1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Cambridge wants to remove sword from state flag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TayNinh_66, May 16, 2019.

1. TayNinh_66

TayNinh_66

Last edited: May 16, 2019

2. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

Someone else can say it. :p

Greg

whatluck and Penniepup1 like this.
  3. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

4. John4166

John4166 NES Member

Rich liberals with nothing better to do.

5. Wildcard

Wildcard NES Member

The state flag is pretty lame though. Not the worst but not the best either. Only problem I have with changing it is they would probably choose something worse.

6. bauer

bauer NES Member

Lank, mrdubin, vickers and 4 others like this.
  7. JenkkiMike

JenkkiMike

They could just make it this one. The motto is very fitting since it is basically all that those of us with any sense left can do in Massachusetts anymore.

Attached Files:

8. whacko

whacko

The guy is quoted as saying we in mass live on stolen land.

Is his rich ass volunteering to move?

I don't think that flag represents decapitating Indians. These people are f***ing crazy

9. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

Right lol give it back if you feel that way

10. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

are they trying to remove the sword or the Injun?

11. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Removing the sword gets rid of the Indians way to defend himself from the colonial invaders, leaving him helpless. This seems appropriate for Massachusetts way of thinking.

mjbitt and whatluck like this.
  12. upcountry

upcountry NES Member

I grew up in Cambridge and worked in MA 'til I retired.
    That's why I live in Arizona now.

Radtekk likes this.
  13. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

We didn't exactly "steal" their land, we kicked their ass's and took it. [wink]

If they want it back, they're more than welcome to try, but I'm predicting it wouldn't
    be a favorable outcome.

Rehoboth Dave and mjbitt like this.
  14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad NES Member

Maybe the Indians should have built a wall.

mjbitt and Radtekk like this.
  15. upcountry

upcountry NES Member

I can't remember the book but in that book an Indian, John JoJola from the Taos pueblo said "We're the first Americans. We just needed better immigration laws".

LLF likes this.
  16. LLF

LLF NES Member

I grew up in Cambridge too. Porter Square area. I haven't been back there since 2011 when my father died. Back in the 80s we used to refer to Cambridge as "Peoples Republic of Cambridge" or "Kremlin on the Charles". If anything it is now worse than ever. This whining about the flag is just another example of Cantabridgian moonbattiness.

17. LLF

LLF NES Member

"Whatever happens
    We have got
    The Maxim gun
    And they have not"

18. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

Indians would cut off the limbs of enemies after a win. Maybe that's what that depicts. Cambridge people are so Indiafobic.

mjbitt likes this.
  19. Knob Creek

Knob Creek NES Member

If we just called it a "Cheese knife" instead of a sword would that be socially acceptable?

20. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

Chief Massasoit is a cool old indian. I'd Hate to see him go. Damn Cambridge. Dumbest people around!

21. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Do they also want to recall MA state quarters with an armed militaman on the reverse from circulation? And will NJ, the only other state with a gun on its state quarter pull their quarter? The guns are hard to see on the NJ 1/4 but it depicts WA crossing the Deleware before the era of bridges.

22. whatluck

whatluck

I love how people like to pretend the laws of war and theft don't apply just because it's the 21st century.

23. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

1) Dupe

Removing The Massachusetts State Flag

2) "Laws of War" are fluid and functionally applicable only when both sides are equally balanced, more or less. Laws of war in the currently-understood sense are also a relatively modern concept originating from the late 1800s. Nuremberg was the first "war crimes" trial and arguably Nuremberg was a show trial. The victors in Nuremberg wrote the rulebook. Not saying the Nazis and Japanese war criminals shouldn't have hanged, its just important to see all sides of the argument.

There's basically a few phases of colonial settlement in Southern New England. First phase was tense but more or less peaceful coexistence between the English and natives from 1620-1636. Then there was the Pequot War when Mass and proto-CT forces teamed up with the Narragansett and Mohegan to effectuate genocide against the Pequot. Between the Pequot War and King Philip's War in 1675 was a long period of peace where the English generally bargained and paid for land. RI's four founding cities were settled in this peaceful period between the Pequot War and King Philip's War. Roger Williams bought what is now Providence County, Anne Hutchinson's group bought Aquidneck Island, and Samuel Gorton bought more or less what is Kent County. Some deals were coerced, some were fair. RI tended to make fair deals with natives with the stronger Mass Bay and CT colonies being more demanding. Look into the history of Deerfield and Springfield and the English basically demanded food and support from the natives at first (although Springfield became a key trading point between natives and English). In RI, the colony was dependent on a peaceful environment between itself, natives, Mass Bay, and Plymouth.

King Philip's War was a response by the natives against English settlement and demands for land. Both sides exacted equal cruelty on each other. Tell a bunch of Narragansett and Wampanoag about medieval-era notions of chivalry or complex legal theories developed by Grotius or Coke, I'm sure they would listen back in 1675. Lots of towns got burned, many POWs taken, many brutal killings. English won though.

After King Philip's War, eastern Mass, RI, and most of CT were safe from native raids supported by the French. Northern and western Mass, NH, and Maine were the frontiers and as such lawless, violent, and dependent on mother colonies like Mass Bay. This period stabilized once Mass started asserting control over the NH/VT/Maine area in the 1740s and wars with natives in New England largely ended with the English victory in the French and Indian War.

Nations agree to laws of war in situations where the sides are balanced and there's a goal of trying to minimize collateral damage in the war. When there's a war between France and the Holy Roman Empire, or France and England, or Sweden and Denmark, both sides cannot destroy each other. But when the sides are fighting for survival, such notions of chivalry or lawful war go out the window. From the invaded's point of view, your goal is to get your pound of flesh and to drive out the invader. The invader's goal is to assert control over the area and effect pacification.

Self-defense doesn't just apply when there's a burglar in your home at midnight or when someone's trying to rob your wife. Nations, especially young nations in the early throws of their birth, have the right to self-defense and existence. Again, I'm quite sure an attempt to explain jurisprudence authored by 17th and 18th century legal scholars would've been either laughed at or ignored by the natives back then.

24. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

In today's society, they would find a bunch of people blowing their rape whistles while curled up in the fetal position crying.

And the ones that dare defend themselves would go to jail.

They should totally come back and claim it, they would win.

25. bolt

bolt

I'm as sure as TRUMP is it would have slowed down todays open borders!

A wall lining the Atlantic shores w/armament and the like would certainly have slowed down the "confiscation" and overtake of this nation riches. jmo.

26. Lank

Lank NES Member

Cambridge is always scrambling to be the most woke.