C5 rapid decompression en route to KBED

BostonVI

NES Member
2014-02-08 12:45: BEDFORD MA (HANSCOM AFB) Military transport plane on route ETA 13:15hrs up to 30 to be eval for poss decompression inj EMS units staging C52

Where you getting this from? More info please.

If it's decompression, it must be some type of explosion.

BEDFORD (CBS) - Crews were staging at Hanscom Air Force base for an emergency involving a incoming plane. According to the Air Force Public Information Officer, there was an in-flight emergency on a military transport plane traveling from Germany. Hanscom is one of three locations where crews are staging for the possible emergency landing.
(
NECN) - On Saturday afternoon, an Airforce C-5, or a military transport aircraft, requested an emergency landing for an inflight emergency. The other possible locations are Pease National Guard Base in Portsmouth, NH and Westover Air Force Base in Chicopee, Mass.

What I got off the pager said it's a C5 Galaxy with 30+ people on board suffering a loss of cabin pressure.
They're making an emergency landing at Hanscom and called for extra ambulances and rescue personnel.

It would be one thing if were just one or two people, but how do you scramble together enough hyperbolic chambers to treat 30 people within a few hours notice?

Thankfully everyone is OK. If there's one thing I don't mind my tax money going towards it's extra training for exactly this sort of thing. Without inter-agency comms and cooperation, incidents like this could be a real cluster f***.

hanscom-emergency-still-020814-jpg.jpg
Inter-agency comms and cooperation seem to keep incidents like this from turning into a complete cluster f***.

Was coming down Mt Monadnock in Jaffrey and noticed the plane flying extremely low and just looked out of place. Guess that explains it.

They probably emergency descended to 18K afterwards for the remainder of the flight. Depending on the specifics.

Yeah, it was a hyperbole joke - 'hyperbolic chamber', 'exaggerated the need'...

I thought it was funny...

It would be one thing if were just one or two people, but how do you scramble together enough hyperbolic chambers to treat 30 people within a few hours notice?

They wouldn't need hyperbaric or hyperbolic chambers. The problem mostly self corrects when they get down to an altitude where there is sufficient oxygen. Hyperbaric chambers are for people who dive to deep and then come up too fast. And for people with severe smoke inhalation. The only one in MA (as far as I know) is at the MA Eye and Ear. Well, the only one that the public has access to. The next nearest ones are in CT.

They wouldn't need hyperbaric or hyperbolic chambers. The problem mostly self corrects when they get down to an altitude where there is sufficient oxygen. Hyperbaric chambers are for people who dive to deep and then come up too fast. And for people with severe smoke inhalation. The only one in MA (as far as I know) is at the MA Eye and Ear. Well, the only one that the public has access to. The next nearest ones are in CT.

Well I didn't ask for them, the Air Force did. At least initially.

There's a few more since the last time you checked.

http://www.hyperbariclink.com/TreatmentCenters/TreatmentCentersList.aspx?&cid=USA&sid=MA

Apparently Andrews was the nearest base with the ability to accommodate such a large amount of people for decompression sickness at once. Part of the reason they were staging at Hanscom/Westover in the first place was because they were the closest AF Bases with hyperbaric chambers.

Well an aircraft is pressurized to what, 10k feet? If they lose pressure at 30k feet, and descend back to sea level, why would they need a hyperbaric chamber?

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

There is no specific altitude that can be considered an absolute altitude exposure threshold, below which it can be assured that no one will develop altitude DCS. However, there is very little evidence
of altitude DCS occurring among healthy individuals at altitudes below 18,000 ft. who have not been SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) diving. Individual exposures to altitudes between 18,000 ft. and 25,000 ft. have shown a low occurrence of altitude DCS. Most cases of altitude DCS occur among individuals exposed to altitudes of 25,000 ft. or higher. A US Air Force study of altitude DCS cases reported that only 13% occurred below 25,000 ft. The higher the altitude of exposure, the greater the risk of developing altitude DCS. It is important to clarify that although exposures to incremental altitudes above 18,000 ft. show an incremental risk of altitude DCS, they do not show a direct relationship with the severity of the various types of DCS (see Table 1).

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/dcs.pdf

Back
Top Bottom