Cabela's Hudson MA

I went last night at 6:30pm, I got a Cabela's Club invitation in the mail. They were actually checking invitations last night. There was a granny holding position #1 in the overnight line with a tent already pitched, she seemed a little overdressed (formal-wise). By the time I left at 7:45 there were 4-5 additional people in the line behind her. They were having fun, one yelled out "hey, free camping!" to someone else as I walked by.

Beautiful store overall, they've got the wilderness ambiance sounds playing. I cruised the store and had a pulled pork sandwich for dinner. The fish tank was cool. Store was bright and I thought well laid out. The used gun inventory was nice to see, thought it was smaller than it should be, I wish it were at least twice the size. The used selection was interesting, but not in exactly a good way, I think they'll sit there a while. Prices seemed okay, but a lot of odd/ends in terms of 30" and 26" barrels, and 16/20ga.

Guns/Accessories wise, my sense is that I'll go there if I need something small that I don't want to pay butt-rape shipping on, or if I need something right away or a product I want to see in person. I'd also probably go for camping gear once in a while. It was nice to see that much ammo, although the prices leave something to be desired. I'll keep my eyes open for ammo sales.

I got a small chuckle out of them selling the tactical collapsible stocks and pistol grips sets in MA.

I ended up buying a box of the Federal .22 325rnds for $19 (glanced at LTC at front checkout) and on a whim I bought a deep fryer, the 3 liter model was on sale for $40 ($80 regularly).

Last edited:
I went Tuesday. It's a Cabelas, same as all the rest. Don't get me wrong, I love the store but generally for very specific things. Trying on hunting clothes, boots, comparing things and seeing them in person etc. The prices are never great. No deals on ammo I saw. 1000 PMC .223 (could have been 5.56) was $409. 420 round can of M193 for $209. $18 for the 325 Federal automatch .22lr was better than the $25 at Four Seasons but still I wasn't buying any.

I priced out a reloading setup and it was still cheaper from FS Reloading or Titan even with shipping included.

It was nice to roam around without any crowds and I have never had so much help from the staff before, they were will staffed Tuesday with a pretty low customer base so it was great. I certainly wouldn't brave it today or even for the next few weeks.

From Facebook posts, it's a complete mad house today. Someone posted a picture from where they parked and you can barely even seen the Cabela's entrance lol.

Great, the traffic at 62/495 will no doubt be a fustercluck today when I try to get home...since it's <10 min from home, I'll wait a couple weeks for the madness to subside before going over.

From Facebook posts, it's a complete mad house today. Someone posted a picture from where they parked and you can barely even seen the Cabela's entrance lol.

Are there real deals? or is this just the ever-diligent American Consumer with Shiny Object Syndrome.

Great, the traffic at 62/495 will no doubt be a fustercluck today when I try to get home...since it's <10 min from home, I'll wait a couple weeks for the madness to subside before going over.

My thought exactly -- and I am also 10 minutes from the store.

Was there last night for the pre-grand opening for members. Got .22 for under 5 cents a round, one box only.

Not impressed with the prices, in general.

One thing that stood out to me was they had Gulp brand crawdads and shrimp in the fishing section. I wonder if Cabella's corporate understands fishing at all. Those are useless in New England.

They do have high end reels available, which is nice if you don't want to order and wait for them online. Still pricey though.

Other than that, not hugely impressed outside of the fact that now we have Dick's, Bass Pro and Cabella's to choose from. Now we just need an LL Bean to open up nearby and we'll be good to go.

Also, I don't understand why as we were leaving the store at 8pm last night, that people were lining up in tents to be ready for the "grand Opening". I asked a fw folks why they were there, would there be great deals this morning, and they said no, they just wanted to be the first ones in. I was one of the first ones in and didn't have to camp over night in the rain to do it. Hell, all they had to do was apply for a Cabella's card and they were in. No need for camping last night. Jeesh, some people have no lives.

Last edited:
Other than that, not hugely impressed outside of the fact that now we have Dick's, Bass Pro and Cabella's to choose from. Now we just need an LL Bean to open up nearby and we'll be good to go.

There is an LLBean with decent fly fishing section in Woburn/Burlington line (Rt. 3 S, by the Capital Grill).

REI in Reading for crossover to more backpacking camping, as opposed to car or hunting camping.

Are there real deals? or is this just the ever-diligent American Consumer with Shiny Object Syndrome.

The latter. Who knows maybe 1 door buster or something but it's like like there was a store wide sale or a lot of cpeacial discounts.

Camping out... The first 50 people in the door get a gift card with up to $500 on it. They do this for major openings.

Ikea gives the 1st person in a new store up to $4000. No idea about the other early shoppers.

There is an LLBean with decent fly fishing section in Woburn/Burlington line (Rt. 3 S, by the Capital Grill).

REI in Reading for crossover to more backpacking camping, as opposed to car or hunting camping.

There is an LL bean in dedham too. It's right near the Fox25 building if I remember correctly.

There is an LL bean in dedham too. It's right near the Fox25 building if I remember correctly.

That would put it in Legacy Place. Forgot about that one. There is one in Mansfield on Rte. 140 as well, smallish store with limited supply of goods but you can do online order from there and IIRC no shipping charges.

Hmm, no one is answering the phone at the Mass AG office. Just saying..[rolleyes]

They're probably busy dealing with the RAT's phone calls reporting that ammo and guns are left out for people to "touch" in the store.

--------------

BTW, it appears that their policy is also to walk you to the door with the gun in the clerk's hands after you purchase. I saw that happen on Monday evening with a rifle (no box, might have been one of their used guns).

It wasnt that bad, I was too late to get a ticket for the gift cards. They filled up the parking lot aisle in front of the door, then they zigzagged people through the other lanes to form the line. You all might bash it, but I think its pretty cool store. I didnt price out ammo but I say a 250 round box of 45 for $119, seemed like a good deal from what I've seen so far. Drove down from Lowell, took 495. On the way back the off ramp was packed, can only imagine the delay.
image1 (1).jpg

It wasnt that bad, I was too late to get a ticket for the gift cards. They filled up the parking lot aisle in front of the door, then they zigzagged people through the other lanes to form the line. You all might bash it, but I think its pretty cool store. I didnt price out ammo but I say a 250 round box of 45 for $119, seemed like a good deal from what I've seen so far. Drove down from Lowell, took 495. On the way back the off ramp was packed, can only imagine the delay.
View attachment 132429

Cool fire trucks with flag!

They opened the store after the national anthem. You could tell they weren't opening a Wal-Mart because as soon as people heard the girl sing it, they shut up and took off their hats! [laugh]

I've been a Cabelas "Club Member" since 2000 and have spent a good deal of $$ in their stores out west as well as online. Their customer service has been top notch whenever I've needed to deal with them. They love MSRP...but you can find great deals there (ammo and sporting goods/apparel...not usually firearms) if you are not looking for a specific "I need it now" item and be patient (or maybe get lucky). My only problem with the store opening is that now they will be charging sales tax on online purchases here in Mass, which to this point they haven't.

Hell order your ammo online and pick up in store. however I was on the cabelas website and could not find the cheap herters steel cased ammo.

Camping out... The first 50 people in the door get a gift card with up to $500 on it.

I believe it was the first 500 in line get a gift card with a value ranging from $5 to $500. There was talk about it on page 2 of this thread.

Hell order your ammo online and pick up in store. however I was on the cabelas website and could not find the cheap herters steel cased ammo.

As of right now, you can't order ammo on-line and pick it up in the MA store. I used to do it at the CT store until they changed the ammo laws down there.

Back
Top Bottom