~ California Ammo Ban . . .

CABAN-111.png

IMPORTANT NOTE ON CALIFORNIA HANDGUN AMMO BAN !!

Starting the end of January no ammo dealers including J&G Sales may continue to ship handgun ammo to individuals that live in California. This is a new law, now passed and signed by Gov Arnold called AB962. All handgun ammo sales in California will have to be face to face with a thumbprint provided and a log entry made of the sale. Mail order pistol ammo will be a thing of the past, with exceptions only for deliveries to FFL dealers and C&R holders if they have a COE . We encourage everyone to stock up now to avoid being cutoff!​

Glad I got out of there a year ago. I remember when I moved from MA to CA in 1982 I had to sign for anything that a handgun might be chambered for (.22LR included). Some republican Gov. got rid of that expensive and pointless law a few years later.

Lawsuit Filed Challenging California's Mail-Order Ammo Ban

When misguided legislators pass bad laws, sometimes the only thing to do is fight back - in court. We're pleased to announce that two businesses and a USMC Veteran have filed suit in Federal District Court to strike down California's AB 962. (cont.)

Could someone explain what a COE is?

"Mail order pistol ammo will be a thing of the past, with exceptions only for deliveries to FFL dealers and C&R holders if they have a COE "

I lived there when the had their previous idiotic ammo purchase registration scheme. A friend's comment was "[bleep] 'em. I've got 20,000 primers and 1200lbs of wheel weights in my garage." Always nice to know I'm not the only one thinking ahead.

Ken

Could someone explain what a COE is?

"Mail order pistol ammo will be a thing of the past, with exceptions only for deliveries to FFL dealers and C&R holders if they have a COE "

Certificate of Eligibility, need to apply to the Department of Ammunition Sales to obtain one, good luck!

This will just create a black market ammo trade, you see how well they have done with drugs an illegals

AB962 is very old news and is very unlikely to go into effect as scheduled. There are no fewer than three legal challenges to the law using every argument from Commerce Clause to ADA to FAAAA.

Cali residents will still be able to receive ammo by mail order come February.

Ammunition manufacturers who supply the state of Kalifornia need to be boycotted on a national nevel.

If this passes. [thinking]

Last edited:
Who has it worse....us or cali?
In most regards - Cali has it worse...

They cannot transfer/buy/sell even pre-ban hi-cap mags... "assault" weapons (i.e. scary black rifles), either have to be severely neutered or have been in your hands pre-ban IIRC..

Then there's the mess they've made of transferring guns into the state which makes it nearly impossible and now ammo...

The one thing Cali has going for it is more funding to fight these things... They are better funded and have a head start, but hopefully we will catch up soon enough...

Who has it worse....us or cali?

We have it worse - at least in this instance. California gun owners have a clearly unconstitutional law they can confront head-on in the courts. By contrast we have AG spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt back by lame legal threats that have scared off businesses wanting to sell to us. You can't sue the state because businesses are scared.

We have it worse - at least in this instance. California gun owners have a clearly unconstitutional law they can confront head-on in the courts. By contrast we have AG spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt back by lame legal threats that have scared off businesses wanting to sell to us. You can't sue the state because businesses are scared.

So has marsha brought up charges on dealers previously out of state? I mean that would technically be turned over to federal correct?

So has marsha brought up charges on dealers previously out of state? I mean that would technically be turned over to federal correct?

No, the current AG has not, to my knowledge, engaged in the kind of activity that her predecessor did back in 2002-03 that got us into this situation. But then again she doesn't really have to. The damage was done and most major retailers won't ship ammo to MA even though it's perfectly legal to do so.

In 2002-03 the AG's office under Tom Reilly conducted a series of internet sting purchases of dangerous products such as nunchucks, ammo, etc. At least seven out-of-state companies including MidwayUSA were targeted and threatened with consumer protection lawsuits if they did not sign a consent decree and pay between $2,500 and $5,000.

The AG's position was that these companies engaged in the
"unfair and/or deceptive practice of selling ammunition without a proper state license, and selling ammunition without requiring purchasers to proffer appropriate state permits..."

These companies did the logical cost/benefit analysis, paid the state and closed up shop here. Most other companies took the hint and did so as well.

I bet the bad guys will pay as much attention to the ammo laws as they do the firearm laws. When will these people lean criminals don't care what the law says. If they did they woudl not be criminals.

Bad news (for now) on this case. The two federal lawsuits challenging AB962 were dismissed. They're weren't ripe since the statue has not gone into effect. Same judge in both cases.

OOIDA v. Lindley
State Ammunition et al v. Lindley

There's still one more suit in the state courts.

So a signed and published law that will under no uncertain terms become active is not enough for standing until it actually impinges on an entire state's rights. Gotta love that logic.

Back
Top Bottom