• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R List vs. Assault Weapon Ban

USMA-82

NES Member
I know it's probably been addressed already (100 lashings with a wet noodle from Len), but I'm still not clear:

If a semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle has multiple evil features listed in the Mass Assault Weapons ban regs (but is clearly listed on the federal list as a C&R firearm), can it be purchased by a Massachusetts C&R Licensee?

Thanks!

If it's C&R, it's over 50 years old, which makes it pre ban, so you can do whatever with it. So I don't think this actually becomes an issue until 2044, and by then either everything including airsoft will be outlawed, or AmRev2 will have been won and we'll all be sporting Browning Machine Guns on our corn powered cars if that's what floats our boats.

I could see where maybe a commemorative of say an M16 were granted C&R status and was not 50yrs old. That could be a problem.
I don't have my book in front of me but I know there are some commemoratives less than 50yrs that are listed.

Most of the things on the list are under 50 years, or were at the time they were added to the list. The only real reason for anything to be listed is if it's less than 50 years old, since everything else is automatically C&R eligible.

Ken

Correct. As long as it was made PRE-9/13/1994, it matters not if it is C&R, on the C&R List, etc. It's legal to own them here with proper class of LTC.

ONLY issue are items (including mags) made after 9/13/1994.

I had a guy argue with my friend and I that were shooting our M44 Mosins at the range one day that the side folding bayonet was illegal and we'd be arrested and lose our licenses if caught with them. No matter how much we tried explaining C&R status, pre ban, etc. the guy still insisted we were going to bring heat down on us and the range and was down right rude about it.
I know this doesn't apply to magazine fed semi auto C&Rs but just goes to show some folks are green when it comes to laws and will try and bust yer balls even though they don't know better.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I had a guy argue with my friend and I that were shooting our M44 Mosins at the range one day that the side folding bayonet was illegal and we'd be arrested and lose our licenses if caught with them. No matter how much we tried explaining C&R status, pre ban, etc. the guy still insisted we were going to bring heat down on us and the range and was down right rude about it.
I know this doesn't apply to magazine fed semi auto C&Rs but just goes to show some folks are green when it comes to laws and will try and bust yer balls even though they don't know better.
His name wasn't Rosenthal, was it?[devil]

Milsurps 4 Me said:

He's an idiot Mil and if he makes a stink about it at any meeting, he'll only make himself look worse. Some people just can't admit when they're wrong and stupid. [wink]

Milsurps & Jon:

The reason for the original question is this - got a guy from PA offering an Egyptian FN-49 (8mm) for $500 even. He sent pictures and it looks to be in great shape - but I wanted to make sure I was OK legally.

Can't afford it with all the other recent purchases lately, but that hasn't stopped me before..... The FN-49's on GunBroker going for $650 - 800 are driving me crazy, and I've got that "get it while you still can" feel down the back of my neck.

Ken

Milsurps 4 Me said:
It just burns my a**, when a gun owner helps the other side by spreading these kind of ignorant opinions as "law". Goes double for gunshop clerks, who are seen as experts in these matters, by new or prospective gun owners.[angry]

Milsurps 4 Me said:

What this shows is how stupid this Liberal gun owner was. He hasn't a clue and you could beat him to death with the truth and he still wouldn't believe you. He is like the stupid rifle/shotgun owner that hates black guns and thinks they should be eliminated and that these laws will never affect his guns. The next time you run into him. You tell him to read the laws about C&R's. Then and only then can he come and argue the issue with you. See what he has to say to that. Sounds to me like he has a bad case of diahrea of the mouth and constipation of the brain.

Back
Top Bottom