felons to the families of fallen vets in the form of spent cartridges.

God Damn shame.

We received a spent cartridges from my father in laws military burial ceremony. All his grandchildren have one in remembrance... come and take it.

We received a spent cartridges from my father in laws military burial ceremony. All his grandchildren have one in remembrance... come and take it.

Yeah, I get it. Doesn’t change the fact it is a felony. Simply pointing out how screwed up the law is...like we need another example. Also, your out of your mind if you think there are not cops that would jam you up for it and an AG that might take you up on your challenge.

In Ma Debbie does Dallas is art. Any ammo component is ammo and therefore it requires a license.

I hear Debbie just "identifies" as Art now. She's on the hormone treatments and such. ;)

As far as this - think of what this would do if this stupid law existed in the 50's and 60's. Imagine how many trench art ashtrays are out there. I know my grandfather and uncles had a few.

What if it was turned into a keychain. Real cartridge with spent primer in it. Hole is drill through center of bullet. They sell these things everywhereView attachment 297551

I had that exact key chain confiscated at an airport. It was the cartridge I used to kill my first deer. This was over 20 years ago and security didn't like "what it represented" and took it.

Has anyone ever been convicted of illegal possession of a single spent cartridge?

IIRC, maybe 10 or so years ago, they tried to charge a young boy (elementary school age) with illegal possession on school grounds after he picked up a blank casing that was fired at a Memorial Day parade and brought it for show and tell. I think charges were eventually dropped, but he ended up being suspended for the remainder of the school year (which was only a couple weeks at that point).

ETA the articles I can find on it don't mention charges.

Souvenir rifle shell gets 4th-grader suspended
4th Grader Suspended for Bringing Memorial Day Souvenir to School

Last edited:
I was at Mass Firearms a while back and one of the instructors had a group on the range for a private session. One of them picked up a .22 casing and was looking at it. The instructor saw him and quickly let him know not to take it with him as a souvenir as it is grounds for cuffs without a LTC here in MA. Absolutely insane.

Whenever my kids are old enough to start coming to the range with me, I suppose I will have to frisk them before we get home to make sure they didn't pocket any spent casings. F*ck this state's gun laws. F*ck them soooo hard.

I was at Mass Firearms a while back and one of the instructors had a group on the range for a private session. One of them picked up a .22 casing and was looking at it. The instructor saw him and quickly let him know not to take it with him as a souvenir as it is grounds for cuffs without a LTC here in MA. Absolutely insane.
And, all the years this has been so, nobody has thought to buttonhole Mr. Friendly Staterep to introduce corrective legislation?

so in HS, my son had a drilled out nickel plated 223 bullet on his key chain. similar to this:
il_794xN.1903024315_vdg9.jpg

he dropped his keys leaving a classroom, a teacher picked them up for him...saw the bullet and said: "you know this is illegal, right?" my boy replied with our well rehearsed answer.."This? it's a bear tooth!" the teacher replied..."oh, that's ok"

No, it is considered an ammunition component.

When my nephew was coming to NH to learn to shoot, he could take his targets home but we had to tell him no spent casings.

Now here is the MA stupidity. When I was active in the PGR, if a deceased service member got a gun salute at the cemetery, it was customary to police the brass and we would give it someone who gave it to the family, and IIRC one spent shell was given with the flag.

If the family member got caught with that spent cartridge
they could be screwed by the Commonwealth.... go effn figure.
I was at a funeral a couple yrs ago for an active duty member and shots were passed around at the burial in large shell casings.

i once let a guy(licensed of course) borrow my SP1 because his friend who passed wanted his ashes loaded in .223/5.56 rounds and to be fired at his service, from what i heard they had several rifles to do this and mine was one of them. they said it went great!! dont know what happened to the casings?
Suprised the police didn't arrest the kids picking up the spent blank casings during the 4th of July parade.

also picking up casings at the 4th of july parade is one of my favorite memories!!! i guess i was a felon back when i was 6 years old!!

Last edited:
Suprised the police didn't arrest the kids picking up the spent blank casings during the 4th of July parade.
Most cops probably don't know about this part of the law. And many cops will turn a blind eye to it due to the event it happens at.

Yeah, I get it. Doesn’t change the fact it is a felony. Simply pointing out how screwed up the law is...like we need another example. Also, your out of your mind if you think there are not cops that would jam you up for it and an AG that might take you up on your challenge.
However, every PD has at least one A-hole cop who would jack someone up for anything that they think might stick.

I had that exact key chain confiscated at an airport. It was the cartridge I used to kill my first deer. This was over 20 years ago and security didn't like "what it represented" and took it.
Security (back then)/TSA (now) can and do make up their own "rules" under threat of being arrested or denied your flight. This is the primary reason that I will not fly anymore after a pissing contest with security in 2001 (Sea-Tac) and a self-important TSA jerk (West Palm Beach) in 2003.

Back
Top Bottom