Cabela's Fudd Rant

So I was in Cabela's in Hartford today, just picking up some ammo, bullets, and powder. As I'm browsing the aisles, I overhear two guys behind the gun counter talking about some of the AR's. In particular, about a $1200 one decked out in all kinds of goodies.

Some Fudd comes up to the counter and says, "Now tell me, why would anyone want that? It's not like .223 is any good for whitetail. Blah blah blah". The Cabela's workers started to explain about the various uses for AR's, but I just felt the need to bitch slap this guy and tell him, "Because we f'ing can. Where does the 2A say its only for your bolt action or your over-under skeet gun?"

God, people like that drive me nuts. Shooters need to stick together. /rant

I completely agree, but.....

rant-o-meterBOTHERED.jpg

Maybe he prefers the .50 beowulf :)
I look at stuff in gun stores all the time and wonder who the hell would want some of the stuff they're selling. ie) I don't like revolvers. Well except of course my 586 with the 8 3/8" barrel and my bear cat and my single six and my model 60 and my Wyatt Earp commemorative(seriously who the hell would want one of those but I just had to have it). Oh crap. Never mind.

"Because we f'ing can. Where does the 2A say its only for your bolt action or your over-under skeet gun?"

Why do you automatically assume that bolt actions and over-unders are for fudds? I shoot my Beretta 687 EELL more often than any of my other guns and I have far more bolt-actions than I do black rifles.

Fuddism is about people, not their guns.

Why do you automatically assume that bolt actions and over-unders are for fudds? I shoot my Beretta 687 EELL more often than any of my other guns and I have far more bolt-actions than I do black rifles.

I didn't assume they are for Fudds. I've got a few bolt guns. But your typical fudd likely stop's their collection at the few guns they define as "useful" or whatever their reasoning.

I think he was just naming guns a fudd might use, not saying that those are, in fact, fudd guns.

EDIT: nvm, he clarified.

Someone needs to get Carolyn McCarthy to sponsor a bill banning the "Knobby Thing That Goes Back" instead of the "Shoulder Thing That Goes Up." Maybe then the fudds will pay attention.

-edit- *disclaimer* I have all the respect in the world for whatever gun you want to shoot. If I was on a rooftop, I'd pick a bolt gun. My problem is with the fudds, not their hardware.

Someone needs to get Carolyn McCarthy to sponsor a bill banning the "Knobby Thing That Goes Back" instead of the "Shoulder Thing That Goes Up." Maybe then the fudds will pay attention.

-edit- *disclaimer* I have all the respect in the world for whatever gun you want to shoot. If I was on a rooftop, I'd pick a bolt gun. My problem is with the fudds, not their hardware.

Or that lever doo-dad. I heard they can fire a new baby seeking bullet EACH time they operate it.

Where does the 2A say its only for your bolt action or your over-under skeet gun?"

The 2A has nothing to do with hunting.

Were they simply claiming that no one should own one for hunting because the rifle was a poor hunting tool? Or, were they claiming that no one should own one for any reason because they are poor hunting tools?

Those are two very different arguments.

The first is only relative to hunting technique. The second is an attack on your right to defend your life with the tools provided for in the 2A.

I was working next door to Cabela's right after they built that one... They weren't stocking AR's then, I asked about it, their response was 'it's not a sporting rifle'

Glad to see they now have them.

I would have just laughed and said "Oh, this little .223 is just for my 10 y.o. to plink cans with, I use the Barrett .50 for whitetail"![laugh]

On a lighter note; see anything good while you were there. I'm heading down next week. Also, are AR's allowed in CT now? I thought they were banned there.

I think what separates fudds from shooters is one simple act... Fuds dont really get enjoyment out of shooting for the most part. The shotgun or Bolt action or whatever they choose to own is really just a means for hunting. Other than deer and turkey season they dont shoot. I'd gather to say most dont shoot at all unless they site in or happen to see a deer or turkey. I wouldnt even put trap/ skeet/ sporting clay shooters in the fudd category because they are out enjoying their shotguns for more than just to harvest meat. Shooters like to shoot, most anything that goes bang they find a use and enjoyment out of. Shooters have an appreciation for most everything that goes bang. At least thats how I see it.

Back
Top Bottom